Thread: The big white board of Control Freakiness

The big white board of Control Freakiness

As I move into the final stages of the tank build in progress, I wanted to do up the Apex system cleanly & neatly. This will get mounted into the cabinetry below the tank, which will be well-ventilated.

IMG_0986.JPG

In order that make it easier to disconnect cables when needed, each Apex component is on a 1/4" spacer - you can see it in the open spot on the left side. A PM2 will go there eventually.

There are wads of coiled cables inside the cable trays - the AquaBus cables are way too long. I ordered several 1.5' USB male A - male A cables from Monoprice to fix that problem - just waiting for them to arrive.

I still need to mount the display with Velcro, which will go in the upper right corner.

I have an EB4 also, but it will be kept separate from the rest of the system.

I have some great sources for scrap and surplus materials nearby, so this was all made with minimal cost.

Wannabe Control Freak jvelkgrove's Avatar
    Looking good!

Frequent Contributor
    Spacers are a great idea. Looks like a very clean install!

Your controller isn't level!
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Your controller isn't level!
    An illusion from the crappy pic. I measure twice, cut once.

The wire shelf though is a bit skewed and bowed - there are two UPS units sitting in it. :O
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Top notch!
    I would have that in my datacenters! ;D

I wanted to add a bit of protection for unused AquaBus ports. I researched, but could not find any inexpensive USB port covers made from silicone that didn't come as part of a set of other types of connectors. I did find plastic ones though which come in 10-packs. I ordered them, and they arrived today. I'd ordered 2 different styles of USB covers and also some for RJ45 jacks.

Here are two of each type of USB cover, used on an EB8:

Both fit snug and secure. The flush ones require the use of a small screwdriver or similar to pry them out.

The RJ45 plugs aren't so good - they are not snug fitting.

The USB covers will be a permanent part of my installation. The RJ45 plugs will not be. Instead, I'll continue to use what I've done for years - an empty RJ45 male connector which has been crimped.

Last edited by RussM; 01-09-2014 at 08:50.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Neat, care to share where you got the USB covers? I like this idea a lot.

The trapezoidal ones:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...=45239&rH=1624

The flush ones:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...=51098&rH=1624

And 3rd style I didn't see listed before, otherwise I would have ordered 10-pack:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...=51099&rH=1624

Regular Vistor
    Damn that looks good! I am jealous! I have all my gear mounted but it all had to be running ASAP so I never did manage to get it all neat and tidy like that. Good idea on the port covers!

The new tank has been in service for about 3 months, but I finally finished installing the upper cabinet this morning.

The Board of Control Freakiness:

Lower cabinet area:

I travel frequently on business, sometimes two weeks at a time. I made my ATO reservoir rather large accordingly.

DIY probe holder:

Notice the shade around my AI Hydra? It keeps the light from being an annoyance when watching TV in the living room. See that slot to the right of the light shade? That's for food to drop through - my AFS is hidden out of sight in the upper cabinet. I made this admittedly-overengineered mount for the AFS from acrylic scraps:

There is still work to be done - one part of that is I plan to add another BoB and switches for the cabinet door to turn on a fluorescent strip light mounted on the "ceiling" of the sump area. Also, the ATO reservoir has high and low level switches. The lower one is functional, but the upper one is not - need that extra BoB. I don't need it yet though. Eventually there will be a line from my RODI unit to auto-fill the reservoir. At the moment though I'm just filling the reservoir from 5-gallon jugs.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I haven't had much trouble with the afs scattering food too much using the crossover diet food. What is the function of the funnel design? I too made my afs mount out of acrylic and have it mounted towards the middle of the canopy.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    What is the function of the funnel design?
    The only real reason for the funnel thingy is 'cause I like puttering in the workshop

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    one part of that is I plan to add another BoB and switches for the cabinet door to turn on a fluorescent strip light mounted on the "ceiling" of the sump area.
    Russ,

I will PM you next week PDF on a led remote controlled variable dimming kit that we sell in the RV industry to go on the outside of a recreational vehicle and provides lighting and is waterproof. I have installed this on my system for my sump area lighting and controlled buy my BOB using magnetic switches to turn on or off the led lights.

What I like about the remote dimming is that when I open my doors on my sump area I don't want real bright light so I have it on a setting that I can see what is going on, yet when I want to do some maintenance in the sump area and I want bright Light I can adjust the light intensity.

They offer this in white only or a multi-colored led strip with controller

Maybe you could come up with a way that you can use the Var speed ports to do the dimming if you are interested I might be able to get you a sample from my rep.

Jon

The trapezoidal ones:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...=45239&rH=1624

The flush ones:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...=51098&rH=1624

And 3rd style I didn't see listed before, otherwise I would have ordered 10-pack:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...=51099&rH=1624
    Gracias... I have been thinking about this for a while now...

There is still work to be done - one part of that is I plan to add another BoB and switches for the cabinet door to turn on a fluorescent strip light mounted on the "ceiling" of the sump area.
    This is done! Got the second BoB installed yesterday and picked up some nice big pushbutton switches from Fry's too, and got it all wired in and programmed.

IMG_1180.JPG

Blue (for water) is for maintenance - the Apex is programmed to shut down both return pumps, ATO, skimmer, etc. for 40 minutes - long enough to do a WC, clean the skimmer, change the sock, etc.
    White (for Light) is just for my wife - with a simple push of this button, it will shut off the Hydra LEDs for 90 minutes, so the light from the tank is not a distraction when watching TV, a BD, or a DVD in a otherwise-dark living room.
    Red (for Emergency) is for near-total shutdown - kills everything but the lights and a powerhead in the tank itself. There's a 5-second defer so the button must be depressed for > 5 seconds
    as a safety measure in the programming.

My little grandson had a blast helping me test things - he got a kick out of actually being told to push buttons, when it's usually the opposite he hears

Frequent Visitor
    Russ, What a great look. I hope you don't mind if I copy some of what you did

I hooked up all my devices this weekend, but the cables are scattered and it looks like a mess. I will develop some kind of system like yours that hides the wires and keeps everything looking clean. I cant wait till my system looks as organized as yours. However, it will probably me Christmas before it does.

New User
    Im so confused. Why is the water brown in these pics?

New User
    Red button delay is genious!

Quote Originally Posted by tmyer2 View Post
    Im so confused. Why is the water brown in these pics?
    LOL. It does look bad in the one pic. The water was clear, but the tank was fairly new at the time, and there was a typical diatom bloom - a film of brown algae on everything. It looks far worse than it actually was.