Thread: Dosing Pumps : Apex-controlled Pumps vs. Standalone Dosing Systems - a compar...

Dosing Pumps : Apex-controlled Pumps vs. Standalone Dosing Systems - a compar...

I received a PM from an Apex owner, asking my thoughts on using the Apex to control dosing pumps (such as the popular BRS 1.1ml/min pumps) vs. using a standalone dosing system (such as the Bubble Magnus BM-T01). I opted to write this post instead of replying privately - hopefully this will help others in addition to the person who PM'd me. My thoughts will be focused on the two solutions I identified, but most points are fairly generic and are applicable to other dosing systems or discrete dosing pumps from Vertex, GHL, Elos, AquaMedic, Cole-Parmer, Alita, MarineMagic, etc.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but I can bring out some good points to ponder.

• The standalone systems are compact. Separate pumps can take up more space, which is often at a premium.
    • Relatively inexpensive pumps like the BRS dosers are fixed speed/rate. Many of the standalone dosing systems are variable rate. For people who have larger systems and dose greater quantities of additives, the higher dosing rate available in a standalone system may be desirable.
    • Standalone dosing systems have one power cord. Multiple independent pumps will each have a power cord.
    • Standalone system do not need to be plugged into an EnergyBar - they can be plugged straight into a normal wall outlet or power strip if desired. BRS-like pumps do need to have their power controlled by the Apex, requiring an EB outlet for each pump. If a standalone dosing system is plugged into an EnergyBar, any outlet may be used.
    • Multiple BRS pumps (or similar) each require a dedicated EnergyBar outlet. For people with EnergyBar8s, only outlets 4 & 8 can be used with small dosing pumps like the BRS. So, two or three BRS (or similar) pumps might actually necessitate the purchase of either another EB8 or an EB4.
    • Most of the standalone systems come equipped with 3 or 4 pumps; many people only want or need two, so 2 single pumps will likely be more cost-effective.
    • Standalone dosing systems may seem more expensive at first - about $299 for the BM-T01 (with 3 pumps) vs. $240 (3x $79.99). But, if another EnergyBar is needed, the dosing system is more cost effective assuming 3 pumps are desired.
    • Standalone dosing systems seem to be simpler to configure for the desired daily dosing amount of each additive. In contrast, programming the Apex can be quite challenging for some users. On the flip side, there is plenty of help available here for those having trouble developing the necessary programming based around the OSC statement, plus there is the Reeftronics OSC Calculator spreadsheet to help make the task simpler.
    • Standalone dosing systems may not have the flexibility to achieve the dosing regimen some people desire. The Apex offers very flexible and powerful control over dosing when using BRS-type independent pumps.
    • Many people like to use high pH cutoffs when dosing kalk and/or calcium supplements. If using standalone dosing system, that will require an EB outlet. The big drawback to this is that if pH goes high and the Apex shuts off the dosing system outlet, ALL dosing stops. This may be a big factor if one of the integrated pumps is used for ATO or AWC or similar purposes.
    • Lastly, using the Apex to control your dosing pumps is way more cool . No self-respecting Control Freak would do otherwise.

I'm sure I missed some valid comparative points - please chime in if you have anything to add!
    Last edited by RussM; 11-01-2013 at 15:21.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

great writeup russ. im just about to decide which direction to go with my currend buildt and this helped me alot. thumbsup! and as a avid controlfreek myself i go the apex way. lol. :-) greets,c
    C​hris

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    I just like having everything in one place. And being able to control dosing from the app/web interface. This summer I checked my Ca and Alk levels one last time before leaving for vacation for a week. Alk had been trending up the past couple tests so I said to myself - "I've got to remember to cut back my Alk doses." Of course with all the chaos of leaving for vacation for a week, I forgot. No biggie, when we got to our destination, I pulled out my phone, and adjusted it right then and there.

There are lots of individual activites that could be taken care of with external devices - dosing, topoff, heating/cooling, wavemaking, lighting control/timers - but that is the point of a controller, right? To replace all that stuff with one centralized control unit.

You also mentioned in your second to last bullet about the flexibility and I agree on that point. I have never used a standalone dosing system, so this is a legitimate question - do they let you decide how much of each item gets dosed at exactly what times throughout the day? I have my dosing occuring at specific times for specific reasons - spread out over the night and the morning, because I always do my water testing in the afternoon/evening, and I don't want to have to worry if I'm testing right after some Alk was just shot into the tank.
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Lobster, I have only used a standalone dosing system one time, and that el cheapo unit was limited to dosing around the clock - you entered the total amount desired per day and how often to dose and it just spread that out over 24 hours. I'm sure that some have more advanced control.

The ability to remotely manage dosing if done by the Apex is a great point. I am shocked I didn't mention that! Especially since I'm a road warrior, traveling 40+ weeks/year...
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

I went with 5 BRS dosing pumps and three EB8. I figured redundancy could be an advantage so i get 9 EB 8 outlet unused across the tree bars.

Now I have to figure out he OSc statement.

I am strangely reminded of my FORTRAN programming courses back in university!

Richard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

New User
    I just recently set up a Bubble Magus BM-T01 doser. Yes, it is very easy to use and works great. I do have it plugged in to APEX outlet to shut it off if PH gets to high. Russ is right on with his compatible points. I will admit the APEX programming statements you would use in Setting up a separate pump dosing system lured me away from going this route. Fusion will probably make the APEX statement programing degree a thing of the past, we'll see.
    I think Neptune system should create a semi-standalone dosing system that fully integrates with the APEX. A basic 4 pump box with a USB connection to the APEX, using only one power cord to the box but with a built in power distribution circuitry for individual pump control. The APEX would control every aspect of the dosing with each individual pump even shutting of individual pumps off only under certain conditions. This would be a awesome APEX add on I think!!!

Frequent Visitor
    I've used the three pump bubble magnus and thought about using apex. My thoughts are...
    Using the Apex would be cool but EB8s don't grow on trees and the value add of the apex (responsive programming and web control) didn't make the cut for valuable EB8 slots.

The BM was also more compact for me.

Frequent Visitor
    Why are outlets 4 and 8 required to be used with dosing pumps? I thought these were for higher current draw equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffloud1 View Post
    Why are outlets 4 and 8 required to be used with dosing pumps? I thought these were for higher current draw equipment.
    Yes, but they also need to be used for some very low power devices. More info here:
    http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...rs-and-outlets

Quote Originally Posted by HeneryH View Post
    I've used the three pump bubble magnus and thought about using apex. My thoughts are...
    Using the Apex would be cool but EB8s don't grow on trees and the value add of the apex (responsive programming and web control) didn't make the cut for valuable EB8 slots.

The BM was also more compact for me.
    Too late now, but an FYI. Bubble magnus pump costs $300. 3x BRS 1.1 ml/min dosers and an extra EB4 costs $360 and the brs dosers last a lot longer. basically you are paying an extra 60 bucks for one extra powerbar outlet (2 if you keep you BM on an eb8 outlet) and equipment with higher reliability, longer life, and reduced maintainance. If you have the outlets to spare, you are only spending 240 and saving 60 bucks over the BM.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.