Thread: Momentary Switch user feedback from Apex

Frequent Visitor

Momentary Switch user feedback from Apex

I know that momentary switches (doorbell, etc) need to be held in for a second or two for the Apex to register the state change. What's the best way to provide user feedback when the switch is recognized by the Apex? I'm thinking the sound warning may be the best bet, but I was curious what solutions users have come up with. The switches I am using are LED back lit, but I suspect it would be fairly difficult without using one EB outlet per switch LED to signal to blink the LED when registered.

I want to be able to leave instructions when people are watching my tank such as "Push button until <thing> happens", such as beeping noise, blinking lights, dancing robots, etc. Any ideas are appreciated!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BraenDead View Post
    I know that momentary switches (doorbell, etc) need to be held in for a second or two for the Apex to register the state change. What's the best way to provide user feedback when the switch is recognized by the Apex? I'm thinking the sound warning may be the best bet, but I was curious what solutions users have come up with. The switches I am using are LED back lit, but I suspect it would be fairly difficult without using one EB outlet per switch LED to signal to blink the LED when registered.

I want to be able to leave instructions when people are watching my tank such as "Push button until <thing> happens", such as beeping noise, blinking lights, dancing robots, etc. Any ideas are appreciated!

Bob
    Many options as you already suspect.

Me, I have a small red/blue flashing LED that comes on next to my buttons and is visible thought the room. My Apex turns that LED on whenever something isn't right, e.g. Return or skimmer is off, temps is too high or too low, etc., and that therefore provided the visual que the feed button has been pushed. My instructions basically tell folks to press the button u til the light comes on. I, of course, know it comes on for anything out of the ordinary including while my feed cycles are operational.

BTW, my LED "wastes" an EB outlet with a low voltage transformer. It provides me a simple way to manage it via my Apex without a lot of DIY (which is not my preferred cup of tea.)
    Bert

In my case, the return pumps make a noticeable "thunk" sound when shuts off... that's a good telltale for the two buttons that will shut down parts of the system (one is for routine maintenance, the other is for emergency shutdown such as in event of flooding_. Another button kills the lights (that's the "we're going to watch a movie button" - that one is quite obvious, and needs no instruction or additional indication.

If you don't use the audible alarms, you could definitely make use of one of them quite easily.

[SndWarn]
    Set OFF
    If Sw 1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw 2 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw 3 CLOSED Then ON
    Min Time 000:03 Then ON

Just listen to all the tones and pick the best tone... the rising pitch tone might be a good choice. The caveat here is can the alarm be heard?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I haven't used the audible stuff on the Apex yet so not sure how loud it is or what it sounds like. However, I realized a good solution could be to use one EB plug for the backlit LEDs on the switches and just blink the LEDs once a button is pushed. I think I'll test out the two options and go with whatever feels more natural. Thanks for the ideas!

Bob