Thread: connecting controller via wifi

Regular Vistor

connecting controller via wifi

just bought a apex unit, and i believe i have a obstacle to tackle.

Question: can you connect the apex controller via wifi/wirelessly? if so what do i need to accomplish this?

reason being, in order to run a solid hardwire CAT5/ethernet cable from my wireless router that would require going through the ceiling and over into another wall. which can be done but will be a pain in the butt.

i know there have got to be some people out there who are connecting wirelessly so give me some help guys... please

How many bars of wifi do you have in the tank room? If you have at least 50% signal, these work great and can be set up and running in 30 seconds if your router supports push to connect wps

http://m.target.com/p/netgear-univer...FQwDaQod-msAxw

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    How many bars of wifi do you have in the tank room? If you have at least 50% signal, these work great and can be set up and running in 30 seconds if your router supports push to connect wps

http://m.target.com/p/netgear-univer...FQwDaQod-msAxw

i have full tower in my tank room. so i thats a plus. ..... can i plug this netgear extender into my Powerbar or will i get some kind of interference or something?

I would plug it in the wall. Dont want to lose the ability to communicate with the apex if an eb8 ever decides to stop working on you.

Regular Vistor
    Since you absolutely, positively must update the firmware via Ethernet, just bite the bullet and do it.

You'll have much less headache in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by LandSailor View Post
    Since you absolutely, positively must update the firmware via Ethernet, just bite the bullet and do it.

You'll have much less headache in the long run.
    While I do agree that firmware updates should NEVER be done over wifi, sometimes it is just not that easy to have a permanent wifi free setup. I personally use wifi for my tank because the router is upstairs and the tank is in the basement. I am in a rental, so I cant run ethernet through the walls, and I have dogs so I cant just leave it on the floor (flying dogs are funny, but routers going flying with them not so much, lol). When I do a firmware update, I just bust out the laptop and hook it up directly to the tank over ethernet.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    When I do a firmware update, I just bust out the laptop and hook it up directly to the tank over ethernet.
    Wait, you can do that? So my frag tank in the opposite corner of the basement can't get very good wireless... I can go cat5 apex and cat5 laptop and access/program it that way from my laptop? Just do that whenever I need to change something. I'

Yeah. You just have to set a static ip for your LAN ipv4 and turn off your wireless

Quote Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
    Wait, you can do that? So my frag tank in the opposite corner of the basement can't get very good wireless... I can go cat5 apex and cat5 laptop and access/program it that way from my laptop? Just do that whenever I need to change something. I'
    Yes you can. But as he said, zombie does that only for doing firmware updates. It is not a viable solution for everyday use for most people. If the Apex isn't connected in some way you your router, it can't send alarm emails and you cannot use Apex Fusion.

If the WiFi signal from your router is too weak, you can use a pair of PowerLine adapters - one gets connected to the Apex, one gets connected to the router, and it uses the electrical wiring in your house to extend the wired network. One example: http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...155_TPL-410APK
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Yes you can. But as he said, zombie does that only for doing firmware updates. It is not a viable solution for everyday use for most people. If the Apex isn't connected in some way you your router, it can't send alarm emails and you cannot use Apex Fusion.

If the WiFi signal from your router is too weak, you can use a pair of PowerLine adapters - one gets connected to the Apex, one gets connected to the router, and it uses the electrical wiring in your house to extend the wired network. One example: http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...155_TPL-410APK
    That's helpful. So I wouldn't need a wireless adapter (gaming device) with a device like that?

If your signal strangth is low, I would actually recommend something like this instead. they tend to handle low signal strength better.

http://m.target.com/p/netgear-univer...FScV7AodUiQAxA

Regular Vistor
    Does that have an Ethernet port? Seems like if I can hardwire from that to apex then id be good to go.

It does. Same one I use for my tank. It also boosts my wifi in the basement too so I can stream my xbox without lag

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the help. I have a product on the way that should accomplish this. Going to see if I can find it local tomorrow too because I'm just not patient.

They sell the one I linked at best buy and target btw.