Thread: DynDNS no longer free!

Regular Vistor

DynDNS no longer free!

Just a heads up, DynDNS is eliminating their free product. Current users ar eligible for I think 25% off a paid subscription.

In other words Fusion can't come soon enough!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by necigrad View Post
    Just a heads up, DynDNS is eliminating their free product. Current users ar eligible for I think 25% off a paid subscription.

In other words Fusion can't come soon enough!
    X2 just got the email tonight too. if we dont have fusion are we stuck paying DYNDNS fees? is there any other free service out there for this? Perhaps through apex? otherwise apex is obsolete if there is no internet support. You are forced to upgrade to fusion??? there's got to be a better way. makes no sence

I mean i purchased a foscam camera and they offer thier own DYNDNS so why cant Neptune do the same for thier customers, they already offer this support for fusion. This will become a problem that must be solved real soon. 30 days and counting!!!

Banned

30 days and counting!!!

for those interested here is a copy of dyn dns email to me tonight:

To our Dyn free hostname users:
    For the last 15 years, all of us at Dyn have taken pride in offering you and millions of others a free version of our Dynamic DNS Pro product. What was originally a product built for a small group of users has blossomed into an exciting technology used around the world.
    That is why with mixed emotions we are notifying you that in 30 days, we will be ending our free hostname program. This change in the business will allow us to invest in our customer support teams, Internet infrastructure, and platform security so that we can continue to strive to deliver an exceptional customer experience for our paying customers.
    We would like to invite you to upgrade to VIP status for a 25% discounted rate, good for any package of Remote Access (formerly DynDNS Pro). By doing so, you'll have access to customer support, additional hostnames, and more.

- - - Updated - - -

$19 for this service??? thats after discount

First of all, dynamic DNS is NOT required for remote access. It is quite helpful in many cases, but is really more of a convenience in others. There are alternatives to Dyn/com aka dyndns.org - no-ip, dnsdynamic, freedns, just to name a couple. If you have a D-Link or Foscam network camera, you can use their free services. And you can use their service with the Apex as well as the camera.... you can use the same hostname with multiple devices. See this sticky for more info:

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...72-Dynamic-DNS
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    First of all, dynamic DNS is NOT required for remote access. It is quite helpful in many cases, but is really more of a convenience in others. There are alternatives to Dyn/com aka dyndns.org - no-ip, dnsdynamic, freedns, just to name a couple. If you have a D-Link or Foscam network camera, you can use their free services. And you can use their service with the Apex as well as the camera.... you can use the same hostname with multiple devices. See this sticky for more info:

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...72-Dynamic-DNS

Thanks in advance Russ for the above. I just read your entire link and am dizzy

I would like to use my foscams DNS service... But have a couple of ???

1. can I still use foscam to access apex if the camera is unplugged? I only plug the camera when I know I'm going to be away... am I understanding that the dyn service through foscam will work independently for the foscam camera and the neptune apex?
    2. can you offer some direction on switching over from dyndns.org to foscam? this would be very helpful to me...
    3. I use your site Russ so is there new settings that will allow me to keep my current config. there?

Thanks in advance.

1. The foscam ddns will work exactly the same as dyndns. Your router is the part that updates dns settings, so your camera can be unplugged and it will still update if your WAN ip address changes

2. http://foscam.us/blog/foscamipcamera...p-dns-service/

3. Not sure. I dont use reeftronics myself. I would assume you would just update your hostname and nothing else should need to change.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

If the Foscam DDNS service is used, then the router will not be the device doing the updates - the Foscam camera will be. So, the camera must be on 7/24 to provide that functionality. Zombie's #1 is incorrect.

If you change to a new hostname, just email me the new one.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    $19 for this service??? thats after discount
    AFAIK, that's $19 FOR A YEAR. When I signed up last summer I payed $25 for the first year... a drop in the bucket. My router had built-in support for DYNDNS so the small fee was worth it to me for the convenience.
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

If the Foscam DDNS service is used, then the router will not be the device doing the updates - the Foscam camera will be. So, the camera must be on 7/24 to provide that functionality. Zombie's #1 is incorrect.

Wont work at all or wont work unless the router supports the no-ip dns server? I use the free ddns for a dlink camera and it updated my ip address when I had my camera unplugged for a couple months during a tank upgrade.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    There are other free providers out there, while I pay for my dyn service I also use www.no-ip.com for clients who simply want a free account with good results. They also offer good rates for a paid service if required too.
    Everyone is good at something and there are those that are good at everything.

Banned

Thanks for that Russ... My exp. with the foscams is that they do drop connection intermittently so if the above is the case I probably would want to check out another free service.

Can you give me a run down on this process again to set up with another free provider? In other words what settings am i going to have to change? In neptune apex? or in router? or both? Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Wont work at all or wont work unless the router supports the no-ip dns server? I use the free ddns for a dlink camera and it updated my ip address when I had my camera unplugged for a couple months during a tank upgrade.

DLink makes cameras and routers. Their DDNS service works with both types of DLink products. Foscam only makes cameras; no router AFAIK has embedded support for Foscam DDNS.

Recovering Reef Junkie
    I use my synology NAS box. It has a free DDNS service built in. Works great

Frequent Visitor
    Spent 10 minutes and set up a changeip.com account.

Regular Vistor
    I added 2 years for $40 in the cart but didn't check out. Then few days later got an email reminding me to check out, but I didn't. Then not long ago a second or 3rd mail reminding me again but with 20% more discount. So. $32 for 2 years. I then bought it!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

New User
    I switched over to www.noip.com. Works just like dyndns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    I switched over to www.noip.com.
    What automatic update mechanism are you using?

Frequent Visitor
    I switched over to www.noip.com. Works just like dyndns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you using the free or paid services? If free, you do know that you must login every 30 days right?
    Everyone is good at something and there are those that are good at everything.

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    no-ip.com
    i just did this this weekend took 5 minutes to change everything over and its free

New User
    Russ: I have the auto updated installed (automatic updates the IP address...I believe that is what you mean) on my home desktop.

Darren: I am using the free version. The past year or so with DynDns (in order to keep the free version) you had to log in every month, so it is no change since then.

Russ: I have the auto updated installed (automatic updates the IP address...I believe that is what you mean) on my home desktop
    Ok, that's good. Not many routers have embedded support for no-ip. The client software on a computer is the way to go with no-IP. I also just wanted to ensure that you do have automatic updates happening - without that, you lose most of the benefits of DDNS.