Thread: Network Adapter Battery Backup??

New User

Network Adapter Battery Backup??

Does anyone have a bright idea on what cheap battery backup I could use to power my IO Gear Network Adapter?? I already have my Apex on the classic Belkin battery backup so that keeps the Apex on, but i need the Wireless Adapter on to send an email out, my router is on a completely different circuit so this fix is really meant to just notify me if this particular circuit trips.... I'm picturing one of those "lipstick" sized battery charges that you can use to recharge your phone with but it's hard to tell if they can simultaneously charge and supply power to the device. I realize that the "simple" solution is to just get a $40-$60 UPS but that kinda seems like overkill since I already have the Belkin for my Apex. Any thoughts would be appreciatedIMG_1805.jpgIMG_1806.jpg

If the IOGear takes 12 volts, you could make a splitter to feed both the Apex aux power input and the IOGear.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    IMG_1807.jpgI always forget one important piece of information. IO Gear Adapter is powered by one of these phone style chargers... usb to mini usb, thats why i was thinking one of those phone battery backups that you can carry around with you... I'm assuming is not 12V cause that would make my life easy. I tried searching for this answer and I'm actually kinda surprised no one else asked about this issue.... maybe going wireless isn't as common as I had thought. Thanks Russ!

Yeah, that's 5 volts.

I think that most people who do provide backup power just use a small regular UPS for both the Apex and wireless bridge.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Network Adapter Battery Backup??

I power both my apex and wireless adapter with the belkin battery back up no problem. You have to split the cable and one goes to apex 12v. The other wire in a female 12vlt socket. Get a decent not cheapo 12vlt usb charger which converts to 5vlt and then plug the wireless adapter into that.
    Last edited by Bala de Plata; 07-27-2014 at 10:35. Reason: correction

New User
    IMG_0035.jpgI think this will do the job.... has the micro usb built right in. Any objections??

Frequent Visitor
    Didnt read the details in the pic, carry on. Looks like its a good.

New User
    Thanks, I'll give it a try and post my results.
    Dave