Thread: Can the APEX do the following... ?

New User

Can the APEX do the following... ?

Hi

im in the market for a controller...

But berore i jump on the APEX i have to verify if it can do the following

When power outage, it will sms or email me and then run the backup powerhead that is plugged to a UPS (i use computer sinewave UPS)

When the heater get stuck on ON position, it will shut it down and alarm me.
    Samething if the water gets too cold...

Since i don't have a chiller, it will trigger the fan.

I also use Jebao Powerhead WP25... without modifying the Jebao cable, can i just plug it normaly and control the Jebao with its own controler ?

Same thing with the return pump, im using a Devils return pump which is a DC pump with its own speed variable controller.
    Can i hook it to the Apex ?

During the power outage, when the electricity returns... can i time the sequence ? for instance: The Devil return pump first and few minutes later. the skimmer...

I'm using Evergrow/Reefbreeder LED... i presume the APEX can not control those. so which cheapo china LED does the APEX control ? by control i mean dimming and sunset / sunrise simulation.

To upgrade, change settings... it has to be done remotely over LAN.... because my computer is not near the tanks at all.

Lastly, has to be Android compatible..

Now the question. Which APEX will do the trick based on what i just listed above ?

JR, Lite or the full Apex ?

tnx

See replies in RED.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoodies View Post
    Hi

im in the market for a controller...

But berore i jump on the APEX i have to verify if it can do the following

When power outage, it will sms or email me and then run the backup powerhead that is plugged to a UPS (i use computer sinewave UPS)

Yes, but for the best functionality you will need two EB8's and an external power adapter. RussM has a great presentation on this functionality here.

When the heater get stuck on ON position, it will shut it down and alarm me.
    Samething if the water gets too cold...

Yep, using > or < statements and your temp probe

Since i don't have a chiller, it will trigger the fan.

I also use Jebao Powerhead WP25... without modifying the Jebao cable, can i just plug it normaly and control the Jebao with its own controler ?

To get control via the Apex I believe you'll either need to purchase a cable harness or DIY. But yes, you could use the Jebao controller and just power on/off via the Apex. Information via this thread.

Same thing with the return pump, im using a Devils return pump which is a DC pump with its own speed variable controller.
    Can i hook it to the Apex ?

I'm not familiar with this pump, but same as the Jabeo if it has its own controller you could always just plug into the Apex for On/Off and then use its controller. If you want the apex to control the variable speed info, I'll need a bit more info.

During the power outage, when the electricity returns... can i time the sequence ? for instance: The Devil return pump first and few minutes later. the skimmer...

Should be able to do that with a bit of advanced programming with Defer statements.

I'm using Evergrow/Reefbreeder LED... i presume the APEX can not control those. so which cheapo china LED does the APEX control ? by control i mean dimming and sunset / sunrise simulation.

Any LED driver with 0-10v controllable input. See here.

To upgrade, change settings... it has to be done remotely over LAN.... because my computer is not near the tanks at all.

Yep, just need an ethernet connection from your router/network to your Apex and a browser. You can use a wireless bridge, but that introduces a bit of single point failure and some issues with your power outage planning.

Lastly, has to be Android compatible..

There is an Andriod app, I haven't used it. Can't speak for it.

Now the question. Which APEX will do the trick based on what i just listed above ?

JR, Lite or the full Apex ?

Based on your power considerations I would recommend the full Apex, but i believe if you kept adding modules you could accomplish everything with any of the models. You'd have to do a total price comparison to see which one would be the cheapest in the long run. Foster's and Smith has a good breakdown of the differences. Personally, I think the full Apex is worth it, the 4 variable speed ports means you won't have to add on anything for your lighting.

tnx

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    See replies in RED.
    I have found That the Android ap works just fine. I use the ap on a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a Sony Experia Z1 without any problems. It also worked just fine on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Hope this helps for this part of your questions.
    Everyone is good at something and there are those that are good at everything.

New User
    I can tell from your wish list you are a natural born control freak. You will definitely want to get the full Apex. It sounds like you already have plans for the variable speed ports.

The stuff you want to do right now is really pretty easy. Once you come up the learning curve you will want to do more.