Thread: Programming koralia powerheads

Regular Vistor

Programming koralia powerheads

I'm new to the apex unit. I just purchased the apex lite with a ph probe. Need some help on where to actually plug my koralias in on the eb8 I heard sometimes they don't work well with the apex. I have one 1400 gph koralia that I want to be on for 15 seconds then off for a minute and a half then repeat itself, how would I do that. I also have a 600 gph just blowing on my sps. I want it to be on for 2 seconds and off for 2 seconds then repeat constantly. Please any info would be helpful. Thanks

Please provide the specific models so we can better advise.

Regular Vistor
    Hydor Koralia evolution 1050 (my mistake 1050 GPH not 1400GPH) and Hydor Koralia evolution 550.

Thanks... that helps

The 550 is definitely going to need to be plugged into outlet 4 or 8 o a EB8 (or any outlet of an EB4)

The 1050 is going to be hit or miss.... try it on a TRIAC outlet (EB8 #1-3 or 5-7)n and manically turn that outlet on and off slowly - at least a dozen times. If it always shuts off properly, then you're OK. If it fails to turn OFF even once, it'll need to go on #4 or #8

Regular Vistor
    ok i kinda figured that might happen. Wont the constant turning on and off of the pumps cause those outlets to burn out quick?

Frequent Visitor
    The outlets will last longer than the Koralias.

But seriously... even though the new Koralias are advertised to be OK for "wavemaker" situations, they really can't handle the constant on/off cycles. You'll be contacting Hydor for warranty replacement parts in short order if you run them on a quick on/off cycle. I think you're going to find the 2 second cycle is just too fast. It takes a few seconds for the things to get spinning in the right direction (if they do at all), and I doubt 2 seconds is going to be long enough. I wouldn't even think about anything less than 10-15 seconds. Even with that, I think you'll find the noise is somewhat annoying.

Sorry to be down on Koralias, but I've had two of them try and kill my tank. I'm not a fanboi of them.

Good point kurt... I totally missed that 2-second thing.

Saltfishguy, I have no firsthand experience with the Evos, but based on the reports I've seen from others, you'll not be happy with operating them like that for the reasons kurt outlined.

Frequent Visitor
    Saltfishguy... sorry, in my quickness to vent about Koralias, I never answered your actual question!

The command you want is the OSC (oscillate) command. For a 2 second on, 2 second off, 2 second on, etc... cycle, it would be:

OSC 000:00/000:02/000:02 then ON

For the other example (15 sec on, 90 sec off):

OSC 000:00/000:15/001:30 then ON

I'm 99% sure those are correct. Page 51 in the manual discusses the OSC command.

Regular Vistor
    Wow I am seeing a lot of hate from people with the Koralias, lol. I know the koralias are no where near the quality of the MP's (which I intend on purchasing when i have more $$$) but I have used koralias for years with no issues. I have the above koralias on a very similar time schedule with my current wavemaker with no issues. The only issue is the larger 1150 you can here it click on and off only occassionaly, other times its quiet. If i can get these to last me another year i am sure by then i will have more $ to invest in the mp's. Kurt i appreciate the profile set up, i will try it out!!!

NSI Member
    I agree with the recommendation to run the cycle longer than 2 seconds. I have 3 Evo 1400's and run the m 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. They are over a year old and I have only had minor problems with them. I had one shaft develop a crack and swell to the point it would not spin. The biggest problem has been that they like to break off the little rubber bumper that makes sure they spin the correct direction. I have gone through at least 6 front grills. Hydor so far has replaced everything at no charge.

Regular Vistor
    Nicholb, which outlet do you plug your evo's into on the eb8?

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfishguy18 View Post
    Nicholb, which outlet do you plug your evo's into on the eb8?
    I have them on outlets 3, 6, and 7 of an EB8.