Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about my ATO setup

Frequent Visitor

Question about my ATO setup

Ok I'm new to this and have read alot and have a better understanding of how to program the apex. I've got the basics down I think but was wondering what I would do in order to setup my specific ATO setup. I have {2} 5 gallon juggs, one with RO, and one with RO and Kalkwasser. I have a small pump inside the Kalkwasser that I would like to come on say an hour per day to mix it. I have 2 Toms Aqualifter pumps and 2 float switches. I would like my ATO to run RO during the day, and have it use the Kalkwaser solution during the night when my PH drops. How would I program each Aqualifter pump to do this? Right now my RO pump is set to this..

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
    Defer 002:00 Then ON
    Min Time 010:00 Then OFF

My Kalkwasser pump is setup like this...

Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/002:00/003:00 Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
    If pH > 8.35 Then OFF
    If Time 06:00 to 23:00 Then OFF

Now I havent used the Kalkwasser setting yet, I just copied it from another thread but would like to know what adjustments that I'd have to make to get it all working properly.

One question first. If your pH gets above 8.35 at night, do you want your rodi pump to take over for it, or have neither pump run during that situation?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I would say yes. Since I have two reservoirs, two pumps, and two float switches, maybe a program just telling which pump to kick on depending on the PH level??? Thanks for your help in advance.

This modification will do the trick.

RODI pump
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
    If Outlet BlockRODI = ON Then OFF

Kalk Pump
    Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/000:12/004:48 Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
    If pH > 8.35 Then OFF

BlockRODI (virtual outlet)
    Set OFF
    If time 23:00 to 06:00 Then ON
    If pH > 8.34 Then OFF

One thing I see however, is that your osc statement looks to be tuned wrong unless you have a 500 gallon tank in arizona. What is your weekly evaporation in gallons (if you tell me resevoir size and how often you fill, I can back calculate)

Last edited by zombie; 07-18-2014 at 17:22. Reason: Changed osc values

Frequent Visitor
    each reservoir is 5 gallons. I get about 1 gallon per day evaporation (93G rimless cube) I guess the next question would be depending on which reservoir is being used to ATO. This is a new setup for me. I usually just used one container with kalk mixed with my RO only but thought it would be a good idea having two separate reservoirs and use as needed depending on PH level. I did overdose once (bad float switch) so having this apex would help me prevent that from happening again.

The one gallon a day is the only nimber I needed. You actually want it set to 12 seconds every 5 minutes to match your evaporation level as closely as possible. 3 minutes of kalk addition with an aqualifter (could happen very easily if your main float gets stuck) would drive your pH up by about 0.5 with that size tank for a few minutes, and you definately dont want that. I edited the post above to reflect this.

Frequent Visitor
    Awesome!! Only thing is an error with the rodi pump setting. I created the virtual outlet with your settings, then the kalk pump setting. When I do the RO pump settings I get this error.....
    Send Failed

//Error: line 5 - Expected ON or OFF OR PFx // If Outlet BlockRODI = ON Then OFG

What is ON Then OFG?

That is just phone fingers. It should say OFF not OFG. Code edited above to remove the typo.

Frequent Visitor
    So in English my RODI will pump 6am to 11pm when needed, and Kalk will pump 11pm to 6am when needed. I'm confused about the OSC with the Kalk pump. Is that so it goes a little bit at a time during the set time?

The osc part just makes sure that the kalk pump is only allowed to pump for 12 seconds every 5 minutes, which is just a hair higher then the amount of water that evaporates in 5 minutes time. That way if your float switch 1 sticks closed it will take hours if not days to pump enough water for it to reach the high float switch. By the time that happens, your rodi pump will taje over and you wont have to worry about overdosing kalk.

Frequent Visitor
    Again, thank you for your help. I'll test it out right away and post back.

Frequent Visitor
    Doesn't seem to be working out. Neither pump is coming on automatically. I have to put it on manual. Both of my float switches have the magnet down so when my sump is full its OPEN, when it gets low its CLOSED so in the statement it should come on after 2 minutes and once within 10 right?

are both floats showing closed in fusion or the dashboard when you are checking it?

Did you wait 12 minutes from the last time the rodi pump was off to check that it turned back on?

Frequent Visitor
    yes. i have not heard it come one once since ive input those commands. i had to put back a basic code on my rodi to keep my sump topped off.

Copy paste your code in here. Its possible there is a typo in there that is preventing it from turning on. You will have to watch the kalk ATO very particularly to see it turn on. That should turn on at the top of the minute in apex time every 5 minutes if both switches are closed and only between 11pm and 6am. force both switches to closed if they arent closed already at 11:04 apex time and sit there and watch it for a couple of minutes.

Frequent Visitor
    This modification will do the trick.

RODI pump
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
    If Outlet BlockRODI = ON Then OFF

Kalk Pump
    Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/000:12/004:48 Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF
    If pH > 8.35 Then OFF

BlockRODI (virtual outlet)
    Set OFF
    If time 23:00 to 06:00 Then ON
    If pH > 8.34 Then OFF

Copy paste from the dashboard directly. Something could have gotten changed or modified wrong when you typed it in.

Frequent Visitor
    thats how i did it to be safe.

Ok. I thought you copied from earlier in the post since it had "this modification will do the trick".

Start with this for the rodi and test it. If that works, add the next line of code and see if it still works.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw2 OPEN Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    Ok RO came on automatically but I had to remove Ďf Sw2 OPEN Then OFF. Both floats are at the same level and same orientation.

Thats odd for sure. Maybe you are getting some noise or bounce in the float or it is starting to go bad. Can you move the sw2 float approximately 1" higher than sw1 and see if the problem is still occuring?

Frequent Visitor
    I raised Sw2 1" above and added back If Sw2 Open Then OFF, and it won't come on. Any work around to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Make sure sw2 has VERY GOOD connections to your BOB and try one more time. If that doesnt work, take the sw1 line out and keep the sw2 line and physically swap sw1 and sw2. If it does not work there, there is a bad connection inside bob that is causing problems with the sw2 port. If it worjs with the two swapped and sw2 line there, the float is bad. If that is the casw replace the float with a good high quality one (madison are great).

Frequent Visitor
    Think I got it. Swapped each float sw and sw positon in bo box, same issue. So I switch to Sw3 and Sw4 and WALAA!! Seems to be working. I took out the Defer 002:00 Then ON Min Time 010:00 Then OFF to play with the floats and they seem to be working now. All lines are back and we'll see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast