Thread: Sicce 2.0 on APex, not coming back on?

Regular Vistor

Sicce 2.0 on APex, not coming back on?

I am using a new Sicce 2.0 for my return pump on my tank. When connected to the APex and I turn this outlet off and back on, it won't come back on. The outlet and coding are all correct, it's the pump itself as the outlet is hot when on (tested).

Last night I was programming some feed modes, first time doing this with the Sicce. I hit "A", everything turned off as expected. Then after 5 minutes all but the return pump came back on.. after playing with the settings and not being able to get the pump back on I pulled the pump out. It was hotter than usual to the touch. Almost as if the shaft was lodged. I tried plugging it into a regular outlet and nothing. Disassemble and reassemble and it started working. Next I tried setting this up on one of the relay outlets (4,8) thinking this "might" be the issue. Same thing.. as soon as I turn it off I have to take it apart to get it to come back on..

I talked to support and they said the outlet just turns off and on and this should be no different then pulling the power cord out of a normal outlet and plugging it back in...

Well... not true in my case.

Anyone see anything like this before?

This sounds 100% like a pump problem. If you're seeing the behavior on a regular outlet, I'd go back to Sicce.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Regular Vistor
    Actually I am not seeing this behavior on a regular outlet. Which is why I am hoping someone might have an idea here.. sounds weird I know.. im tempted to make a video of this just so nobody thinks I am on another planet.

And by a regular outlet I can plug this into a regular outlet when its "working" and unplug it without issue. On the Apex, once its off, it wont come on again until I take it apart and back together, at this point when its "stalled" i can plug it into a regular outlet and it still wont turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by sfg View Post
    Well... not true in my case.
    Please clarify. Are you saying the the problem only exists it the pump is powered through an EB8 outlet, and the pump starts and stops people if you plug & unplug from a regular wall receptacle?

This sure sounds like an issue with the pump itself, especially since you tried it in one of the relay-switched outlets - they are mechanically switched, essentially the same as a light switch on the wall.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    While on a EB8, regardless of relayed or not, once I turn this pump off, it wont come back on. Even if I take it over to a normal outlet while at this point it wont come on.

tear down and up gets it working again.

On a regular outlet, i can plug it in and out all day long, never causes any issues.

I can guarantee you the issue here is with the pump and not the EB8. If you move the cord to a wall outlet and it still doesnt turn back on until you rebuild it, that means that the impeller is losing sync with the motor winding, or the thermal overload relay in the pump is shutting it down. There is a good chance that simply replacing the impeller will fix your issue, but there is also a good chance (though less likely) that the motor windings are going bad and the entire pump needs to be replaced.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I can guarantee you the issue here is with the pump and not the EB8. If you move the cord to a wall outlet and it still doesnt turn back on until you rebuild it, that means that the impeller is losing sync with the motor winding, or the thermal overload relay in the pump is shutting it down. There is a good chance that simply replacing the impeller will fix your issue, but there is also a good chance (though less likely) that the motor windings are going bad and the entire pump needs to be replaced.
    it sure sounds like a pump issue, just boggling as when you look at it from a high level it doesn't make sense. I am pretty sure when I go to Sicce support they are going to blame Neptune.... and vice versa.

But I will give it a shot.

Thanks for the input guys..

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Indirectly I have experience with this issue. I purchased a vertex omega 150 with a Sicce pump. The pumps were recalled because of the fact that the impeller could get pushed down towards the housing plate (I forget the technical term) and can cause it to get stuck or cause it to actually break. My experience was that the shaft actually came apart from the impeller and the pump stopped working. I sent an email to the folks that build the skimmer and they sent me a new motor plate and impleller for free and I see a slight difference in the way it's built. It has a slight raised portion in the center that would prevent the impeller from ever rubbing on the plate itself which mine was evidenced by the wear I saw once apart. Their explanation was that the constant starting and stopping of the pump when on controllers like the Apex could cause the impeller to shift down upon starting and strike the plate.

I'm not saying this is the case, but my experience with that pump seems very similar. Take it apart and see if your housing shows evidence of the impeller striking it maybe getting lodged.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Indirectly I have experience with this issue. I purchased a vertex omega 150 with a Sicce pump. The pumps were recalled because of the fact that the impeller could get pushed down towards the housing plate (I forget the technical term) and can cause it to get stuck or cause it to actually break. My experience was that the shaft actually came apart from the impeller and the pump stopped working. I sent an email to the folks that build the skimmer and they sent me a new motor plate and impleller for free and I see a slight difference in the way it's built. It has a slight raised portion in the center that would prevent the impeller from ever rubbing on the plate itself which mine was evidenced by the wear I saw once apart. Their explanation was that the constant starting and stopping of the pump when on controllers like the Apex could cause the impeller to shift down upon starting and strike the plate.

I'm not saying this is the case, but my experience with that pump seems very similar. Take it apart and see if your housing shows evidence of the impeller striking it maybe getting lodged.
    I did notice when I took the impeller out there is a clear washer that is fixed to the bottom of the shaft. there was a small "bur" on the edge of the washer.. this may be whats happening. I opened a warranty claim with Sicce. Let's see what they come back and say. I just bought this pump in Feb of this year..

Thanks!

New User

Old thread question for chad!

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post

Hey chad can you please PM me, i have a question about the pump issue you had on your Vertex Skimmer!

PM sent
    Chad

New User
    Wont let me private message ya! So i have this skimmer running for a few days and cannot get it to start back up after i turn it off via my apex. I have to manually reach into sump and jiggle the air intake valve for it to start. What a nightmare. They want me to send them pics of the impeller and inside of motor block. This thing is brand new!

I would work with their support folks as I don't believe it has anything to do with the Apex. I wasn't a fan of that skimmer as I said in the PM.
    Chad

New User
    This things brand new, what if there are no signs of pitting/or damage to pump!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any old pics of yours that you can send me?!

No. I'm sorry I don't. They didn't seem to put up too much of a fuss at their customer service dept. once I finally got ahold of someone.
    Chad