Thread: Before you spend a nickle on this system....be sure to read all the power failure reportings...

New User

Before you spend a nickle on this system....be sure to read all the power failure reportings...

basically for 600.00, the device cannot recover from a power outage. It cannot re-establish it's connections, you have to reset it manually.

Enjoy,
    Chris

Frequent Visitor
    100% untrue. I have had my system for 30 months and it survived 2 hurricanes and several brown outs without issue. Are there issues, sure as with any technology but the Apex does great for many users and I can personally reference 3 systems that have been without 'power' issues for years.

New User
    Not 100% untrue. Maybe your experience is different Lefkonj. But just look around here at all the reported issues with power outage recovery, there many. I am on a support link with Apex, and they have yet to resolve it.... Regards....

cdub - you obviously have an ax to grind - maybe you think you can apply leverage to Neptune this way to fix your problem. Whatever the reason, your implication that the Apex cannot recover from a power failure is patently wrong - and I suspect you really know that.

Maybe your unit has a problem. That's very possible. And I'm sure Neptune will figure out what the issue is. But being melodramatic about it isn't going to hurry the solution.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

New User
    yeah, you are right of course Aquamaniac. Just look around here...read all of the 'power failure' threads... I don't have to make the story up.....

Quote Originally Posted by cdub1955 View Post
    yeah, you are right of course Aquamaniac. Just look around here...read all of the 'power failure' threads... I don't have to make the story up.....
    I am sorry for your experience, but I can say from owning an apex and being a active part of this forum, these kinds of problems are not in a high percentage of users. Most that I see are actually related to user errors loading a firmware update (using wifi is a biggie) or the user not doing bootloader updates between major firmware changes (should always be done when the first set of numbers changes ex between 4.30_xxxx and 4.31_xxxx if not every firmware update). The remainder are defective units, which neptune support is very good about turning around very quick and often fixes them for free even outside warranty periods. They even have a loaner option now that lets you get a loaner piece of equipment while yours is in for repairs with a credit card hold. Once you return it they remove the hold.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

OP, I too am sorry for the problems you have encountered.

IMHO though, I put no blame on the Apex or any other electronic product I own that fails during a power spike or outage that does not specify it's made to defend itself against such problems (like some higher-end power strips, UPS, and devices sold to be placed between the circuit and devices like my Air Conditioning Service Company tries to keep selling me for my Central Air system). An a Apex has no such specification that I read prior to or after taking delivery. I have lived in parts of the country with problematic power that seemed to go out or have spikes or quick outages 2-3 times per month -- and I lost a couple of expensive electronic devices with no one to complain to except myself. As such, I have since maintained UPS for my home router, phone, and key electronics components including my PC and Mac for more than 20 years in each of my homes across 4 different States. I have a number of better surge protection strips for other devices. When I was designing my current tank setup, I put in two dedicated circuits for just my 150gal tank, so there is some electrical redundancy, and I purposely split devices across circuits in case one goes out and not the other. I also purchased a 3rd UPS for use with my tank to supply continuous power to my Apex and at least one power head for several hours using some of the info I found out on this forum with different ways to provide electrical continuity during an outage. At this moment, I have a single point of potential electrical failure still in my tank -- a power surge could zap my EBs and/or Controller, but I have in plan to install a full-home power surge protector when I have my electrical panel replaced in the next couple of years. I have that known risk until then. All that to say, I try to provide an additional layer of electrical protection for key electronics in my home, and specifically studied that as part of my tank build. I recognize most people are probably not as xxxx as I am that way.

The other thing I'd offer is having dealt with Customers for my entire career, Customer Satisifaction Surveys, various Consultant recommendations from studies I commissioned, etc... the majority of what one reads on social media and forums like this are complaints ... Not people signing up for an ID to say how much they enjoy a particular product, how stable it is, or how well it is working for them. Complaints and problem reports far out number Good reviews by 10 to 1, so some of us use that data point to temper everything we read online these days.

Good luck with resolving your problem, and again, I'm sorry for the outage and impact it had on you and your tank. I must agree with Zombie that I've not read a lot of problems where the OP also posted solutions or complete data here, that were not associated with incomplete or dated firmware/bootloader problems which are customer responsibilities to maintain, or where the owner did not think through and consider their electrical requirements beyond what a device like the Apex on its own is designed to deal with. My personal suggestion is to let Neptune help you with what they can now after-the-fact, and at the same time, consider what else you may want to do to reinforce your infrastructure not only for your Apex but other electronics and key components (pumps?) in your tank setup that can be impacted with power problems in the future.

I appreciate you are frustrated, but my comments are meant most sincerely to help, not to be argumentative, continue a debate, or to make things worse. No response is required. My best.
    Bert

Quote Originally Posted by cdub1955 View Post
    Not 100% untrue. Maybe your experience is different Lefkonj. But just look around here at all the reported issues with power outage recovery, there many. I am on a support link with Apex, and they have yet to resolve it.... Regards....

I sincerely hope that the next time you board a plane it will not fall off the sky on you !

Alain

Frequent Visitor
    100% disagree. due to construction on my street the power was being shut off every morning for about a week. it only lasted about 10 min so i monitored the system to make sure everything came on ok. never had an issue once.

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    Simply solution buy a ups you get battery back up as well as surge protection. I would think after spending 600 bucks for a peice of tech people would want to protect it from harm. And we get many power outages in the north east and I have never had a issue with my apex starting back up