Thread: ATO Float switch program

Regular Vistor

ATO Float switch program

Hello,

I would like someone to review the program below. The switch was working fine until recently but the last two days, it doesnt.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 01:00 to 01:01 Then ON
    If Outlet NeedWater = OFF Then OFF

Needwater:
    If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF
    Defer 001:00 Then ON

I want the ATO pump to activate for 1 minute at 1 am, but if the float switch is off (i.e if the water is at level in the sump), I dont want the pump to start. Right now, the switch is showing OFF even though the water is low in the sump. The switch is mounted in its normal configuration like this:

2015-02-28 09_32_25-My Drive - Google Drive.png

so, what am i doing wrong? This was working fine until two days ago. That is, it kept the water level in the sump for a while.

Lift the float up for 30 seconds. Does it then show as OPEN on the dashboard?
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Regular Vistor
    Yes, it is still in open position after I immersed the float all the way in the water.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Can you post the programming in the need water Outlet. Also just for fun try changing the name of you switch to something more meaningful besides SW1. I don't know why but I have experienced and also seen that occasionally this makes a difference. As long as your switch is still functioning correctly.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Needwater code is here once again:

If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF

I do programming for a living and just fail to understand how changing the label of a piece of code would make any difference. But I don't mind trying. Aren't these names assigned automatically? Where exactly should I change it?

Sorry I didn't see it in the first post. I can't multi-task I guess.
    Classic Web page go to probe/input menu. There you will find the switches in the drop down menu. Just for fun call it something like SumpLo etc. Update then go to the outlets and make sure the name changed in the outlets as well to your new switch name. This will happen automatically.
    Chad

Assuming that the switch is showing closed now, I can almost guarantee you that the problem is that two minutes isnt long enough to replace evaporated water. It might have worked fine for a while and then slowly dropped in level because of pump aging and or debris/calcification/algae in tubing that caused less water to be delivered in the maximum 2 minute window. Without knowing the specifics of evaporaton rate and pump size, I dont know what the ideal number should be.

Quote Originally Posted by arvind View Post
    Needwater code is here once again:

If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF

I do programming for a living and just fail to understand how changing the label of a piece of code would make any difference. But I don't mind trying. Aren't these names assigned automatically? Where exactly should I change it?
    Changing the label wont change how it works, it will just describe the switch better. If you only have one or two things in a BOB, its pretty obvious what is what, but once you have 6 things plugged in, it can get confusing without meaningful names.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Sorry I didn't see it in the first post. I can't multi-task I guess.
    Classic Web page go to probe/input menu. There you will find the switches in the drop down menu. Just for fun call it something like SumpLo etc. Update then go to the outlets and make sure the name changed in the outlets as well to your new switch name. This will happen automatically.
    got it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Changing the label wont change how it works, it will just describe the switch better. If you only have one or two things in a BOB, its pretty obvious what is what, but once you have 6 things plugged in, it can get confusing without meaningful names.
    Zombie, trust me you are da man! Not disagreeing with you at all but I have seen this behavior on my own system and in have made that suggestion before and for some reason the outlet with the new switch name started working. I am not a computer guy so I sure can't explain it I have maybe been lucky. Also maybe the switches were mixed up by me or the other owners apex owner in that post. I was also under the assumption the switch wasn't showing a change etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arvind View Post
    got it, thanks.
    is it working now?
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Assuming that the switch is showing closed now, I can almost guarantee you that the problem is that two minutes isnt long enough to replace evaporated water. It might have worked fine for a while and then slowly dropped in level because of pump aging and or debris/calcification/algae in tubing that caused less water to be delivered in the maximum 2 minute window. Without knowing the specifics of evaporaton rate and pump size, I dont know what the ideal number should be.
    Here is an update: I removed the float switch from the water. i.e. the float is down. The dashboard is showing Sw1 is Open.

Then I immersed the float switch in the water all the way. This means the float is lifted up. It is still in that position. The Sw1 is still showing Open. I am not really sure what is happening now. Either the float switch is no longer working or the breakout box is broken. How do I narrow it down?

It is not a 2 minute window, but it is actually set to run for 1 minute. Regarding your comment on the water volume used for top off, I am using a Mag 7 pump for this. It gives roughly 6 gallons in a minute which is plenty. My rough estimate is if it runs for 30 seconds, it should be good enough. However I setup to run for 1 minute and then use the float switch to cut it off once the sump is at level.

You can test if the breakout box is fine by taking a scrap piece of wire and connect it between I1 and GND. If it shows closed, then the BOB is functioning properly. If you have a multimeter, you can check the float by setting it to check continuity and put one lead on each wire. If it beeps when the float is down and stops beeping when the float is up, then the float is good.

If youre using a mag 7, then the two minute window is plenty (it is in fact a 2 minute window as 01:00 to 01:01 is actually 01:00:00 to 01:01:59)

Regular Vistor
    You can test if the breakout box is fine by taking a scrap piece of wire and connect it between I1 and GND. If it shows closed, then the BOB is functioning properly. If you have a multimeter, you can check the float by setting it to check continuity and put one lead on each wire. If it beeps when the float is down and stops beeping when the float is up, then the float is good.

If youre using a mag 7, then the two minute window is plenty (it is in fact a 2 minute window as 01:00 to 01:01 is actually 01:00:00 to 01:01:59)
    Gotcha, thanks. Let me try and test the BOB and post back here.

Regular Vistor
    I connected one of the switches with ground and it showed closed. Now taking it out and putting back together the original switch is also showing closed. Remember last time the status was showing open both while the float sensor immersed in the water or outside the water. Not sure what to make of it. Any ideas?

Either your connection to the BOB was loose, or you have a finiky float.

Regular Vistor
    thanks. I guess I have to look into a better/reliable ATO. thank you for your response.

Just get madison float switches. If you use those (or similar industrial grade) and code the apex right, it makes a better ATO than anything on the market.

Regular Vistor
    alright let me try that.