Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My calcium reactor setting getting crazy

My calcium reactor setting getting crazy

Yah , I suspect without any doubt that this is the culprit . By the way , a brushless DC peristaltic pump like master flex way to high for me to invest at this moment , I wonder what brand you use and if it is what price range ?

I also have observed that since I follow your suggested setting still my ph in calcium reactor plays between 7 and not any sign of lowering inspect the doser continue running so I adjusted the secondary pressure valve of my co2 and now the Ph in the reactor is lowering and in counting . Perhaps my co2 tank's pressure change along the outside temperature . The last adjustment I made with outside temperature of 17 degree centigrade but now here in Taiwan it's getting hot with outside temperature of 27 degree centigrade , so perhaps this pressure is not giving enough co2 to the reactor that is why the ph stay at 7 and never lowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of CO2 doser are you using ? For the pump i am using an APT Instruments model SP 201V1.209 , it was about $ 330.00 at the time of purchase , it is running continuously for over 2 years now non stop 24/7/365 . Except changing the tube as a precaution once a year ( about 5 bucks ) , not a single problem reported . For the co2 i am using an Aquarium Plants electronic doser , this one is also running for 2 years non stop .
    Alain

I am using the same co2 doser like yours. It's a great regulator although I bought with some minor defects ( the gauge of the secondary pressure not able to go zero). I heard a lot in RC is using Masterflex for the peristaltic pump. By the way how much ML / Min you are running now?

Masterflex are very good pump but way too expensive IMHO . I am currently running 45 ml/min effluent flow .
    Alain

Presently my corals consumption on KH / Ca still low , I hope if they starting demanding more or more corals on my tank then perhaps I can run my GEO 618 calcium reactor with continuing flow , then I don't have any problem on the clot issue

If you don't revise the way you intend to control the effluent flow , more flow will simply mean more problems to overcome .
    Alain

I wish to buy a DC pump and I will consider all recommendation although adding about USD 300 to 400 investment will give me a peace of mind at the end. Since I travel a lot so I don't think I will have a lot of time to make adjustment like what I am doing right now and this is really bombarding my head these recently

As you saw in my graph i had to readjust the effluent flow recently as i added many corals all at once , however it's has been many months i did not had to touch that .
    Alain

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by machodik View Post
    I wish to buy a DC pump and I will consider all recommendation although adding about USD 300 to 400 investment will give me a peace of mind at the end. Since I travel a lot so I don't think I will have a lot of time to make adjustment like what I am doing right now and this is really bombarding my head these recently

Alain has helped me with my Ca reactor and I also bought one of the APT DC pump and it was one of the best investments that I have made and I don't have to mess with my Ca reactor unless I add more corals...

I would defiantly save your money and get one.....

IMAG0025.jpg
    Jon

Thanks Alain and Jonmos for your kind suggestions . I am now seriously considering to buy one of those DC pumps , I have located a dealer of Masterflex here in my country , Taiwan but I still have to look APT instruments and may be they have their dealer too , I wonder it is an American Brand?

I have seen some peristaltic pump produced in China and I try avoid China made even it is cheaper because I think accuracy is the name of this investment. Well, never thought that calcium reactor system cause a lot of bucks on my wallet but I agree calcium reactor when it dialed in then it will be something you won't need to maintain so much comparing to 2 part dosing pump .

Back to my apex , yesterday after Alain help me in my setting plus I have slightly adjust my pressure gauge valve of my AP carbon doser regulator I have come up with a firm graph since last night till this moment , i will monitor if this is the right setting for me or I have to reset it as usual of on 7.20 / off 6.90, since I think my co2 never stop supplying that may be increasing my KH later on due to limited consumption of the creature inside my tank .

Here is the graph as promised ;

Thanks Alain and Jonmos for your kind suggestions . I am now seriously considering to buy one of those DC pumps , I have located a dealer of Masterflex here in my country , Taiwan but I still have to look APT instruments and may be they have their dealer too , I wonder it is an American Brand?

I have seen some peristaltic pump produced in China and I try avoid China made even it is cheaper because I think accuracy is the name of this investment. Well, never thought that calcium reactor system cause a lot of bucks on my wallet but I agree calcium reactor when it dialed in then it will be something you won't need to maintain so much comparing to 2 part dosing pump .

Back to my apex , yesterday after Alain help me in my setting plus I have slightly adjust my pressure gauge valve of my AP carbon doser regulator I have come up with a firm graph since last night till this moment , i will monitor if this is the right setting for me or I have to reset it as usual of on 7.20 / off 6.90, since I think my co2 never stop supplying that may be increasing my KH later on due to limited consumption of the creature inside my tank .

Here is the graph as promised ;

Look much better then before , give it another day or two so we could have a good idea about what is going on . Stay put on the calcium reactor setting so i can see a trend and analyze the graph.

http://aptinstruments.com/pdf/SP200VOBLPS.pdf

This is the pump model we are talking about , you can email Larry at APT instruments Larry Van Bogaert : [email protected]
    Last edited by Alain B; 04-05-2015 at 00:35. Reason: addition
    Alain

Thanks again Alain!
    I will recheck KH later if the KH will be staying at 8.2 or going up or down. I doubt of going down trend because the calcium reactor maintain "ON" continuously unlike in the past with my old setting it has some hours "OFF".

Do you think if I have seen the KH getting up should I continue this setting as you mentioned for couple of days ? My tank nutrient is very low that is why I try to maintain low KH between 7.90 to 8.20.

Thanks for the details of APT Instrument, The web you just shown only with module not the whole set as your photos of yesterday ? Do you buy this is separate module and you assemble later when delivered to you?

I will contact Larry and may be he will give me some assistance.

Lastly , is your DC pumps running quietly or loud sounds? I don't have fish room and the whole tanks with the sumps located at our the living room , as you know in Taiwan's houses are way too expensive and normally we live in condo type building.

Cheers

Let the reactor settle first before trying to make any adjustments , you need a graph like i had showed you before , if the co2 doser does not turn OFF-ON in a regular manner it is not set properly and you will need to had more CO2 by increasing the secondary pressure and/or increase the CO2 bubble count by reducing the time interval on the aquarium plant doser . When you have a good graph , the way the increase or reduce the calcium reactor production is the increase/decrease the effluent flow . Those pumps are a little noisy when new of when the are operating at full speed , they need a little break-in period . If you operate them at a reduced speed like we do with a calcium reactor they are not . I have mine in the sump area under my tank and i don't hear it running . My cabinet is made of oak however . When you order your pump from Larry , ask him to enclosed the pump in a little cabinet and add ON-OFF switch and speed control like Jon had showed on the picture he had posted yesterday .
    Alain

Thanks Alain,

I suspect the co2 regulator does not turn on and off as I have seen the graph maintain a straight line at 6.91 mark which should be "on" as our setting >6.90 then "ON". Anyway ,you are right not unless the graph shows a consistent pattern then adjustment should be either thru the secondary pressure gauge of the regulator or the effluent rate. Of which this is my next move .

My update graph of this moment;

By looking at the graph , do you suggest I start adjusting by adding more pressure on the secondary gauge or adjusting the effluent rate faster or slower?

For the pumps , thanks for further instruction .

I have seen the pump head it looks like the BRS dosing pump head?

You mentioned asking Larry to add a box and on / off switch and speed controller like the photo of Jon. I think the box should be ABS made , I like the back of the box with holder that we can screwed it on the wall of the cabinet, I wonder how big will this assembled unit and how heavy it will be?

Do they also have the "tubing adjuster" for easy connecting the small airline tubing as we use in our calcium reactor to connect to the silicone tubes provided by the pumps ?

Cheers

If your doser outlet does not turn OFF-ON , the most likely reason is not enough CO2 , add more pressure and speed up the bubble count ( less interval on the aquarium plants doser ) . I am calling that a calcium reactor cycle . If you have a CONSTANT effluent flow , this cycle will repeat itself continuously and the LOW CO2 and EFFLUENT FLOW alarm are based on this cycle . You will obtain a sawtooth shaped graph like i had show you . All pump head look similar , but be sure this pump is not designed like the BRS pump ( who cannot run constantly and not speed adjustable ) and will not last more then a month i guess if run 24/7 . The unit is about 5 inches x 5 inches x 5 inches and in my case i just use rodi tubing to connect it to the calcium reactor . All effluents control valve need to be remove form the reactor ( needle , pinch and others ) and the flow is simply controlled ( more or less ) by the pump speed . Simple , no clogging , steady and reliable . Yes the pump case is made out of ABS plastic and it come with the fitting . Just make sure to mention that to Larry if you ever get one .
    Alain

Great !

I will check KH as it is about 10 hours since I check the last one this morning giving me 8.20 dkh and I will adjust by adding more on the secondary pressure gauge , hope by doing this it will give me a sawtooth pattern.

I have further notice the APT instrument module , it is like the pumps head with a board panel, I wonder the motor is already within the pump head? How you change the tubing ?

Yes I will connect the RO tube to their provided fitting , hope it fit .

Lastly, is the pump made in USA?

Try speeding up the bubble count first : the main things about the aquarium plants doser is that it is not atmospheric pressure related like a needle doser . You can adjust for more or less bubble by speeding up the bubble count , and you can also increase the size of those bubbles by raising or lowering the secondary pressure . To adjust the dkh in the tank first you need a constant ON-OFF doser operation , when this is reached all is needed is to increase or decrease the effluent flow . Make sure you get a swathooth graph first , the adjust the effluent flow ( this one need to be constant for good results ). The tubing is changed by removing the two screws on the pump head . Larry could tell you where those pump motor are made , i don't know . The motor is inside the case with the board , only the pump head is outside .
    Alain

Thanks Alain,

I have just rechecked the KH and it is the same as 10'hours ago at 8.20 , I will adjust the second / bubbles of the AP doser and hopefully we can get a sawtooth pattern, will report back on this by then.

Much appreciated for your continuing stay tune to my development .

Noted and I will ask Larry where the motor made of, as I still respect the high quality for being USA made. Like my GEO 618, I buy it from the USA thru my friend's help and bring it all the way back to my country , Taiwan.

I don't know where those motor are made but they work so this is what is important .
    Alain

Thanks and I think with you and Jon and a lot more out there that I presumed has already tested the quality of this pump and no doubt it will as well work for me too. Will contact APT and see how they can help me .

By the way , how is the speed knob of this pumps works ? I can see the picture of Jon that the speed adjustable knob show like from small to medium to large (my description) so how can we be able to determine that the speed we set is as what we need like in my case 15ml/ mins? Does it means that we have to manually calibrated it ? Do they have like digital speed or flow controller ?

For the bubbles counter ; I have set 8 sec /bubbles from my previous 9 seconds / bubbles.

Cheers

Yes the knob just set the speed of the pump from a crawl to fast , you can run this pump from a few mil/min to the max speed . To measure the flow just run the pump at a set speed for 5 minutes with the effluent line in a graduated measuring cup . Get the amount and divide by 5 . You can also increase your secondary pressure on the co2 doser .
    Alain

One more questions Alain;

I am studying your graph you posted yesterday and your command of setting to apex as ;

On >6.90

But you don't set "off"

So much wondering that your graph that show as below wherein Apex to turn off itself reaching 6.85 +/- as in your graph and bounce back to above 6.90 and down and up so forth so on?

Here is your graph you posted yesterday :

Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    Yes the knob just set the speed of the pump from a crawl to fast , you can run this pump from a few mil/min to the max speed . To measure the flow just run the pump at a set speed for 5 minutes with the effluent line in a graduated measuring cup . Get the amount and divide by 5 . You can also increase your secondary pressure on the co2 doser .
    Got it !

Ok , I have also now adjust a bit more of my secondary gauge too

One more questions Alain;

I am studying your graph you posted yesterday and your command of setting to apex as ;

On >6.90

But you don't set "off"

So much wondering that your graph that show as below wherein Apex to turn off itself reaching 6.85 +/- as in your graph and bounce back to above 6.90 and down and up so forth so on?

Here is your graph you posted yesterday :

The Set OFF in the previous line of programming .
    Alain

Oh ! I got it , I also have that In my setting ;

Set OFF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast