Thread: Auto Alarm

Regular Vistor

Auto Alarm

Is there a way to send an alarm if an outlet that is usually set to auto has been set to off for more than 10 minutes?

For example, I typically have my heater set to auto, but turn it off while working in the sump. If I forget to switch it back to auto, I have problems.

That's possible but it depends on how you have the heater outlet programmed. How are you controlling the heater - is the Apex programmed to be primary control, or are you letting the heater control itself and just using the Apex as a safety backup?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I have the Apex programmed to be the primary control.

Auto Alarm

Btw, this is why it's good to use a feed cycle or other programming to do a timed maintenance window. That way you don't need to turn outlets off manually - and them remember to set them back to auto.

If you use a feed cycle or equivalent, you just walk away when done doing what ever it was.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC5910 View Post
    I have the Apex programmed to be the primary control.
    Then you can't do what you asked about directly. You'll get alarms if the heater outlet it in Auto whenever the heater hasn't been on for 10 minutes, which is a normal condition.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Then you can't do what you asked about directly. You'll get alarms if the heater outlet it in Auto whenever the heater hasn't been on for 10 minutes, which is a normal condition.
    Thanks for the quick response BTW.

A heater may have been a bad example, as it could be for any piece of equipment. 10 minutes could be increased to an hour. I basically just want to ensure that I don't leave a programmed outlet set to off for more than a pre-determined amount of time.

If you don't want to use a feed cycle or a timed maintenance period, you can do this:

Create 2 virtual outlets. Name them something like HeatShutOff and HeatOFFTimer

[HeatShutOff]
    Set OFF

[HeatOFFTimer]
    Set OFF
    If Outlet HeatShutOFF = ON Then ON
    Defer 010:00 Then ON

In your heater outlet, add this:

If Outlet HeatShutOFF = ON Then OFF

In your email and/or audible alarm outlet, add this:

If Outlet HeatOFFTimer = ON Then ON

Now, when you want the heater to be OFF, flip the HeatShutOff outlet to manual ON. When done messing around innthe sump, set it back to Auto. If you forget, and 10 minutes goes by, the HeatOFFTimer will turn on, and in turn you will get an alarm email and/or audible alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC5910 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response BTW.

A heater may have been a bad example, as it could be for any piece of equipment. 10 minutes could be increased to an hour. I basically just want to ensure that I don't leave a programmed outlet set to off for more than a pre-determined amount of time.
    For something like a return pump which is normally always ON, it's relatively simple. But when something turns on and off routinely based on programming, it gets more complicated.

Regular Vistor
    For something like a return pump which is normally always ON, it's relatively simple. But when something turns on and off routinely based on programming, it gets more complicated.
    A return pump would be an excellent example.

See the example on page 91 of the Comprehensive Reference Manual

Regular Vistor
    See the example on page 91 of the Comprehensive Reference Manual
    Will do, thank you for the help.