Thread: Windows 8. I'm completely lost.

New User

Windows 8. I'm completely lost.

Not the most computer savvy person in the world. Sorry. Trying to update to Version 4.31 so that I am able to use my Apex AFS. My Apex is connected through a wireless bridge so I'm trying to set up my laptop so I can directly connect to the Apex module. NONE of my menus are anything like the ones listed in the "How to connect directly...." sticky above. I have Windows 8 and when I go to my network settings, I'm unable to find steps 5-8. When I go to "Network and Sharing Center", I can see my network listed, but not my adapter and there seems to be nowhere. I've right clicked on everything imaginable but none of the "properties" menus allows me to change the IP address. Is anyone familiar with this or do I just need to buy a 150' ethernet cable and connect to my desktop computer?

You'd be better off skipping the direct connect to laptop idea and instead, connect the Apex to your router with a network cable to do the firmware update.

How far is it between the Apex and the router?

In the Network and Sharing Center, click Change Adapter settings located on the left panel. You'll then see all installed network interfaces.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    2 stories down and a few hallways. I could do it with about 75' of cord. I,d probably be more comfortable doing it with a direct wire anyway. When I direct wireto my router, I can just do it the regular way even if my computer is on a separate bridge? Or do I need to direct wire the laptop to the router also? Thanks.

Neptune recommends not having any wireless in the path between the computer and the Apex... ideally, both should be connected directly to the router. But as long as there is not wireless in the path between the Apex and the routre, it should work fine... I routinely do it with my Apexes hard-wired but with my Mac on WiFi.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.