Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM2 flashing orange, no end in sight

Frequent Visitor

PM2 flashing orange, no end in sight

Hello friends -

Upon the first time connecting everything, the PM2 went solid green, then went flashing green. Then I tried unplugging everything to get it to stop flashing green and it never went back to solid green, only flashing orange. One time it went solid orange.....

I also tried updating all modules. Sometimes when I shut everything down and start back up, the PM2 will be recognized by the controller, sometimes it won't. I tried when it was recognized to update the PM2 from the controller, didn't help.

Now, i can't even get the controller to recognize the PM2 at all. It just flashes orange no matter what I do, even though I'm doing the same procedures as when I was able to get the controller to at least recognize the PM2 previously.

I am very frustrated after spending 800 bucks that this has been such a nightmare. Honestly, it scares me a bit to leave my tank in it's hands. There are other screwy things happening too. Example: sometimes, when I connect the controller to an aquabus, the screen partially lights up and kind of flashes. Only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in..... why?? No rhyme or reason.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

Frequent Visitor
    I also tried swapping a usb that I know was working and used different aquabus terminals, didn't help.

so set the PM2 aside, leave it unplugged for now.

Get your controller back on line and make sure it's stable. Try to set each outlet to manual ON then OFF then AUTO. Check the display for proper operation.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    I currently have no computer. Do I need one in order to use this system? Bulk Reef Supply told me a computer is not necessary.

All I'm trying to do at this point is use the PM2 module for probe readings, but the PM2 just flashes amber.

No, you can do everything from the display but IMO it's a real PITA doing it that way. Running it via your browser is so much easier plus you get email alerts and the ability to access it away from home.

But no, you don't require a computer.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

Frequent Visitor
    So, out of the box, the PM2 module doesn't work. I was told this system was "plug and play". Plug any module into any aquabus and go. Not happening for the PM2 module. I have done NO programming of any kind and the module simply won't connect. Any other suggestions?

Is the rest of the system working correctly?
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, the brain, EB8 and temp probe are working. When I plug in an ethernet directly to my router, it looks like it updated the time and date as well as said "linked" under Fusion. Then it had some random code. So ya, everything seems to be operating normally.

So I'd leave it at that for now. You have a working system less the PM2. Email support. It's possible the PM2 is faulty or maybe just has corrupt software. Whatever the issue, they'll either resolve it for you or replace the module. In the mean time you can begin programming your outlets and getting the feel of things.
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    Ya I emailed support last night and they responded this morning asking me to try switching the usb cable and port, which i already did. They also asked for the serial number on the PM2. I responded back at 8 pacific time this morning. Do they usually respond throughout the day on Saturdays?

Sometimes. Support is M-F but these guys work all kinds of crazy hours. But if the module has to be returned nothing will happen until Monday anyway.
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for all your help. Will a brand new imac work with the apex? About to go buy one.

The interface is all web based, so any computer will work. An iMac is certainly a nice choice.

Frequent Visitor
    This may be a dumb question, but how do I get to the Apex Dashboard on a Mac in order to do anything. I see everyone talking about the dashboard, but how do I actually get to it? I am able to view my network on the iMac, and see the ip address of the apex that is connected via ethernet cable to my router, but what do I do from there? How do I see anything regarding the apex? An app, a program, what?

Enter the IP address of the Apex in your web browser address bar.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Got it, thanks. Now I have to figure out how to configure all the outlets, etc. This is very overwhelming, I don't even know where to begin.

There are so many different codes for each outlet, don't know how to determine what code goes to what physical outlet.

I don't even know where to begin.
    http://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    In reading through the comprehensive manual, I am still at a loss as to which item I should be plugging into which outlet on the EB8. Where are the instructions/diagrams showing you what VarSpd1_I1 etc etc means???? This is so far the most frustrating and confusing setup process I have ever done.

Frequent Visitor
    It says in the firmware update instructions that a hardwired connection between the computer and router and between the apex and router is required.

I selected update firmware without establishing a hardwired connection from my computer to router. Only from router to apex.

I didn't receive any error messages.

So, is it possible my firmware needs to be updated in order for my PM2 module to stop flashing amber and be recognized?

As long as the Apex is hardwired to the router, it's ok in many cases. It's when there is a wireless link in the path between the Apex and the router that is bad.

If the PM2 is appearing in the module list, go ahead and try to update the PM2 firmware.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    As long as the Apex is hardwired to the router, it's ok in many cases. It's when there is a wireless link in the path between the Apex and the router that is bad.

If the PM2 is appearing in the module list, go ahead and try to update the PM2 firmware.
    The PM2 is not showing up. It did when I first set it up, even though it would either flash amber, solid amber, go solid green, then go flashing green.

It is truly bizzare.

I have spent countless hours trying everything immaginable trying to get the PM2 to show up after I initially plugged it in.

I now have the system up on my imac, ipad and android phone.

Temp probe, Ph probe and Orp probe are all functioning properly.

The PM2 is the only obstacle at this point, besides me being lost as far as how to use the EB8 to control anything.

Frequent Visitor
    I scheduled a remote access appointment with Apex earlier today, and the programmer, Paul, did some modifications to the PM2 module programming and got me all fixed up. Everything is working now.

I feel much better about this system now! I am understanding how to program the outlets and it is becoming clear how amazing this system is.

It is very overwhelming at first, but if you hang in there, it is definitely worth it.

I am blown away with their customer service and it feels good knowing that I am supporting an American company here in my own state where they manufacture here and have English speaking in house customer service.

I have a couple questions for the experienced folks on here.

How much of a margin of error are we talking about in regards to the salinity probe working WITHOUT the extra temperature probe? I have 1 temp probe and didn't want to have to purchase another one. I keep my tank between 78 and 79 degrees, so we are only talking about a degree of difference. How skewed will the salinity reading be without the temp probe correction?

Is there any reason to plug a Tunze ATO into the Apex or should I leave it as a standalone?

You can just move the temperature probe from the base unit to the PM2 so that you get temperature compensation. For temperature purposes, it doesn't matter where the probe is; it works as well for that purpose on the PM2 as it does on the base unit.

I have my Tunze ATO on the Apex so that if the salinity drops below a sane value, i.e., probable that the ATO has malfunctioned, the outlet to the ATO is automatically shut off. The Tunze has been rock solid for me, but one never knows, may as well harden things if I can. It's also handy to be able to turn it off from the display when doing a water change.

New User
    Did the flashing orange light ever get resolved? It appears I have the same issue. Just purchased the PM2 module and all I get it a flashing orange light.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rodenj View Post
    Did the flashing orange light ever get resolved? It appears I have the same issue. Just purchased the PM2 module and all I get it a flashing orange light.
    Yes it has been totally resolved.

The PM2 was shipped with some errors in it's programming which affects the ability to communicate with the Base module.

Just tell them what is going on and they can schedule an appointment to remotely access your computer and fix it. Paul had it fixed with new programming within 10 minutes it was solid green. He had me unplug it, plug it back in a couple times while he reprogrammed it.

This gives you a chance to have them show you tips and walk through the system which helps your understanding of everything.

They are the real deal when it comes to customer service. Awesome is an understatement. It will all work out, just shoot them an email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast