Thread: Finding the IP Address

Finding the IP Address

So I'm connected to my apex. It works great from my phone and Internet. But in having trouble figuring out what my IP Address is. I just purchased an Aquatic Log membership, so I'm trying to add a controller and need the address.

Here's what my apex display unit is showing me. Starting at the System menu, I click NetSetup, then IP Address.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can find it here. It may change from time to time. Usually a few times a year. You need to set up port forwarding on your router so that aquatic log can access the apex if you havent done so already.

http://www.whatismyip.com

If you dont want to have to change your ip in aquatic log every time it changes, you will need to set up dynamic dns as well.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

So I still can't figure this out. Someone from Neptune? Shouldn't it tell me the ip address?

The apex tells you the local LAN ip address. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that aquatic log requires you wide area network (WAN) ip address that you can find using the link I provided. If that is the case (im pretty sure it is), you also need to set up port forwarding in your router.

I'm definitely not following. I couldn't figure out that website. And my apex is connected online because I control it from my phone. I have no idea what you mean by port forwarding.

I'm not IT smart

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The apex tells you the local LAN ip address. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that aquatic log requires you wide area network (WAN) ip address that you can find using the link I provided. If that is the case (im pretty sure it is), you also need to set up port forwarding in your router.
    But I definitely appreciate you trying to help!

This explains how to set up port forwarding

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...g6odSuC1M311vA

Essentially you have a local ip address LAN that allows you to access something connected to your home network by other devices on your home network. That is why you can connect with the iphone app while you are at home. For aquatic log to access your information outside of your home network, it needs the ip address assigned to you by your internet service provider (commonly known as WAN). The link I gave you is cluttered with other information now (didnt use to be) but this website doesnt have that clutter.

http://www.ipchicken.com

Thank you! My boyfriend speaks more IT than I do. I'm putting him in charge lol.

I appreciate your help and simplified explanations. Ask me legal questions and I got you. ... ask me about port forwarding and I look at you like you have 3 heads.

Ok. So the port forwarding link you sent tells me to mark down my apex ip address which I don't know. The apex doesn't tell me anything.

IP chicken website tells me one address but that doesn't work for creating a link to the controller.

Go to your display or the classic dashboard. Check to see if DHCP is enabled (net setup -> DHCP). If it is, disable it. Then go to net setup -> ip address and change only the last set to a 3 digit number you will remember (ex if is said 192.168.1.5, change it to 192.168.1.123). Then restart the apex from the display or classic dashboard (net setup -> restart). The number you changed it to will be the ip address you set in the router for port forwarding.

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    You have a home network with an address 192.168.1.0 Your ISP leases a public IP address to you; 99.x.x.x or some other address - this how you access the Internet. Now in order for you to access your Apex when your outside your house, you need to port forward. Why? Because your ISP blocks port 80; so you need to port forward (ie. 9900[outside]:80[inside]) To do this you need to access your router [192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254].