Thread: feed cycle, how complex?

Frequent Visitor

feed cycle, how complex?

Hey there.

I'm looking to make a feed cycle into an auto w/c and I'm wondering if I can do what I want to. Here's a quick run down:

Feed A shuts off pumps, heaters, and ignores two float switches (sw_1 and Sw_2), also powers up an outlet. That outlet opens a valve, which drains the tank.
    That outlet would be on for a specified time. Let's say 10 minutes.
    After specified time passes,
    Outlet_X_drain off
    Outlet_Y_refill on
    System refills, during this refill I need the two DoS units to dose 4 chems.
    Can a feed cycle run the DoS pumps, the DOS pumps would never run outside of my water change program.
    My water change program would run on an as need basis only, not regularly scheduled.
    When a float switch trips (sw_3 = high water level) the system would be full and it would end the feed A. Returning everything to normal operation.

Am I high?

It can most defiantly be done. The coding is a little complex, but I helped another user with a similar code in the thread below. Take a look through it and try taking a crack at the code. Post up your first shot at it and I will gladly review it to make sure it will work as soon as you upload it.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...th-Feed-Button

Then in addition to the code he used, you can use the same feed cycle to trigger a profile from the DOS.

Is defiant programming like an artificial intelligence with a bad attitude? LOL. Auto-mangle strikes again!
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Is defiant programming like an artificial intelligence with a bad attitude? LOL. Auto-mangle strikes again!
    Nope. It's a special type of code that you tell it what you want it to do and it does the exact opposite to make you angry. Lol. Google keyboard is a POS sometimes.

Frequent Visitor
    Been a while, this stuff intimidates me lol. Bear with me, I have the comprehensive guide open beside me so here goes...
    im sorry this is quite long.

So so lets setup feedA as my water change "button"
    first thing I'm going to do is set the feedA to a 30 minute duration via the physical display module. This should provide adequate time for everything planned.

I have three pumps in my system :
    Push_pump
    pull_pump
    refill_pump

push and pull are water filtration components, I will add to thier code " if feedA 000 then off" as I want these off for the 30 minute duration

refill pump is simple, it refills the system from a holding tank after the drain valve has completed its cycle. This pump takes approximately 12 minutes to refill the system.
    Will look something like this:
    refill_pump

fallback off
    set off
    if feedA on then on
    defer 015:00
    if sw_3 closed then off
    (sw_3 = sump water level switch 3, closed = full system, open = water needed)
    this is pump needs to wait it's turn, hence the 15 minute defer, please critic. And advise here, I'm not sure if defer is correct or min time would be a better choice.

I have an automated electric valve in the system plumbing, when open the entire system can drain to a 6" water level and no lower. I currently run it on manual via an eb8 outlet.
    Drain_valve:
    fallback off
    set off
    if feedA on then on
    Run time 015:00 then off
    (^^^ not correct, please advise this needs to be on for 15 minutes only, then off under all other conditions.)
    i can't find in the programming manual how to make it run for only 15 minutes.

heaters are a simple bit, add "if feedA 000 then off" to thier program in the last line.

so much for the easy stuff...
    dos pumps.
    twin DOS pumps, for 4 chems total. The only time the dos should run is during the refill_pump run time. It has to dos the following
    #1 30ml (within the first few minutes of refill_pump) this is prime
    #2 60ml (ending at 10minutes of refill_pump)
    #3 25ml same time as #2
    #4 150ml same time as #2 and 3
    the times are somewhat important, the dos plumbing dumps chems into the pvc line carrying water from the refill_pump to the aquarium system. For example, prime #1 should complete its full dos early in the refill cycle. The other chems should be drawn out longer in order to avoid spiking chems. This refill plumbing fills both the aquarium and sump simultaneously.
    Having the dos dump chems into the aquarium or sump only will cause fish or beneficial bacteria to be exposed to untreated water.

the dos pump documentation is of little help when trying to do something like this. It's all based on the clock, fine for most. I need to run inside a feed program, were it to run via a clock it would load the plumbing with deadly amounts of Chems.
    my total guess for dos would be something like:
    if refill_pump on then on
    followed by a millilitre measurement?
    The feedA will run twice a week FYI. I understand I must manually tell feedA to run.

Sorry again that that this was so long, any help is greatly appreciated.

Right idea, but won't work in practice. What you actually need to do is make the cycle 15 minutes and use this code.

Drain
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then ON

Fill
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If FeedA 015 Then ON
    If Outlet Drain = ON Then OFF
    If sw_3 OPEN Then OFF

*note I changed sw3 from closed to open. You want this to be the case for both ATO and AWC. If your float does not match that physical orientation (up = open, down = closed) take the C clip off the float, flip the magnet around, and put the C clip back on.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

Fill
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If FeedA 015 Then ON
    If Outlet Drain = ON Then OFF
    If sw_3 OPEN Then OFF
    Awesome. Thank you for your reply zombie.
    i like what your doing here, I would have to add another line to the refill pump which would be " if outlet drain = off then off... Except that won't work either...
    the refill pump cannot be In a Situation where it activates without the system first draining...
    Quick explanation... The water flow pumps ( push & pull ) run the system and have water level between float switch 1 and 2. ... Having SW_3 operate the refill will cause overflow.
    How can we make the refill pump run only after the system has drained then never again until feedA runs again?
    Also, why switch the float switch orientation? What's the benefit?
    And DOS... Still totally lost. Any help at all for DOS would really be appreciated.

If it goes between Sw1 and sw2 then add the same line as sw3 but also for sw2.

The orientation is in case your BOB or a wire gets disconnected.

The way it is coded now, the refill will only occur after a drain.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The way it is coded now, the refill will only occur after a drain.
    Right, sorry.
    I missed the "if feedA 015 then on" part...
    This creates a rule that "off except for 15 minutes after feedA ends" .... Wait,
    just to clarify, when reading over the comp manual... Using a 15 minute feedA cycle, and the line "if feedA 015" translates to a 30 minute time from the start of feedA to the start of refill pump? The way my brain interprets what the manual states the line should be "if feedA 000 then on" no?
    I realize I'm a pain...
    I did find the new manual for DOS and it's been some help, just have to figure out how to get to the classic dashboard etc as I've never even looked for that info, but classic is where I need to be to program it as described above... I think.

Basically this is how it works with comments.

Drain
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then ON //turn on for 15 minutes when feed is activated

Fill
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If FeedA 015 Then ON //turn on for 30 minutes when feed is activates
    If Outlet Drain = ON Then OFF //turn off is drain is activated (first 15 minutes)
    If sw_3 OPEN Then OFF //turn off is high switch shows high water level
    If sw_2 OPEN Then OFF //turn off once normal level is reached

Frequent Visitor
    Hello again.
    I've gotten bugs worked out, mostly, for the draining and refilling, times, etc.
    but that DOS...

im thinking that it's going to be something like a profile, of which I've never used. I don't even understand where you program a profile... Or maybe not...
    Here's the real problem I'm having, the manual for dos is junk. heck, the Manual shows options that don't exist in fusion, maybe they exist in classic, but I don't know how to find classic. Still, even if I find classic and the screen that is the same as the dos manual I still need more help than it provides.

Im in total need of hand holding to get dos to do what I need it to do. ie;
    specific volumes dosed only when my refill pump runs and never any other time.

lets tackle the most important one? prime.
    i need dos to dose 30 ml of prime as soon as my refill pump turns on.
    so in fusion - advanced

fallback off
    set off
    if outlet Refill = on then on

Great... How do I get it to dose now? Help me with this one and I can figure out the other three chems I need to dose.
    please and thank you

Make a profile that delivers 30 ml with one dose and any interval you want.

Then for the dos use this code (I'm assuming you names the profile 30ml)

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet refill = ON Then 30ml

Frequent Visitor
    I found profiles! Ha.

thanks zombie. You've been a great help.
    With luck I won't be a bother anymore.