Thread: Terence's 425g New Build

Frequent Contributor

Terence's 425g New Build

If you guys want to see what I will be up to for the next six months or so, check out the thread below and subscribe!

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/larg...-all-time.html

Sweet!

Get cracking, ya slacker! (Says the guy who took over a year for a 40g build )
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Where are the details on the guts? If you say all apex all the time, there's got to be a ton of modules you are adding. Especially with the VP discount

Frequent Contributor
    It's gonna be a while before I get to the Apex parts. And even then I doubt I will live up to the standards of all you über Control Freaks out there!

Frequent Visitor
    Very nice! Looking forward to tagging along.

Classic User
    Thanks for posting your plans. I posted a reply on the r2r forum with a question for you. Hope you will check it out and respond.

fab

Frequent Contributor
    Responded.

Classic User
    Thank you very much. Not only do you appear to have a really nice display tank in the offing, but your home looks beautiful. It is so nicely finished. Congratulations to you and to your wife on this.

Frank

Very nice build. Will be following your thread!!!

Classic User
    Terence, Coral magazine put out an article (republished) on PVC being toxic for saltwater critters in our aquariums. My impression is that it may only be the case for flexible PVC pipe as the plasticizer additive that makes it non-rigid is the source of the toxicity problem.

I remember having seen a photo of your very long pipe run of flexible PVC and felt obliged to bring this article to your attention. You may want to rerun with rigid pipe. It really is not that hard to do and it could spell the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful aquarium. The article is one in a group of articles dealing with toxins in plastics. It looks like even the bags we put fish in sometimes have a slippery surface treatment that makes it easy to get the bags to open, but is lethally toxic.

I know this is not good news, but hopefully you are still early enough into your build project that you can change the configuration if you decide to.

Frank

CORAL Excerpt: All about plasticizers
    by Daniel Knop, 2013
    "Some materials suitable for freshwater aquariums are inappropriate for marine aquariums. One example is flexiblePVC tubing."
    Knop, editor of KORALLE in Germany, investigates the problems of flexible PVC tubing, explaining how these products are created and why they break down.
    Discover Knop's simple solution for avoiding these issues.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    Terence, Coral magazine put out an article (republished) on PVC being toxic for saltwater critters in our aquariums. My impression is that it may only be the case for flexible PVC pipe as the plasticizer additive that makes it non-rigid is the source of the toxicity problem.
    [/TABLE]
    I appreciate the concern.

The article mainly deals with PVC tubing like that in the picture. Spa flex is something entirely different. Spa Flex is a different material. It is actually a spiral created version of the same 'almost' the same material as in the rigid material. I used spa flex for four years without issue in my aquarium(s). Colleagues of mine have run it for many more. The biggest drawback is getting the glue right on the fittings so they don't fail. Also, there are some UV exposure issues too, but I do not have those. And the last issue for long horizontal runs like mine is making sure there are no significant dips in the line where water can collect and cause issues with sputtering of flow.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Yup, I have used Spa Flex as well for years. For me the prohibitive part is the cost compared to the same length of standard PVC. Ouch!
    Chad