Thread: Updated to firmware 4.31, iOS app not working well...

Updated to firmware 4.31, iOS app not working well...

Hello here,
    Yesterday I have updated my Apex firmware to the latest version 4.31, and now I am having an hard time to use the iOS application on both my iPhone and iPad. The app keeps giving me a "Apex: the request timed out" error, and I am able to control the device intermittently, until I get the next timeout!

Any ideas?

Regular Vistor
    Same here. Updated last night and started using fusion. Ios app actually the only thing I can use to control the tank. Going online to apexfusion.com does nothing.

Updated to firmware 4.31, iOS app not working well...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfishguy18 View Post
    Going online to apexfusion.com does nothing.
    If you want help with this, start your own thread in the Fusion subforum and provide a detailed description of your issue.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Any clues how to fix the problem on the iOS app?

I see nobody is answering my question... Why? Is someone from Apex reading this forum?

Apex is the product, not the company.

This forum is primarily users helping other users. Neptune does not directly provide support via this forum. For official support, contact Neptune Systems via email.

[email protected]

I don't have that issue except when I am in an area with crappy cellular data service.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

OP, I also get the "request timed-out message" from time-to-time and have ever since I started customizing my Apex several months ago. The problems occur using my home WiFi and to a lesser extent (I just don't do it often) via cellular. I too have not responded to your post as I have no solution or recommendations.

...however, with a few searches against this forum, you'll see that I've reported this message for the iOS App, as well as receiving the newer "disconnected" pop-up from Fusion a number of times. My net to all that after getting input from others as well as one-time from Neptune Support after they dialed-in to my controller for another issue, are it could be several things:
    • My home WiFi has spotty connectivity. (I personally don't buy that as a likely cause as I have no other app that has EVER disconnected or timed-out on me like I do with my Apex.)
    • My home network according to Neptune Support, is relatively busy at times that can cause issues with the Apex Bootloader working successfully. I have no clue what device may be doing that, and it's likely not your issue. But, to rule things out this past week, I tried running for most of a day with no other hardwired or wireless devices on my home network other than my iMac, iPad, and Apex Controller, but still saw the timeout messages a few times despite rebooting my AT&T U-Verse 2-Wire Router and Apple Airport Extreme several times throughout the day -- so frankly I rule this "your network is too busy or your routers need rebooting" cause out too.
    • Programming on my Apex Controller itself is likely pushing the boundaries of what it's capable of computing and memory-wise, with 90+ Outlets, 11 Modules, 8 Switches and 6 Probes.

My personal theory is the last point is what causes my occasional unresponsive apps against my Apex -- both iOS and Fusion with their various timeout/disconnect messages, and occasionally lack of responsiveness from the native web interface that unfortunately sometimes results a few seconds later in my controller crashing and performing a reboot. I don't know if your configuration is even approaching mine in terms of complexity, but if so, IMO, it's the likely cause of your timeout messages. I recently spent the better part of a day trying to streamline programming, reducing length of all my outlet names, etc. (there is another recent thread of mine on that), and after running that hard-to-manage configuration for several days, it really changed nothing in terms of occasional timeout/disconnect pop-ups and the more rare reboot problem I have. As such, I put some of my longer outlet names back in for my own sanity. There is no known resolution to these issues, and as part of the "1% Club", I just live with it for now as I believe a few others are with similar large configurations.

As a workaround, I know for a fact that I have less (but still have) issues like you describe when I use the native web interface which in my case is all hardwired ethernet, more when I use the iOS app that adds the WiFi component, and the most when I use Fusion -- be that via my iMac or most via my iPad/iPhone across home WiFi. To help Neptune Support, I figured I'd let Interzoo get over, allow Fusion GA to stabilize, then I'd open a ticket with them to see if there is anything more I can do to both collect data for them when I have my unresponsive issues, or more importantly, try to resolve my unpredictable controller crash/reboot problems. As Russ says, you can also open a ticket with support if you like.

Good luck.
    Bert

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Apex is the product, not the company.

This forum is primarily users helping other users. Neptune does not directly provide support via this forum. For official support, contact Neptune Systems via email.

[email protected]

I don't have that issue except when I am in an area with crappy cellular data service.
    Thank you for clarifying... yes, I know Apex is the product, I just got confused Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    OP, I also get the "request timed-out message" from time-to-time and have ever since I started customizing my Apex several months ago. The problems occur using my home WiFi and to a lesser extent (I just don't do it often) via cellular. I too have not responded to your post as I have no solution or recommendations.

...however, with a few searches against this forum, you'll see that I've reported this message for the iOS App, as well as receiving the newer "disconnected" pop-up from Fusion a number of times. My net to all that after getting input from others as well as one-time from Neptune Support after they dialed-in to my controller for another issue, are it could be several things:
    • My home WiFi has spotty connectivity. (I personally don't buy that as a likely cause as I have no other app that has EVER disconnected or timed-out on me like I do with my Apex.)
    • My home network according to Neptune Support, is relatively busy at times that can cause issues with the Apex Bootloader working successfully. I have no clue what device may be doing that, and it's likely not your issue. But, to rule things out this past week, I tried running for most of a day with no other hardwired or wireless devices on my home network other than my iMac, iPad, and Apex Controller, but still saw the timeout messages a few times despite rebooting my AT&T U-Verse 2-Wire Router and Apple Airport Extreme several times throughout the day -- so frankly I rule this "your network is too busy or your routers need rebooting" cause out too.
    • Programming on my Apex Controller itself is likely pushing the boundaries of what it's capable of computing and memory-wise, with 90+ Outlets, 11 Modules, 8 Switches and 6 Probes.

My personal theory is the last point is what causes my occasional unresponsive apps against my Apex -- both iOS and Fusion with their various timeout/disconnect messages, and occasionally lack of responsiveness from the native web interface that unfortunately sometimes results a few seconds later in my controller crashing and performing a reboot. I don't know if your configuration is even approaching mine in terms of complexity, but if so, IMO, it's the likely cause of your timeout messages. I recently spent the better part of a day trying to streamline programming, reducing length of all my outlet names, etc. (there is another recent thread of mine on that), and after running that hard-to-manage configuration for several days, it really changed nothing in terms of occasional timeout/disconnect pop-ups and the more rare reboot problem I have. As such, I put some of my longer outlet names back in for my own sanity. There is no known resolution to these issues, and as part of the "1% Club", I just live with it for now as I believe a few others are with similar large configurations.

As a workaround, I know for a fact that I have less (but still have) issues like you describe when I use the native web interface which in my case is all hardwired ethernet, more when I use the iOS app that adds the WiFi component, and the most when I use Fusion -- be that via my iMac or most via my iPad/iPhone across home WiFi. To help Neptune Support, I figured I'd let Interzoo get over, allow Fusion GA to stabilize, then I'd open a ticket with them to see if there is anything more I can do to both collect data for them when I have my unresponsive issues, or more importantly, try to resolve my unpredictable controller crash/reboot problems. As Russ says, you can also open a ticket with support if you like.

Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply, I will definitively ask Neptune customer support about this, but this issue started clearly updating the firmware to its latest version, and I bet the problem is Fusion related. Either the new software is buggy in some way, and/or Neptune is fading out iOS support (that's my feeling). I could improve a little bit the situation by increasing the "time out" setting inside the app.

I will ask Neptune and post their answer here.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fablau View Post
    Thank you for your reply, I will definitively ask Neptune customer support about this, but this issue started clearly updating the firmware to its latest version, and I bet the problem is Fusion related. Either the new software is buggy in some way, and/or Neptune is fading out iOS support (that's my feeling). I could improve a little bit the situation by increasing the "time out" setting inside the app.

I will ask Neptune and post their answer here.

Thanks!
    Agree about the time-out settings. I've suggested that myself before.

Terance (VP Sales) mentioned not long ago in another thread he popped-in on, that Neptune had in-the-works an update to the iOS app, so it's probably not being discontinued (at least I hope not, as it has become my primary interface to my Apex when I'm not at my Mac).
    Bert

I really hope so too! Still waiting an answer from Neptune... I'll keep you posted... thanks!

Cool news guys! Neptune folks just got back to me after a few back and forth emails, and they just posted a new Firmware update that should fix this problem. Please, see their response below:

Hi Fabrizio,

New FW:

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...ease-4-31_5C14

Let me know.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Thank you,

Neptune Systems Support Team

I haven't tried the new update yet, but I plan to try it tonight. I will post the results here.

And yes guys, it works just fine! Looks like all timeouts have disappeared after the firmware update!

I must say I have been impressed by the promptness of Neptune support on this issue.

Thank you to everyone!

Update: after a while the problem appeared again, not idea why. Do I need to install the firmware update again??!

Never mind, contacted Apex support and found that my Profile setting were corrupted (!!), then just re-initialized them
    And now back to normal!