Thread: Tunze battery backup - questions

Frequent Visitor

Tunze battery backup - questions

Hello all. I have a couple Tunze pumps in my tank and would like to get some sort of battery backup for the pumps. I don't like the Tunze solution, the safety connector, as it requires me to get my own charger and battery and I just want something a bit cleaner. I am planning on getting a UPS battery backup to plug the two pumps in. Along these lines, I was thinking it would be nice to also plug the Apex into the battery backup and add programming that if power is lost to the EB, to lower the speed of the Tunze pump. I think I should be able to plug the UPS into the EB and check for power loss this way. Then I would plug the 2 Tunze pumps and the Apex power supply into the UPS to provide power in an outage. Is my thinking correct with this? Are there better ways to do this?

Also - if anyone has a suggestion on a battery backup, I'm open to ideas

Bob

Everything you need to know is right here:
    http://forum.neptunesystems.com/atta...2&d=1381707379
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    That's great! Answers many of my questions, and I can pretty easily do the "Ultimate" scenario described on this. Couple questions:
    1. Why is Aux power needed for the Apex (plugged into the same circuit as the UPS) if an EBx is plugged into the UPS? Wouldn't the Apex draw power from the UPS-powered EBx? Or, is this so the Apex can see power is lost through the Aux power but still getting it through the EBx?
    2. What do the programming statements look like to change outlet settings if power is lost?

Also - are there any other cool presentations like this? It would be great if this stuff could all be aggregated somewhere (if it already isn't). Thanks!

Bob

Tunze battery backup - questions

In the Ultimate scenario, the 12v adapter is not being used for backup/alternate power to the Apex - it is being used to sense if normal mains power is available and therefore determine if the UPS is on battery power. That info is then used to selectively shut down devices on the EB being supplied power via UPS. This stretches out the UPS runtime by only running critical devices.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Power Monitor must be enabled in this case. The If Power Apex statement is then used to see if the wall-wart has power or not.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Awesome - time to pick out a UPS and order a wall-wart! Thanks for the help,

Bob

A key point here is that the UPS must be big enough to supply (on a pass-through basis) enough power to handle EVERYTHING which is plugged into the UPS-backed EB under normal conditions.

Frequent Visitor
    Ahhh - I didn't realize that. So if I have, say 800 watts on the EB8, I need to have a UPS that handles 800W output power capacity, even though I will only be using ~10-20 watts when the power is lost (power for the apex and 2 Tunze pumps at the lowest setting).

What would happen if I got a UPS that handles 900 watts, and at some point had 1200 watts going through the UPS? There seem to be a number of 1500VA/900W options that are around $150, but not many options above this without getting crazy expensive.

Bob

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    only put the essential equipment on the ups i have 3 eb8s and only one is on the ups which has the return pumps and circulation pump. heaters will kill the battery very fast

Frequent Visitor
    jrl - to clarify, I want to follow the steps in the provided presentation, which says to put the whole EBx on a UPS. However, you can use "If Power Apex" statements to turn off power to certain devices when power is lost. Therefore, I will plug in an EB8 to the UPS and have 1 250W MH, 1 250W heater, and other smaller devices that will be turned off if power is lost. I will, however, keep my Tunze pumps powered by the UPS. In fact, I don't think the Tunze even needs to be plugged into the EBx, I can just plug it into the UPS directly and save the EBx port. So, even though many power hungry devices will be in the EB8 plugged into the UPS, they should not drain the battery since they will be turned off (unless my understanding of how this works is incorrect).

Bob

So, even though many power hungry devices will be in the EB8 plugged into the UPS, they should not drain the battery since they will be turned off (unless my understanding of how this works is incorrect)
    This depends on (and to Russ's point) what kind of UPS you get. Most small UPS's operate in a standby capacity where utility power goes into the UPS and straight out the back to the load. During a power failure, circuitry in the UPS switches from utility to battery to supply the load. This happens in milliseconds and the connected equipment typically never notices the switch over.

As you get larger UPS capacities this doesn't work and the UPS is in an active or online mode. Here, utility power goes to the battery which then gets inverted to AC and goes to load. In those cases, the UPS is constantly supplying the load - there essentially is no switch over time. So you have to size the UPS for the load not just what you're going to run if on battery.

One final point is that even with the first type you have to be careful that you don't dramatically exceed the load capacity of the UPS. When power fails it will take the Apex a couple of seconds to sense it and to shut off selected outlets. During this couple of seconds the load on the UPS could exceed the UPS's capacity and cause the UPS to trip a breaker effectively rendering your UPS useless.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

Frequent Visitor
    This makes sense - thanks for the details to everyone. I think I will go with a 1500VA/900W UPS, which I don't expect to exceed that load with all of the devices on the EB8. The high watt devices are the heater and 1 250W MH bulb, which should be no more than ~550W. I will make sure the other devices go no higher than 900W. This is another case where I wish we could do programming statements on the EB8 based on the amps used. For example, have the Apex email alarm trigger if the amps every exceed the equivalent of 900W.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Bob

Frequent Visitor
    Might be a silly question, but does it matter if is it a "Stepped Approximation to Sine Wave" or a true Sine Wave output? The unit I am looking at, http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU, has the stepped approximation to a sine wave, and I saw some people in the comments have some issues with this on some devices. Not sure if the EB will care or not, but figure it's best to ask before purchasing.

Bob

For heaters and things with AC->DC power supply (such as Vortechs, Tunze controllable pumps), it doesn't matter much. Where it does matter is with pumps with AC motors, which tend to run hot and inefficiently with UPS output waveforms other than pure sine wave.

Frequent Visitor
    Glad I've been checking in here, since I do have some equipment that have standard AC motors (skimmer, Dart pump). With the requirements of 1500VA/900W and pure sine wave, it seems like this might be my best bet: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1.../dp/B00429N19W. Alternatively, I could go with a stepped sine wave and only use that EB for things like heaters and Tunze pumps, but this seems like a bit of a waste (especially since I don't even need an EB for my Tunze pumps).

Is there anything else I am missing? Again, thanks for the help.

Bob

Frequent Visitor
    Actually - to clarify on my prior question, is the stepped sign wave only used when the UPS is on battery power? If so, I don't suspect this will matter, since I plan to turn off everything except the Apex and Tunze devices. I don't suspect that the second or so the other devices receive power from the UPS will cause long-term problems, especially since I have maybe a handful or power issues per year.

Sorry for all the questions - this topic is much more complicated than I expected it would be!

Bob

That UPS is 'line interactive' which is the first example I gave in post #11 - it's passing AC current straight through (filtered) when not on battery and that UPS seems to be a pure sine wave and not a stepped sine wave anyway.

Here's a good white paper from APC that might give you some more information on all this gibberish:
    http://www.apcdistributors.com/white...%20designs.pdf
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    Al - the first one I linked in post #13 was an APC unit that has a stepped sine wave (for some reason the link is not showing as a clickable link). The second unit linked in post #15 from CyberPower is a sine wave unit, though about $35 more expensive. Thanks for the whitepaper, I've been learning a lot more than I expected about UPS's today!

Bob

OP, FWIW, a couple thoughts. I went through the same sort of decision process in my build late last year and early this that you are with UPSs, use of Tunze Safety Connectors, what I could and could not do with my Apex and that combination of pumps, etc...

• I ended up spending the extra few bucks on the sine wave version of my Cyberpower UPS, even though I don't really need it. I found it on an Amazon sale last Christmas Holiday and ended up paying $10 more for that than the none-sine-wave version, and figured if I'm spending that amount of money already, why not keep my options open for just another few bucks.
    • Be sure you not only consider total wattage your UPS can handle at any single point in time, but RUN TIME of whatever you need to keep running via UPS when power is out. Run Time is a whole other decision point that can drive sizing of your UPS.
    • Youll find over on RC in the Tunze subforum, a thread I started several months ago with Roger, and ended up documenting results of my and another guy's physical tests with the safety connector, and how it does and does not operate with the Apex. Part of the net of that is if you used a safety connector with a battery, vs a UPS that has to convert power back and forth, you could have a lot longer run time... You need to understand that point very clearly if you don't. UPS are simple to implement, but you loose huge amounts of run time for DC powered devices like Tunze Powerheads when the power has to be converted the way it is via off-the-shelf UPSs.
    • Also recognize that if some odd thing occurs where your EB driving your Tunze Powerheads via UPS loose communication to the Apex, those Powerheads will immediately go to 100% steady state no matter if they are being driven by the Controller or a VDM (same thing happens if you pull the control Cat5 cable out from the Apex or VDM)... i.e. If you have big Powerheads, you could blow the dickens out of your tank. OTOH, with the more recent Apex firmware updates to the Fallback statement, if you have an EcoTech MPw, it will follow your designated programming in the same scenario. It seems like a simple or perhaps insignificant thing, but it could mean a lot depending on where Powerheads are directed, your aquascape, and such when power is lost to different combination of devices. (As much as I prefer my Tunze Powerheads, it is that little point that drove me to place a MP into my mix... Only for the fallback capability it provides.)

Good luck with your design in what I consider the most complicated part of my tank build -- beyond plumbing! ;-)
    Bert

Frequent Visitor
    Bert,

You da man! Thanks for all of the information, I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter. I have previously used the Tunze Safety Connector since January 2008, right after they first came out. Over the years I had to replace the battery charger once and the battery once. The final issue was the safety connector got wet, corroded, and fried the battery and charger and took out both circuits on my tank while I was in Texas on vacation, causing my tank to crash and not recover (this happened sometime last year). As a result of this, I want something a bit simpler and self-contained, as opposed to the Tunze solution. Also, this crash is what led me to rebuild with Apex and get rid of my DA controller. I know that the Safety Connector has quite good run time and that a UPS will be significantly less, but I don't deal with significant power outages where I live.

I appreciate all of the help from everyone - I've learned a lot in this thread!

EDIT: Corrected "friend" to "fried"

Bob

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post

• Youll find over on RC in the Tunze subforum, a thread I started several months ago with Roger, and ended up documenting results of my and another guy's physical tests with the safety connector, and how it does and does not operate with the Apex. Part of the net of that is if you used a safety connector with a battery, vs a UPS that has to convert power back and forth, you could have a lot longer run time... You need to understand that point very clearly if you don't. UPS are simple to implement, but you loose huge amounts of run time for DC powered devices like Tunze Powerheads when the power has to be converted the way it is via off-the-shelf UPSs.

BertL: Are the losses really that huge with UPS and Tunze DC pump compared to Tunze DC pump direct on batteri? In an other thread recently it's stated that the efficiency of an UPS typically is 90-95%. Not that huge! I'm a little confused by what I read about runtimes of UPS's. I've ordered a Cyberpower pr1500LCD and with 34 Ah it should be able to power the base unit , the router and a Tunze streamer for many hours. At least that is what I'm hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikD View Post
    BertL: Are the losses really that huge with UPS and Tunze DC pump compared to Tunze DC pump direct on batteri? In an other thread recently it's stated that the efficiency of an UPS typically is 90-95%. Not that huge! I'm a little confused by what I read about runtimes of UPS's. I've ordered a Cyberpower pr1500LCD and with 34 Ah it should be able to power the base unit , the router and a Tunze streamer for many hours. At least that is what I'm hoping.
    I won't debate the point, but will defer to mathematicians and engineers out here, as it's been too long since my high school physics and college math classes. It's a physics thing that there will be energy loss when converting AC to be stored in a battery, then when it's converted back to DC for use -- rather than if one could store the energy directly in the battery and let DC devices use it without a second conversion. As to if the loss is more than one can accept, we each have to make that decision. You'll find people that are very happy using their DIY "car battery setups" as part of their power backup solutions. That wasn't for me, hence why I went with the largest off-the-shelf UPS I could fit within my setup.

All that being said, while my tank was cycling, the physical test I tried with a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD connected to a EB4 with a single Tunze 6105 via VDM and my Apex, ran in excess of 20 hours when I shut down the test as it had proven what I was after at that point. Sorry, but I forget what the UPS said it still had as power remaining when I pulled the plug on my test the next morning, but in my head to this day, the solution provided "24+ hours" of flow and my ability to communicate with my Apex during an elongated power outage. (FWIW, my Apex system was much larger so had a little more draw than just the single EB4 and a VDM, with more than a dozen modules including 3 more EB8s, and I had my programming set that it turned ancillary devices like my AFS off during a power failure with exception of that single Turbelle and it's VDM to preserve as much power as possible. My Apex was hardwired back to my office where my router is powered by an independent UPS.)

That solution would have worked just fine, but as stated in previous posts, after that test, I redid things to give me, IMHO, even more flexibility with the CP1500 UPS typically powering only my Apex and it's modules during a power-outage. (For context, I was having occasional firmware problems with the Apex freezing and loss of communication at that point-in-time even when there was power, so "what happens if I loose my Apex itself when I'm not home" became as an important a consideration for me, as what to do if all the power went out. Fortunately today, Neptune has resolved those firmware lock-up and inability to auto-reboot problems that some of us were having, so it's not as big of a consideration with the Apex now being more bullet-proof once again.) Anyway, I incrementally installed a MP40 with dedicated battery backup, and it was that flow I had my tank depend upon during a power-outage as Fallback statements and profiles allowed me to put the MP40 into a slower and more appropriate tank flow pattern for my situation (that would go into effect even if the MP40 lost communication with the Apex -- which isn't possible with Turbelle's). Since I would then have well-more-than-a-day access to my Apex with that big UPS powering only it and the Aquabus, I could in theory manually turn on one of my 6105s that was plugged into the EB4 also powered by the CP1500 if I needed to for some reason. I spent a lot of time thinking through various scenarios and placing dual devices on separate EBs, circuits, etc for maximum flexibility. Fortunately, I never had to use any of it in a real power outage situation of any significance. My choices could be debated, I know. There are many alternatives with what seems like a never-ending set of pros and cons.

Good luck with your project.
    Bert

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Bert! I appreciate your UPS story!