Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys WRT54G2 Router

Frequent Visitor

Linksys WRT54G2 Router

Having trouble with port forwarding on the above router. When I use PFPortchecker to check port 1234 it tells me the port is not open. Anyone else use this or other comparable Linksys routers that can help

Port Range Forward

Follow the direction in the Advanced Network Guide. With that router, you must change the Apex http port to the same number you use in the router port forwarding.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ, I'll take a look, but if port 1234 is open on the router shouldn't PFportchecker say it is?

Quote Originally Posted by den75 View Post
    Thanks Russ, I'll take a look, but if port 1234 is open on the router shouldn't PFportchecker say it is?
    The router doesn't respond to that test when you are testing a forwarded port; the device on the receiving end is what responds. So if the Apex isn't listening on that port, the port will show as closed.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    So in the network settings on the apex do I change the port from port 80 to the one I'm using to forward to

Answered in my first post even before you asked

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, I'm a little slow I did that and can access the router internally by using apex:9950 but still can't access it from outside the network. PFportchecker still shows the ports not open

Post screen shots of the Apex network settings and the router port forwarding page showing what you configured.

Frequent Visitor

Attached Images Attached Images

Post a screen shot of the router status page. And PLEASE - crop the screen shots before you use them to that only the pertinent part is in the image. Or use something like the Windows Snipping tool to allow you to select just the part of the screen you want.

Also, list the brand and model of the device between that WRT54 and the Internet connection - what you might call your modem.

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry about that, Here's the additional info

Modem is a Sppedstream 4200 from Windsteam
    Status.JPG

That's what I was afraid of. It is not just a modem - it's a router and modem in one.

Daisy-chained routers should be avoided.

You need to do two things: put the Speedstream in bridge mode and then reconfigure the Linksys router.

http://www.windstream.com/Support/Br...00/4300-modem/

http://www.windstream.com/Support/Li...tions---PPPoE/

Uh - I just noticed something. You probably won't need to do the second part with the Linksys router.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ. What does bridging the modem do?

Basically it disables the router and firewall functions, turning it into just a DSL modem.

Frequent Visitor
    Bridged the modem and cant get out to the internet now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Reboot the Linksys.

Frequent Visitor
    Did that still no good

Go into the Linksys web pages. On the status page, what does it show for WAN/Internet IP address?

Frequent Visitor
    Tyey are all zeros. Called windstream they said it couldnt obtain an IP. Waiting on a call back

Frequent Visitor
    Good news is I'm back online. Bad news is I'm back to square one. Wiindstream said the modem was toast. What the bridging could have done to it I have no idea. Anyway, They gave me a new Sagemcom F@st 1704N Modem/Wireless router. The Linksys is out of the picture. The apex is plugged into a Belkin dual-band wireless range extender which has it's own ssid receiving the signal from the main router. When I first set the apex up I originally used a netgear wireless gaming adaptor to connect, but the signal wasn't strong enough so I had to add the range extender and connect the apex to that. Question before I even attempt this again, is the Belkin range extender going to hinder anything?

Sorry to hear it was a hassle. But in the long run, it should be better overall.

I am not familiar with that Belkin. But typically you would configure it as a client bridge not as a range extender with a new SSID.

Frequent Visitor
    No problem, as they say "stuff" happens, and yeah, in the long run it should be better. Not sure what you mean by configuring it as a client bridge or would even know how to do that. I just set it up as per the directions. Here is what I have http://www.belkin.com/us/support-sea...rch=f9k+1106v1

Ok, disregard the bit about client bridge mode. The Belkin doesn't have it.

Frequent Visitor
    I need a drink! I got everything working. I was able to port forward on the new modem/router and was able to connect from outside my network. Was so happy! Went back to the apex and turned the DCHP to OFF and restarted. Now I can't connect to the apex wirelessly. Turned DHCP back on, put the port back to 80 on the apex since I had to change it for portforwarding, did a restart. IP came back the same as it was now I get a page cannot be displayed error when I use the IP in the browser to connect to the web pages. Also can't ping the IP that's in the apex. If I hardwire the apex into the router it's fine. UGGHH!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast