Thread: Best resources and accessories when installing your Apex

Regular Vistor

Best resources and accessories when installing your Apex

During the installation of my Apex, I found the best resource was using www.monoprice.com

100' ethernet cables to stretch from my desktop to my Apex (temporarily, during firmware updates) $11.50

longer / shorter USB cables for <$1.00 - $1.50

Longer / Shorter 3 conductor PC power cables for Vortech power supplies $0.90 - $2.40

Different colors make sorting out the cords and cables easier

Just my $0.02 worth

New User
    Which USB cables did you use? I've used mono price for other things but didn't see any cables suitable for use with the Apex.

Regular Vistor
    I just use the mono price usb cables for my apex. The longest I have is 10', some people claim you can have problems with really long runs of usb, but for shorter runs, mono price all the way!

DO NOT USE NORMAL USB FOR APEX. Apex uses 12V and USB is rated for 5V, you may eventually burn up the usb cable, which could even cause a fire given the right circumstances. Only use aquabus purchased from neptune directly. If you need longer lengths that what neptune sells, this is the only company I am aware of that sells USB that is adequate for apex applocation. http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    DO NOT USE NORMAL USB FOR APEX. Apex uses 12V and USB is rated for 5V, you will eventually burn up the usb cable, which could even cause a fire given the right circumstances. Only use aquabus purchased from neptune directly. If you need longer lengths that what neptune sells, this is the only company I am aware of that sells USB that is adequate for apex applocation. http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html

What are you talking about? There are plenty of threads on this forum saying you can use regular USB cables, like this one here:

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...dard-USB-cable

You can not use repeater USB cables.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    DO NOT USE NORMAL USB FOR APEX. Apex uses 12V and USB is rated for 5V, you will eventually burn up the usb cable, which could even cause a fire given the right circumstances. Only use aquabus purchased from neptune directly.
    This is absolutely incorrect. The only prohibitions are:

A) the total combined cable length cannot exceed 200'

B) no powered USB devices should ever be plugged into an Aquabus support. This includes powered USB extender cables which have embedded repeaters.

Any USB cable with the right connectors can used quite safely and successfully as long as it is just a regular USB cable.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    why would the voltage matter, isnt it the current that would fry something.

The voltage matters because each wire in the cable is insulated to prevent a short in the cable. Many cheapo usb cables and even some higher price ones are only insulated to 10 or 15 volts. If more voltage is applied to the cable than the insulation is rated for, it will arc a hole in the insulation that can cause a short, which is what actually causes the damage.