Thread: best possible ATO setup

best possible ATO setup

I tried not to ask this, but there are too many options and my mind is starting to spin. Can some experience please help out by letting me know what you think is the best way to go about using or setting up an ATO system using the Apex as the controller. I am not concerned at this point about programming. I am looking at opinions on the best set up of material or hardware at this time.
    I tried the Coralvue optical unit and it filled my sump for no reason, except for malfunction, after the fifth day of operation.
    Thank you all for your help and opinions.
    Money is not too much of an option.

Regular Vistor
    My favorite is the one by Avast. http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/Top-off-Kit. I have had mine for three years with zero issues.

My two favorite things are that it uses an air switch and it has a manual float that is an awesome failsafe.

I was just looking into Avast. I will have to dig deeper.
    Thanks

Is Avast ATO capable of keeping the water level constant within a quarter inch?

Quote Originally Posted by mmedeiros2 View Post
    Is Avast ATO capable of keeping the water level constant within a quarter inch?
    I would say yes to some extend , this is the same principle avast use for their skimate locker : a bare tube into which the air pressure is building up due to the rise of water activating a micro-switch at the end of the tube . I have a skimate locker for a long time and it never missed a beat , i am also using this avast designed switch for ATO . Very reliable , the only problem i had with one of those is a cold solder joint on the switch that was detected upon first installation . This system rely on air pressure so it is not sensible to contaminant on the float shaft or other thing sticking to the float or shaft that would interfere with the operation . The microswitch could fail however . Nothing is perfect !

Alain

Tunze Osmilator 3155

The specs for the avast state that it keep the level of water at normally 1/2 inch shift.

Frequent Visitor
    I have had ,

Ebay dual float - failed
    Tunze i- great ato just pricey
    Smart Ato - awesome low cost and works amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I use a very simple cheap float switch that feeds to a float Valve via a aqualifter. So IF my switch gets fouled and stays on the float valve will raise and close the valve that can contain 50-60psi about 10,000 times the pressure my aqualifter can put out so no way it can over fill. BUT just incase I only have 5 gallon top off tank which my system could absorb.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm curious as to why your trying to find a stand alone ATO when you could use a couple float switches and a BOB right? I'm new to the Apex game so I'm still trying to figure things out.

Some people just aren't into the whole DIY thing.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Kegogut,
    I was thinking of not using anything mechanical like float switches that could poss. stick with salt creep or debris. I have been seeing air presure trip a micro switch in the field of ventilation systems that last for years. this is why i was leaning toward the Avast setup. Also the Avast stand alone is setup with the magnetic holder and the safety shut off float. For the extra money it saves me time by not peicing things together. Like Aquamanic stated, there are people that might not have time or the desire to do the DIY thing. Years ago i would, but i am getting sick of work at 55 years of age.
    I believe that i will go with the Avast setup up, with the back up float safety shutoff, and the digital output option (two wire connection) tied to an Apex BOB that i must purchase, and control the ATO pump with a second Energy Bar 8 that I must purchase, Avast setup=$104 / Apex BOB=$40 / Apex Energy Bar 8=$150 / I think i have a 120 VAC pump that i can use. Bottom line - another 3 balloons into the tank set up. LOL. At least i will have future spare Energy Bar Outlets, and future spare BOB inputs. Thank you all for your time and input. Please feel free in giving me your opinion on the route that i am taking.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmedeiros2 View Post
    Kegogut,
    I was thinking of not using anything mechanical like float switches that could poss. stick with salt creep or debris. I have been seeing air presure trip a micro switch in the field of ventilation systems that last for years. this is why i was leaning toward the Avast setup. Also the Avast stand alone is setup with the magnetic holder and the safety shut off float. For the extra money it saves me time by not peicing things together. Like Aquamanic stated, there are people that might not have time or the desire to do the DIY thing. Years ago i would, but i am getting sick of work at 55 years of age.
    I believe that i will go with the Avast setup up, with the back up float safety shutoff, and the digital output option (two wire connection) tied to an Apex BOB that i must purchase, and control the ATO pump with a second Energy Bar 8 that I must purchase, Avast setup=$104 / Apex BOB=$40 / Apex Energy Bar 8=$150 / I think i have a 120 VAC pump that i can use. Bottom line - another 3 balloons into the tank set up. LOL. At least i will have future spare Energy Bar Outlets, and future spare BOB inputs. Thank you all for your time and input. Please feel free in giving me your opinion on the route that i am taking.
    Thanks again.
    Mike
    You are going the best route IMHO . That is the exact route i went with my Reef Genesis Storm system , and planning a few change now i will keep this route but replace the Reef Genesis system with my Apex for 100% integration.

Alain

Thank you Alain.

New User
    Tunze 3155 Osmolator

Regular Vistor
    I too will also recommend the Avast. I have mine for over a year and have had no issues. I have the one that is controlled by my Apex. I use an aqua lifter pump. Works great.
    Milton

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Milton. I love mine too. The one thing I would say though is that regardless of the type and pump the apex programming should include time statements and I have learned that having a float switch that tells me DT level and topoff water level will give you added piece of mind.