Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what are some other things you controll with Apex

Frequent Visitor
    The PSC05 is the two way version, not the CM11a. CM11A will not work
    -=Bryan=-

The CM111A connects to a computer to allow software on the computer to operate X10 devices, so it definitely will not work with Apex or AC3.

Regular Vistor
    Anyone know of a way to control an Insteon thermostat with the Apex? I'd live for my AC to come on if my tank temp aches are certain max temp.

New User
    you can rig it up in a round about way. a thermostat is just a fancy user interface for a i/o terminal. so if you were to connect say either a x10 or just a outlet off of your energy bar to a ~3 vdc adapter, then grab any electronic car relay. The power adapter replaces the wire normally used for the ignition key. So you have four wires on the relay, common 3V, hot 3V, and the two wires from your furnace.

you could just add another thermostat wire in addition to your existing one. This would allow you to program code to the three volt adapter, such that "Set OFF...... If Disp_Temp > 84.0 Then ON". So the tank reaches 84, turns on 3V power pack, power pack triggers relay, relay closes thermostat circuit, closed thermostat circuit turns on ac overriding your normal home thermostat. Then when the temp falls back to 82, the 3V is shut off causing the inverse to happen.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    I never wrote anything up on X10 because it's not a Neptune supported function. It's pretty simple though.

1. create virtual outlets. Instructions in the Reference Manual. When you do, you will give them a starting address like 'A1'. Then they get created with A1, A2, A3, etc.
    2. Those address match the address on the X10 devices. You manually set them on each device using either dials or dip switches.
    3. You connect the Apex controller to the X10 controller via the 'control' port on the Apex (you need the full Apex to do this - the Jr. lacks this port). You use a regular 4-wire phone cord (not a 2-wire, a 4-wire).
    4. The X10 controller plugs into a wall outlet and from there, communicates to the various devices via the control number A1, A2, A3, etc.
    5. Then program the Apex as any other outlet. I think I figured out one time there's a max of 56 X10 devices but remember, you're using your virtual outlets for these. If you use all 56 you won't have any more virtual outlets for other things. Of course, that's a lot of X10 devices so it's probably not a problem but just wanted to mention it.

So it goes Apex ---> X10 Controller ---> X10 devices
    I'm trying to set up an x10. so far I added a DC8 module to give me 8 outlets. Started them at B1 to B8. I plugged in the psc04 to the apex with a 4 wire phone cord. Plugged in the appliance module and switched it to B1. Anything wrong so far? So now this should work right? The item I plugged into the wall outlet is on but not controllable. I'm pretty sure they are on the same phase side of the panel. I will check that next.Thanks for any input.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Reef View Post
    I'm trying to set up an x10. so far I added a DC8 module to give me 8 outlets. Started them at B1 to B8. I plugged in the psc04 to the apex with a 4 wire phone cord. Plugged in the appliance module and switched it to B1. Anything wrong so far? So now this should work right? The item I plugged into the wall outlet is on but not controllable. I'm pretty sure they are on the same phase side of the panel. I will check that next.Thanks for any input.
    Instructions say that there should be short blink when a command is sent but that is not happening either. Is there something that you need to program with the 4 wire cord. I know the DC8's have dip switches.

Regular Vistor
    Can anyone help me here?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Info is available in the "Unoffical" guide to the Apex. Basically you will need a PSC04 transmitter ~$15.00 that interfaces with the Apex, then whatever modules you need to control the equipment ~$10.00 each. All modules found on Ebay. Programming is done in the Apex and the X10 module becomes another device. Actually it's referenced by the Control address of the module.

How is the PSC04 actually hooked up to the apex? I actually want to hook up to somehitng like this http://commandfusion.com/hardware/cfmini or http://www.commandfusion.com/hardware/irblaster.

Basically I want my apex to control my aircon unit to switch on or off base on the probe temp. My aircon needs to be controlled via IR. I also intend to use my apex to set schedules for my aircon to switch on and off for a 2 hour period on hot months. Bascially as I understand, the command fusion hardware can send IR signals from ethernet or via rs232 which I believe is what is used for the PSC04?

A little over my head as I only just got my Apex for 2 weeks!

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSailor View Post
    Z-Wave, for the win.

I control my house lights, Biocube 29, and pool pump with Z-Wave modules, switches, and a contactor via HomeSeer. I can't remember the last time I had an issues with them.

I have all my lights controled by z-wave modules in my house....how are you using your Apex to interact with them?

New User
    Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an Apex 2016 to X10? It does not appear to have a Control port anymore although the manual still mentions x10 legacy controller support in chapter 10...

I want to add additional outputs for non critical control and the x10 option looked interesting. If not supported on the 2016 is there another way without having to buy expensive new energy bars?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The obsolete X10 bus is not supported in current Apex models.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thank you RussM any other way to add additional outputs with the new Apex? Seems strange that they do not have a output equivalent of the breakout box.

New User
    I think I'm going to switch to a ghl profilux before I invest more in my Apex setup. It is just rediculous that the Apex can only add outputs though the energy bar, which for Europe is over priced and under spec. Only 6 plugs, no current measure, no dc port and you still need to pay £250 for it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123