Thread: Chiller Question

New User

Chiller Question

I currently have a JBJ Artica 1/15hp chiller that has it's own electronic thermostat. I think the majority of JBJ Artica chillers use the same electronic thermostat. I control the temp settings on the chiller's thermostat.

Question is how do I control the chiller to turn off/on by using the apex if it's being controlled by its own thermostat?

Regular Vistor
    Setup your outlet to your desired temp, then set the controller on the chiller one or two degrees colder that you want the tank to be. This way the Apex is controlling the chiller but in the event that the Apex fails to turn off your chiller it will only drop the temp that extra 1-2 degrees

X2. The chiller's t-stat winds up being the safety and the Apex with its temp probe is the primary control.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Regular Vistor
    Similarly I have a chiller with a built in thermostat, but it also has a built in heater. I can't for the life of me figure this one out. I'm thinking that a virtual outlet coupled with the real outlet might be the key, but I'm concerned with the two fighting over control. I would like the chiller/heater outlet to turn on if the temperature is below 76 or above 78. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAbo View Post
    I would like the chiller/heater outlet to turn on if the temperature is below 76 or above 78. Thanks in advance.
    No virtual outlet is needed. Just program the real outlet like this:

Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Temp < 76.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 78.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 72.0 Then OFF
    If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF

The last 2 lines are fail-safes in the event that the temp probe fails and reads very high or very low.

But I don't like the approach. Instead, I would let the unit's built-in controller be the primary means of temp control, and utilize the Apex as a safety measure to shut off the unit and also email you if the temperature is out of the normal range.

[Chiller]
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Temp < 75.5 Then OFF
    If Temp > 89.5 Then OFF

[EmailAlarm]
    Set OFF
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 79.0 Then ON
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    No virtual outlet is needed. Just program the real outlet like this:

Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Temp < 76.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 78.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 72.0 Then OFF
    If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF

The last 2 lines are fail-safes in the event that the temp probe fails and reads very high or very low.

But I don't like the approach. Instead, I would let the unit's built-in controller be the primary means of temp control, and utilize the Apex as a safety measure to shut off the unit and also email you if the temperature is out of the normal range.

[Chiller]
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Temp < 75.5 Then OFF
    If Temp > 89.5 Then OFF

[EmailAlarm]
    Set OFF
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 79.0 Then ON
    Excellent, thank you. I'll give that a shot.
    One would think, "Why have the Apex control the chiller at all if it has a built in thermometer?"
    The reason is that this thing is a huge energy hog. I can keep my whole house cooled with the central air for less money than having this run all the time. The range on this unit is only ~2 degrees, so it's constantly turning on. I have a fan that blows across the sump to lower temperatures somewhat, and I want the chiller to turn on if it gets too warm. Make sense? Believe it or not, this saves a lot of money, sometimes as much as $100/mo. on electricity.
    Thanks again for your help and quick response!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAbo View Post
    Excellent, thank you. I'll give that a shot.
    One would think, "Why have the Apex control the chiller at all if it has a built in thermometer?"
    The reason is that this thing is a huge energy hog. I can keep my whole house cooled with the central air for less money than having this run all the time. The range on this unit is only ~2 degrees, so it's constantly turning on. I have a fan that blows across the sump to lower temperatures somewhat, and I want the chiller to turn on if it gets too warm. Make sense? Believe it or not, this saves a lot of money, sometimes as much as $100/mo. on electricity.
    Thanks again for your help and quick response!

I came ake accross this old thread, and wondered if there is anyone else with a Teco type Chiller.

And you are right, one could actually turn off the chiller and pump if they are not needed , my only concern would be "what would the effect be of the constant on off for the chiller?

Frequent Visitor
    Russ, any tips on how we could setup the profile to control the chiller, I used the sample you put up earlier. However what I think is going to happen is that as soon as the temp drops below the threshold the apex will turn the chiller off. Even though the chiller would normally run until it drops to below the correct temp.

On my chiller, I have it configured to maintain temp at 25, with a temp variance of 1 either way, meaning it will turn on at 24 and 26 respectively and run until it gets to 25.

Now, if I set the apex to turn the chiller on when the temp is over 26, or lower than 24. That will work. But it will turn it on, then the temp will be lowered to 25.9. And the apex will shut the chiller off(midway though the cooling process)

Ideally the profile should stay on while the chiller finishes its normal cycle.

You would just remove the 'Set OFF' statement. If you do that the temp will float between the low and high values. With the Set OFF the temp will hover right at one value.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

Frequent Visitor

Chiller Question

So I have the program set like this, actually I have the pump set and the chiller attached to the pump

(Still want to add some ra dome purging in to ensure no stagnant water)

[ ChillerPump ] ( 3_1 )
    Program Type: Advanced
    Display Icon: Light A
    Program:
    Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Temp < 24.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 26.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 23.8 Then OFF
    If Temp > 26.5 Then OFF
    Defer 010:00 Then OFF

What you're saying is remove the set off?
    Won't this cause it to stay on forever?

Your program is wrong. You want to turn the chiller outlet OFF when the temp drops below 24.0.

Fallback ON
    If Temp < 24.0 Then OFF
    If Temp > 26.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 23.8 Then OFF
    If Temp > 26.5 Then OFF
    Defer 010:00 Then OFF

Also, I'd make those safety shut-off's a little lower/higher unless you're confident your chiller is strong enough that if it turns ON at 26.0 that it will hold the temp at that point and not let it get above 26.5. Feels kind of close to me but that's your call. Those safeties are only for if the temp probe fails which (in F) would be either 20 or 120 - you don't want your heater or chiller running wild just because the temp probe failed. On the same line, if your chiller/heater has it's own internal t-stat, set that a couple degrees higher/lower than your set points to act as a safety also.

Finally, this is a program not a profile. A profile is a very different object in the Neptune language. You might confuse people when referring to it as a profile.
    Al

Frequent Visitor
    Lol, what a silly mistake thanks for the heads up I'll test in the morning

Actually, looking back that wont work.

My chiller is a heater/chiller combo which means that program will only work when for chilling.

Frequent Visitor
    I apologize if I'm hijacking your thread but I thought I could ask my question here. I was given a Current USA 1/3 HP Prime Inline Modular Aquarium Chiller Model 2606. It has no controller with it and the chiller has been discontinued and I can't find parts for it. I was wondering if I could just have my apex control it. I'm trying to figure out if I can even use it. It runs fine. If so, I would think I can just set the outlet to my desired Temps, am I wrong?

Yes. Just make sure its plugged into a relay outlet (4 or 8) or it can damage the triac if/when it stalls.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, I got this thing plumbed to my tank now. I have no controller with it, just controlling via the apex. I have it plugged into my EB8 in outlet 8. This is the code that I'm running. It keeps shutting off at 78. I want to keep it 78.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If MTemp < 77.5 Then OFF
    If MTemp > 78.0 Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    If FeedC 000 Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Remove the Set OFF

Frequent Visitor
    Ok. Thanks, working properly now.

Frequent Visitor
    I was looking at aquamaniacs sticky and it says chiller should be Fallback ON. Would I want this or not, not having a controller on my chiller, just the apex outlet.

It should be fallback on ONLY if the chiller has its own thermostat that will allow the temp to get no more than 1 degree below your low setpoint.

If your chiller doesn't have its own t-stat then you want FALLBACK OFF.
    Al

New User
    Hi! New to Apex here. i just got my EL hooked up and running. question, i have a Current Prime 1/15 HP chiller with its own electronic thermostat, i would like this chiller to be controlled by my EL (also have the chiller pump connected currently with the chiller output), is that possible? How? will it not destroy the chiller's electronic thermostat? i want my tank to be at 78, i also have a heater connected to EL. would appreciate any help.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by nurse.reef.repeat View Post
    Hi! New to Apex here. i just got my EL hooked up and running. question, i have a Current Prime 1/15 HP chiller with its own electronic thermostat, i would like this chiller to be controlled by my EL (also have the chiller pump connected currently with the chiller output), is that possible? How? will it not destroy the chiller's electronic thermostat? i want my tank to be at 78, i also have a heater connected to EL. would appreciate any help.
    I'd suggest reviewing this entire thread first, but this should work for you:

Fallback OFF
    If MTemp < 77.5 Then OFF
    If MTemp > 78.0 Then ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    If FeedC 000 Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

If you chiller has a mechanical power switch on the back (usually near the power cord, but could be anywhere), then you want to make sure that switch stays in the ON position after you plug it into your Apex. The Apex will then control the on/off when your temp probe measures temperatures at the values given in the code above, regardless of the internal thermostat in the chiller. This won't harm your chiller. In fact, most power switches work the same way. Turning them off is like pulling the power cord, with the exception that the Apex has protected plugs that make the On/Off operation less drastic to whatever is plugged in to them.

Hope this helps, and congratulations! You're going to love your Apex.