Thread: How to Setup a "Standby" setting

New User

How to Setup a "Standby" setting

Hi,
    I just took my Apex out of the box today and finally figured out how to program my outlets. What I can't figure out is how to setup an Advanced setting so I can turn my pumps off when I'm doing a water change.
    I'm assuming I'll set up Advanced commands in the (base_var1) outlet, yes? no?

If so, then can someone let me know how I would word the Advanced setting?
    I assume it would start with "Fallback off" ....after that I don't know.

If I'm going down the wrong path, please advise, thanks.

How to Setup a "Standby" setting

Basevar# are variable speed outlets, used for tunze pumps and some dimmable lighting.

The simplest way to handle maintenance events is to use a Feed Cycle. See page 50 of the Comprehensive Reference Manual.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Basevar# are variable speed outlets, used for tunze pumps and some dimmable lighting.

The simplest way to handle maintenance events is to use a Feed Cycle. See page 50 of the Comprehensive Reference Manual.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/
    Many thanks!

New User
    I read through the guide 3x and can't seem to figure out why I can't get the Feed cycle to work. presently I have 3 pumps setup using the the pre-configured "Pump" settings (ie not programmed in Advance). I didn't change the preset Pump settings, they are as follows:

Pump Program
    Fallback ON
    Off time 5:00
    On time 5:00
    Off Time 5:00
    Feed: A
    Feed delay: 000

I then went and setup the Feed A Interval as 025 (minutes)

From my display, when I activate Feed A the timer starts counting down from 1500 seconds but none of the pumps shut off (I have 3 pumps setup the same as above using the template Pump Program). I'm assuming that this should work since the template Pump Program actually has a field for "Feed".
    Am I missing something or does Feed only work by programming the pumps in Advanced with "If FeedA 000 Then OFF"?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

If you go to those pump outlets in the outlet configuration and switch to 'advanced' mode, you'll see the actual code. The last line should read as you question - If FeedA 000 Then OFF. Does it?
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

New User
    Yes, I just switched it from Pump to Advanced and it said FeedA 000 then OFF. I then left it in Advanced mode and tried to activate FeedA and the pump did not turn off?

Are you certain you're activating FeedA? Are you doing this on your display, the desktop or a smartphone app?

Is that the last line in the program?
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

New User
    From the display, I select Control Status then Feed. Then it says FeedA enabled and it is counting down from 1500 seconds. When I took the system out of the box I connected it to my router by ethernet so i could do the initial setup. The tank is 50 feet away so the ethernet is disconnected at present while I await a wireless gaming adapter.

All you need to do is down or up arrow until the desired feed mode is selected then release the button.

Have you tried the other 3 feed modes just for grins and giggles? Do any of them turn your pumps off?
    Al

New User
    Just set a pump to FeedB and it still wouldn't shut off.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Make sure on your dashboard the pump outlets are switched AUTO and not ON.
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
    Make sure on your dashboard the pump outlets are switched AUTO and not ON.
    Ok, I had everything set to "On" because previously I had set the 3 pumps to Auto and it shut them all off. So, I turned them all back to Auto and then put it in FeedA and it worked!! I then cancelled the Feed cycle and they went back to working. Then about 1 minute later all 3 pumps shut down AGAIN even though the Feed cycle had been cancelled. The only way I can get them to go back on is to set them all to ON. The Auto setting doesn't seem to be working.

What the heck is going on with this thing?

The Pump wizard is intended for use with wavemaker-type actions - cycling a pump on and off at frequent regular intervals. If these pumps are normally alwyas-on [pumps like return skimmer pumps, you can't use the Pump wizard.

For each of the outlets in question, change it to Advanced Control Type

You'll see the OSC (oscillate) statemnet - that's what's causing the ON/OFF behavior.

Change to this programming:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then ON

The Set statement establishes the normal state of the outlet as always ON. Later statemnets such as the If Feed statemnet can then be used to turn the outlet off if certain conditions exist (like FeedA being active.)
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.