Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Led boom boom instructions

Frequent Visitor

Led boom boom instructions

Ok I just got my 2 reef radiance 155e and I'm now going to remove my MH's and install the led's. I need instructions on how to code this and I do have Apex Fusion.

I would like a ramp up and ramp down and a random thunderstorm and also be able to manually trigger a thunder storm. I was thinking of doing a 1 hour ramp up and down. What are the opinions on the amount of time on ramping up and down?

If u can please give me step by step instructions on how to do this it would be amazing!

Thank you
    David Diaz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First, play around with the intensities to find a color combination that you like as well as how low you can set the intensity before the leds shut off (ranges between 1% to 10% depending on the fixture). Onve you have done that, click on the variable speed port for one color and click the wand icon. That will bring up the lighting wizard. Drag the points to match the intensities that you liked and the times you want your ramps to be. Then do the same for the other color and click the compare button to see if they match up how you like. Below is an example of what you want to kind of shoot for. The blue line is the blue leds, and the orange line is the white leds.

Thunderstorms are a bit trickier. I'll see if I can dig up the code I used to use for that. I dont use it anymore because the lightning strikes were scaring my fish.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    First, play around with the intensities to find a color combination that you like as well as how low you can set the intensity before the leds shut off (ranges between 1% to 10% depending on the fixture). Onve you have done that, click on the variable speed port for one color and click the wand icon. That will bring up the lighting wizard. Drag the points to match the intensities that you liked and the times you want your ramps to be. Then do the same for the other color and click the compare button to see if they match up how you like. Below is an example of what you want to kind of shoot for. The blue line is the blue leds, and the orange line is the white leds.

Thunderstorms are a bit trickier. I'll see if I can dig up the code I used to use for that. I dont use it anymore because the lightning strikes were scaring my fish.

Where should I set my intensity at first? Also by saying set the intensity u mean manually on the fixtures? Or is it thru the apex fusion?

Do those fixtures have dimming connections for an external (i.e. Apex) signal or is it just a dial on the fixture?
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Do those fixtures have dimming connections for an external (i.e. Apex) signal or is it just a dial on the fixture?
    They are now 2 channel 0-10V. Used to be dimmer knob only.

Frequent Visitor
    I have the reef radiance 155e with the apex connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Diazreeflife View Post
    Where should I set my intensity at first? Also by saying set the intensity u mean manually on the fixtures? Or is it thru the apex fusion?
    Set them manually first just to find out what levels and ratios of blue to white that you like at midday and moonlighting (if you want moonlighting), then add those intensities to the wizard. Since you are coming from halides, you can start fairly high. 80% for blues and 60% for whites at midday is a good starting point and you can turn them up in the wizard in a week or so as long as you dont see bleaching on your corals.

Frequent Visitor
    Set them manually first just to find out what levels and ratios of blue to white that you like at midday and moonlighting (if you want moonlighting), then add those intensities to the wizard. Since you are coming from halides, you can start fairly high. 80% for blues and 60% for whites at midday is a good starting point and you can turn them up in the wizard in a week or so as long as you dont see bleaching on your corals.

Ok let me ask this once I start controlling through fusion where should I set my LEDs manually? Should I just keep the manual setting where I like them or Max them out then change it in the fusion settings?

It either doesnt matter, or they need to be maxed out. Not sure as I dont own one of these fixtures. You could always max them out to err on the side of caution.

I'd set them to max and just use the Apex to control intensity, as if those knobs didn't exist.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I'd set them to max and just use the Apex to control intensity, as if those knobs didn't exist.

ok so maybe im a little apex illiterate lol, but I need help please. Here is where im at I got all the equipment installed, my leds like most units each of 2 electric cords so I got them plugged into my Apex, fyi I purchased a EP4 just for the leds so I now have my EP8 and the EP4. I plugged in the Ethernet cable from led unit 1 to variable speed port 1/2 and Led unit 2 to variable speed port 3/4.

Now that all the equipment is connected is where im lost.

Do I go to each individual outlet and enter code?
    Do I just use the "lighting wizard" to set everything up?
    How do I set it up to follow the natural daylight schedule?
    How do I set up a demo so I can manually start a thunderstorm?

I would recommend starting with the lighting wizard so that you can get the basic part of the code how you want it first. You can set up just V1 and V2 first, and then copy the programming from V1 into V3 and the programming from V2 into V4.

When you are referring to the natural daylight schedule, do you mean the season table? If so, Russ has a good how to guide on that located here. http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...Weather-events. This is made specifically for ecotech and AI fixtures, so you will need to dp the process twice, once for blues, and again for whites. But it uses the same principles.

If I were you, I would leave out the thunderstorm for now and just focus on getting the other stuff running. The coding for thunderstorms is a bit tricky and I got rid of the coding on mine to conserve memory and processing power since it scared my fish. After you get it running and have a working code. Paste your code in here and I can help you code that if you really want it.

The equivalent sticky for AI Sols is a far more appropriate example for adaptation to 0-10v dimmable lighting.
    http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...Weather-events

Lightning is not officially supported with 0-10v lighting. Cloudy effects do work though.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The equivalent sticky for AI Sols is a far more appropriate example for adaptation to 0-10v dimmable lighting.
    http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...Weather-events

Lightning is not officially supported with 0-10v lighting. Cloudy effects do work though.
    I don't understand?

Can you please answer the following questions so that we can avoid confusing each other. I am still really confused as to what you want your lights to do.

1. Do you want the lights to use seasonal times or do you want it to turn on and off at the same time every day of the year?

2. If you dont want to use seasonal, what time do you want your lights to come on and off each day?

3. Do you want moonlighting before sunrise and after sunset. If so, what is the minimum percentage that you can turn the blues on (using the slider) without them turning off. Also what times do you want the moonlighting to occur?

4. Do you want to simulate cloud cover or do you want midday to be at a constant intensity?

5. What intensities did you prefer at mid day for blue and white? I keep mine at 100% for blue and 80% for white now and started at 80% for blue and 60% for white while I was acclimating corals to the new lighting.

I don't understand?
    zombie pointed you to a sticky post which contains an advanced programming example for using the season table for primary lighting, doing moonlighting, and creating random weather effects. But that programming is for Radion & AI Hydra Vega lighting. I was pointing out that the programming in that particular sticky is not readily adapted for your type of lighting; the link I gave is to a sticky with very similar example programming, but which is simpler and easier to use with your type of lighting fixtures.

Frequent Visitor
    Can you please answer the following questions so that we can avoid confusing each other. I am still really confused as to what you want your lights to do.

1. Do you want the lights to use seasonal times or do you want it to turn on and off at the same time every day of the year?

2. If you dont want to use seasonal, what time do you want your lights to come on and off each day?

3. Do you want moonlighting before sunrise and after sunset. If so, what is the minimum percentage that you can turn the blues on (using the slider) without them turning off. Also what times do you want the moonlighting to occur?

4. Do you want to simulate cloud cover or do you want midday to be at a constant intensity?

5. What intensities did you prefer at mid day for blue and white? I keep mine at 100% for blue and 80% for white now and started at 80% for blue and 60% for white while I was acclimating corals to the new lighting.

I'm not stuck on either I want what's best for my tank, what do u think is the best way to go seasonal table or same time every day?

Right now my t5 actinics go on at 11am and the MH turn on at 12pm, the mh turn off at 6pm and the t5 turn off at 9pm.

I used the slider and there is not a huge difference from 100% intensity to the lowest intensity. I currently have moon lights installed and just leave them on 24/7 I can continue to do that.

I do not want cloud cover.

I would like to start at 100 for blues and 60 for whites.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.[/QUOTE]

I'm not stuck on either I want what's best for my tank, what do u think is the best way to go seasonal table or same
    The decision is really up to personal preference more than anything. I personally use seasonal because it feels more natural to me, but time based is easier to code. I havent seen or heard any noticeable difference in coral growth between the two.

Frequent Visitor
    The decision is really up to personal preference more than anything. I personally use seasonal because it feels more natural to me, but time based is easier to code. I havent seen or heard any noticeable difference in coral growth between the two.

Ok I would like to go more natural so let's go with the seasonal.

Thanks for ur help!!

Can you take a screenshot of your seasonal table for me? Go to the classic dashboard, click edit season table, take a screenshot, and post it here.

Frequent Visitor
    Can you take a screenshot of your seasonal table for me? Go to the classic dashboard, click edit season table, take a screenshot, and post it here.

The only thing I would rather not use is the temperature on the seasonal table is that ok?

If you arent using the RT+ command for your heater, then the seasonal temperature values wont be used by the apex.

That wasnt the screenshot I needed. At the bottom of the page, there is an orange link that says "edit season table". Click that and post a screenshot of the page that gets brought up after you click it.

Frequent Visitor
    If you arent using the RT+ command for your heater, then the seasonal temperature values wont be used by the apex.

That wasnt the screenshot I needed. At the bottom of the page, there is an orange link that says "edit season table". Click that and post a screenshot of the page that gets brought up after you click it.

Below is a code to start with that was developed using the seasonal calculator on reeftronics. I tried to code this to simulate the same lighting structure that you had with your old lights. On the shortest day, blues will ramp up at 11:17 for 1 hour to 100% intensity and ramp down to zero for 1.5 hours ending at 21:38. Whites will start and stop at the same time, but will ramp over 2 hours and down over 3 hours. The longest day of the year will have sunrise at 10:43 and sunset at 21:34.

Blue_Up (profile)
    Type: ramp
    Ramp time: 60
    Start intensity: 0
    End intensity: 100

Blue_Day (profile)
    Ramp time: 1
    Start intensity: 100

Blue_Down (profile)
    Ramp time: 90
    End intensity: 0

Wht_Up (profile)
    Ramp time: 120
    End intensity: 60

Wht_Day (profile)
    Start intensity: 60

Wht_Down (profile)
    Ramp time: 180

Wht_LED (varspd outlet. Use for both white channels)
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sun 240/-120 Then Wht_Up
    If Sun 600/180 Then Wht_Down
    If Sun 360/000 Then Wht_Day

Blue_LED (varspd outlet. Use for both blue channels)
    Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Sun 240/-120 Then Blue_Up
    If Sun 600/180 Then Blue_Down
    If Sun 300/090 Then Blue_Day

Frequent Visitor
    Below is a code to start with that was developed using the seasonal calculator on reeftronics. I tried to code this to simulate the same lighting structure that you had with your old lights. On the shortest day, blues will ramp up at 11:17 for 1 hour to 100% intensity and ramp down to zero for 1.5 hours ending at 21:38. Whites will start and stop at the same time, but will ramp over 2 hours and down over 3 hours. The longest day of the year will have sunrise at 10:43 and sunset at 21:34.

Blue_Up (profile)
    Ramp time: 60

Blue_Day (profile)

Blue_Down (profile)
    Ramp time: 90

Wht_Up (profile)
    Ramp time: 120

Wht_Day (profile)

Wht_Down (profile)
    Ramp time: 180

Wht_LED (varspd outlet. Use for both white channels)
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sun 240/-600 Then Wht_Up
    If Sun 600/180 Then Wht_Down
    If Sun 360/000 Then Wht_Day

Blue_LED (varspd outlet. Use for both blue channels)
    Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Sun 240/-600 Then Blue_Up
    If Sun 600/180 Then Blue_Down
    If Sun 300/090 Then Blue_Day

Ok I kinda understand but this is where I get lost. For all the different profiles I go into apex and set them up individually? How does that profile actually know to control that light? Can u screen shot a profile setup?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast