Thread: Help updating firmware with MAC unable to unlock controller

New User

Help updating firmware with MAC unable to unlock controller

I have had a bad week with my controller, Apex Lite, and am hoping to find a fix. Sunday through Friday my controller locked up frequently. Everyday at 2pm for sure but as the week went on another 6-7 times as the evening went on. Even after it came back up I could not control many outlets and could not connect through the network on most attempts. On Friday I decided to initialize and start from scratch. I initialized all on the main display module and then loaded new firmware and web pages. I used a work PC where there is no turning off virus scan and there is no delete cache. Maybe this just added to the issues. For 20 hours or so I could not get the display to come up and the symptoms seem to change constantly. For 10 minutes last night I registered it with Fusion and was able to get in and look at it. No more!

I want to redo the firmware with my mac but when I try I get unable to unlock controller: Operation timed out. On the PC there was a place to put in the admin and password but not here. How to I get through this step?

I want to just order a new base unit but am afraid I may just have the same issues if its something I am doing.

When you update your firmware, is your apex connected hardline to a router, hardline to your computer, or connected over wifi? Is wireless turned off on your computer when you do a firmware update?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    Both hard wired to router and wifi off.

since I dont own a mac, I am not sure if the lack of username and password is a problem or not. Russ, alain, or bert will probably chime in on that.

One suggestion I do have for everyone, mac or pc, is to follow this sequence for firmware updates. I see way fewer problems if this sequence is followed.

1. Do a firmware update only (no webpages)

2. Restart apex

3. Do a bootloader update from the display

4. Restart apex

5. Update firmware and webpages

6. Restart apex

7. Clear internet browsing history from the beginning of time.

New User
    From what I read it only asks for the username and password the first time you do it. After that it does not unless something has changed. I can not find a way to verify what it is using is correct.

Since the MAC will not connect I went back to my PC to see if it would. It does connect but gives another error. Says the uploader was unable to locate a valid ARP entry which on some systems may need to be created by the user. Please re-run the uploader using the command-line option 'noarp' for further instructions. That seems intense!

Also as it it trying it says Apex is running in boot loader mode. Possibly caused by me doing a boot loader update on the display. I only get this far on my PC which is a work PC so I can not follow the instructions as I should, no cache delete no turning off virus protection.

Should I try to connect my MAC mini directly to the apex? I've never done that but I could try.

Hummm. I can't say I've had exactly the problem the OP has with my also hardwired controller and hardwired iMac. Here's things I can think of that have given me these sort of symptoms in the past or corrected strange issues going on related to accessing my controller. I know the OP may not be able to do all these, but at least it's things I can think of to try or at least consider:

• Web pages were not in-sync with firmware (one should always update both at the same time)
    • Clearing my browser cache resolves a lot of funny things
    • Switching screens using the native interface too quickly at times will cause the next screen to not present everything it should or act the way it generally does. (I believe there may be something going on with javascript coming down after the HTML code, and if you are on a slow connection or your controller isn't responsive enough, it does not all get down to your device before you begin interacting.) The way to resolve this is just take a deep breath between interactions and not try to be a speed demon.
    • Using a different browser. I generally use Safari (7.0.5 on OSX 10.9.4), but for some things, Chrome seems to work better -- and unfortunately, vice-versa. Firefox is somewhere between the two most of the time in compatibility, albeit I keep it these days as the 3rd thing I try when I'm really stuck.
    • Turn off any "ad blocking" browser extensions you may have that may sometimes turn off fields on your web pages in error. e.g. I use "Adblock" in Safari, Chrome and Firefox, and early-on, I set it so everything I do with my Apex locally, via Fusion, and via remote access is excluded from blocking. (Can't remember the precise problem I was having, but I did end up going through this problem determination.)
    • Be sure you don't have multiple things trying to communicate to your controller at once, e.g. if you have an iPhone/iPad/Droid device, shut down all those apps, and don't go at your controller via Fusion and traditional means including mobile devices simultaneously.

If I can think of something more specific while I'm out walking the dog, I'll post. I'll also play around with the firmware updater later this morning and see if I can come up with something. Good luck!
    Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    ...If I can think of something more specific while I'm out walking the dog, I'll post. I'll also play around with the firmware updater later this morning and see if I can come up with something. Good luck!
    So, walking the dog does open up at least my mind some times. Here's what I've additionally thought of:
    • Another browser extension that can inadvertently eliminate fields or cause some web pages to fail is "DoNotTrackMe". If you use it, you MUST either have all URLs that access your Apex in it's exception list, or turn it off to ensure success. I love this extension, but it has and does cause issues if you're not careful.
    • This password thing why you're not being prompted in OSX, but are with your PC was at first puzzling. My logic says it's popping up on your PC because it's not being retained there like it is on your Mac. For the most part, I have not been aware of a lot of places where Neptune code overtly acts different with one or the other.
      • I don't think Neptune stores anything in Flash settings as some apps do, but you could delete all you have by going to Apple/System Preferences/Flash Player/Advanced and "delete all" from there.
      • When you use the firmware update utility, perhaps Neptune is using the browser engine under the covers, but it's not apparent. On your Mac, if it's not in Flash (probably not), your password is likely in one of two places -- the browser, which if you cleared cache, cookies and passwords, isn't it; otherwise, perhaps you put it, or your Mac stored it automatically based on your preferences in KeyChain (which is unique to the Mac/iCloud and does not exist by default in the PC world). I don't personally use KeyChain for much, but to see what you have there, go to your Applications/Utilities Folder and run "Keychain Access". If it is storing your password, you'll see it there depending how you accessed your Apex when it was stored -- likely the address, something like "192.168.1.xxx"; Using right-click, you can delete it there.

• ...and lastly, since you're in no-mans-land with the boot loader it seems, if all else fails, open a ticket with support and let them try to help. I'd at least do that before ordering a new one, or be prepared to perhaps return your new one if it's in the mail should Support be able to figure this out.

Once again, good luck.
    Bert

New User
    Thanks for the thoughts. I just hot home and am going to work on this for a few hours. I reset safari, disconnected all modules but one EB8 and unplugged the base unit for a few minutes. Maybe I can get it to work tonight.

New User
    Well after resetting Safari instead of deleting the cache only I was able to load firmware and webpages. I was able to add all modules back in but 1 EB8, nothing I tried would make it show on the dashboard. After about 2 hours some of the previous symptoms of not being able to control the main EB8 started happening again. Even from the display on the Apex I could make it show the outlet was off when it was not. This happens on both the EB8 and the EB4 that I have on the dashboard. It appeared to be a latching issue on the 3 halide outlets since I manually unplugged them to turn them off then plugged them back in and the stayed off. On my LED actinic the outlet is stuck on no matter what. I'll try opening a ticket today but I am not home during the day so I don't know if they will be able to help.

Thanks again for the assistance

Did you let the halides cool down for at least 15 minutes before you tried turning those outlets on?