Thread: Love everything about the pump, but the pump itself

New User

Love everything about the pump, but the pump itself

Hi Guys, was really excited to get the DOS system, I ended up getting 2 units and everything seemed amazing, loved the interface, loved the look of the pump, loved how easy it was to set up.. then I had it run... it randomly looses siphon and drains all the way back into the container and spends a day catching up not dosing anything. I expected a lot more for $175 per pump. Even the Aqua Medic Reefdoser I used when I first started held a siphon... and here the DOS unit can't hold a siphon on any of my 4 heads???

Make sure the tubing is seated ALL THE WAY UP (its gonna take some force and you may need to heat the tubing with a hairdryer) and that the compression fittings are very tight. I would assume this is user error as the chance of 4 heads not holding siphon is incredibly low (like one in 100,000,000 probability)

New User
    They are all the way into position, the siphon is only lost when the pump rotates into a specific position. I've been able to consistantly replicate the issue on all the pump heads. I'm gonna just return these I think and pick up a reliable dosing pump.

Contact support.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Hasn't anyone thought of using check valves?
    I understand for the people who are using the Dos to pump water in and out with one pump head, this would not apply. But for many who are using it for the one direction, this is an easy solution.
    In every other dosing unit I've used, normally they run one direction and check valves are always used as a precautionary to prevent back siphoning.
    I'm just saying, its a simple $10 fix, yet back siphoning seems to be a consistent issues with many.

Although they should not be necessary for a perastilic pump (Im sure neptune engineering will be on top of this), using check valves on both sides of DOS would be a very simple, reliable, and cheap fix. That method would only be effective if the dos is at a higher level than the reservoir and the output of the tubing is at a higher level than the DOS.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Geokiris View Post
    Hasn't anyone thought of using check valves?
    I understand for the people who are using the Dos to pump water in and out with one pump head, this would not apply. But for many who are using it for the one direction, this is an easy solution.
    In every other dosing unit I've used, normally they run one direction and check valves are always used as a precautionary to prevent back siphoning.
    I'm just saying, its a simple $10 fix, yet back siphoning seems to be a consistent issues with many.
    It's not that I haven't thought about them, I even have them... but why should I have to use them on a pump that is twice as expensive as other pumps that don't need them?

Frequent Visitor
    I agree.

Frequent Visitor riverchemistry's Avatar
    I had a siphon issue before. make sure you're tightening those plastic compression fitting is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyfett View Post
    It's not that I haven't thought about them, I even have them... but why should I have to use them on a pump that is twice as expensive as other pumps that don't need them?
    You shouldnt have to. Just a temporary fix that would let you continue using the features you like and fix the issue you dont like until neptune has a fullproof fix for the issue.