Thread: Development of Android app

Frequent Visitor

Development of Android app

Hi guys,

Is there a reason you don't update the Android app? It's from 2013 and may need some serious updating.

More stable on Android 5 for example and the design could be update too to Material Design.

Any thoughts?

Fusion is device independent and browser based. That's the future vs. dedicated apps. It's doubtful there would be any more development on Android or iOS apps unless some OS change demanded it. I don't have any particular insight into Neptune's development plans but it would make sense to put all your effort in Fusion.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    The Future, well yes and no.

The main backside of a HTML5 - Browser based solution is that you have much less freedom in creating realtime notifications. Something which a dedicated app can do.

But maybe Neptune can think of a in-between solution to use 'Notify my Android' API, that is an app that can be used to give you realtime notifications fired by an API call.

There is the source for the Android App but I would not officially mess with it without Neptune Systems 'blessing'. I would not want to get sued... I do wish they would update it though. Perhaps they would let us submit changes for their official releases...

Frequent Visitor
    Well I think it is either update it or remove it from the Play Store, because the app now doesn't make any sense IMHO.

Frequent Visitor
    And widgets for Apex would BTW be awesome too. Having your critical information of your tank on your homescreen for example is pretty cool (temperature, salt, pH, name it...)

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    Well I think it is either update it or remove it from the Play Store, because the app now doesn't make any sense IMHO.
    I still use mine all the time when Im home. It is the fastest way to change outlet states for maintainance, start feed timers, quick code change, etc.

Yes I use it all the time. Just want to improve it and make it more stable.

Regular Vistor
    I think a app would be nice but connect it to the Fusion cloud and not the Apex directly. You may have a 1-5min delay in notifications depending on how the push/pull is configured.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    But maybe Neptune can think of a in-between solution to use 'Notify my Android' API, that is an app that can be used to give you realtime notifications fired by an API call.
    I'm right with you on that! I like the HTML5 because it is platform-agnostic. But as you mentioned, HTML5 does leave something to be desired with interactivity. I would LOVE to see If This Then That (IFTTT) be able to make bidirectional API calls against Fusion. I tend to think that's the right approach for any "cloud-based" service to take, unless there's a very specific reason to keep all the notifications in-house. Then Neptune Systems really wouldn't have to worry about supporting any future changes to notifications, etc... on any platform. IFTTT could be configured by the end user to notify any combination of devices/services (e.g. Pushbullet). In reverse, their "DO" button could easily be setup to be a super-fast way to enter feed mode (as a simple example).

My iMac is setup as a home automation controller using Indigo, and Indigo has fairly robust plug-in support. Could really get interesting to build a plugin for Indigo to take advantage of a Fusion API, too.

Regular Vistor
    With home automation starting to really take off, I would think that IFTTT should be a major priority for Neptune to implement. Just makes sense.