Thread: DOS optical sensor bad?

Frequent Visitor

DOS optical sensor bad?

I got my DDR installed and loaded baking soda solution on one side and magnesium on the other. Went thru all the prep etc.. It is showing valid amounts in each side. But the optical sensor for the right side, despite the presence of 500 ml of magesium is reporting that its out or closed. Its been showing this for 3 days now. I don't think I have any control over this. If its reporting closed even though there are 500 ml present in that tank, then its broken/defective right?

Rich S.

As long as the peak of the sensor, the very tip, is submerged, it should show as CLOSED. If any part of the sensor is above the fluid level it should show OPEN.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

New User
    I am having the opposite problem. I unfortunately ran a bad mix of oceans blend calcium (it separated like Kalk) and got up the DDR reservoir Caked in film and gunk. The optical eye shows closed even though the reservoir is completely empty. Does anyone know if there is a safe method for cleaning the eye?

Frequent Visitor riverchemistry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minemann View Post
    I am having the opposite problem. I unfortunately ran a bad mix of oceans blend calcium (it separated like Kalk) and got up the DDR reservoir Caked in film and gunk. The optical eye shows closed even though the reservoir is completely empty. Does anyone know if there is a safe method for cleaning the eye?
    You can use a toothbrush if there's a lot of gunk or crust on it. Some vinegar rinsed onto the brush might help. If a sensor is reading closed when the DDR container is empty then that may be it. It should read OPEN when it's empty.

New User
    Should the eye in the reservoir also show the amount left in the each tank also? On my APEX Fusion dashboard it shows 2000ML even though I see there half full? Any help with this please reply..........

Quote Originally Posted by mkmcaninch View Post
    Should the eye in the reservoir also show the amount left in the each tank also? On my APEX Fusion dashboard it shows 2000ML even though I see there half full? Any help with this please reply..........
    The optical sensors in the DDR only serve to indicate if the level in the reservoir is above or below the sensor. Please refer to the DDR Get Started guide. https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/ddr/
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks for your help

Frequent Visitor
    See pic. ALKLO is an optical sensor in DDR Alk tank. CLCMLO is an optical sensor in DDR Calcium tank. ATOWLO is an optical sensor in my ATO tank.

All tanks are nearly full to the top. ALKLO and ATOWLO correctly indicate “closed” meaning there is liquid in the respective tanks.

CLCMLO indicates “open” meaning the tank is empty which it isn’t.

What could be causing this optical sensor error?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprisingly, these optical sensors can fail. I had one of them (on an ATK module) fail in CLOSED position. Contact Neptune if the DDR is still under warranty. Or do like me, and just buy some spares to keep on hand.

Regular Vistor
    I have the same problem right now. Neptune fixed it last month. Not sure what they did. It's failed open again. Arghhhh. Need to call them tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I will open a support ticket with Neptune. This is not mission critical by any means and I am otherwise happy with DOS and DDR. My parameters are dialed in perfectly with a healthy mixed reef tank growing SPS and laying down coraline beyond my expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    The sensors on my DDR are always "OPEN" when there is obviously fluid covering them. I never see them in the "closed" reading when both containers are full? Do I need to replace the DDR?

Quote Originally Posted by Timgentry View Post
    The sensors on my DDR are always "OPEN" when there is obviously fluid covering them. I never see them in the "closed" reading when both containers are full? Do I need to replace the DDR?
    Your optical sensors could be bad and require replacement. The way to know for sure is to use a multimeter with a diode setting (arrow with line at the tip) and check the bias voltage across the diode.

When the molex connector is facing you with the numbering

6 5 4
    3 2 1

You should get approximately 1V between 4 and 6 and the same between 2 and 6.

On the DOS end, you should get 5V between pin 1 and 6 (remember this reads 4 5 6, 1 2 3 as you're looking at it).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor

DDR Optical Sensors

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Your optical sensors could be bad and require replacement. The way to know for sure is to use a multimeter with a diode setting (arrow with line at the tip) and check the bias voltage across the diode.

When the molex connector is facing you with the numbering

6 5 4
    3 2 1

You should get approximately 1V between 4 and 6 and the same between 2 and 6.

On the DOS end, you should get 5V between pin 1 and 6 (remember this reads 4 5 6, 1 2 3 as you're looking at it).

Thanks for the response but I don't have multimeter with a diode setting.

I wonder if I can just get a replacement cable with the sensors?

DOS optical sensor bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Timgentry View Post
    Thanks for the response but I don't have multimeter with a diode setting.

I wonder if I can just get a replacement cable with the sensors?
    Contact tech support