Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New product announcement - PMK

Frequent Contributor

New product announcement - PMK

https://www.neptunesystems.com/pmk

Shipping next month in North America at $299.95

PMK-BANNER.jpg

New User
    When will this be available to purchase?

Frequent Contributor
    Terence the question I would have is it looks like Apogee PAR Sensor which did not give me correct reading for my Kessil Lights...so I am curious how Neptune is going to handle all the different LED lights on the market and how they read differently in values....????
    Jon

Regular Vistor
    Very interested in this as well. Could be very helpful. How long is the sensor lead?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Long - like 16'.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

o I am curious how Neptune is going to handle all the different LED lights on the market
    Apogee has a series of tables with percentages +/- that you would use to adjust the readings bases on the predominate color of your lighting. Since Kessils are so heavily blue, I assume you'd use the blue percentage.

More important would be to use whatever reading you get initially and monitor that over time.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Long - like 16'.
    Nice. Can't wait to place my order. Was thinking of getting a standalone par meter.

Regular Vistor
    You've definitely got my attention, Terence. Any chance there will be forthcoming documentation made available as to what types/brands/protocols of other sensors will function with the ASM? Your team deserves a high-five for thinking ahead and embedding the PAR sensor in rock. Always impressed by your continued innovation, and I believe the potential for flexibility to use a variety of sensors with this module is going to take the Apex to a whole new level in terms of return on investment for the consumer. Well done.

Frequent Visitor
    Can't wait to hear more about the new module. What else will we be able to measure???

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Apogee has a series of tables with percentages +/- that you would use to adjust the readings bases on the predominate color of your lighting. Since Kessils are so heavily blue, I assume you'd use the blue percentage.

More important would be to use whatever reading you get initially and monitor that over time.
    I agree that you should treat it like an ORP probe look for trends, but this is not what Neptune is portraying in the write-up...

I tried to do the +/- percentages values and didn't make sense and the figures were way off...example is I have a 65g tank that is 36" wide and 24" deep and my kessil 360WE sit 6" above the water level and here are the results I got:

650 under the lights at the top of the water
    225 under the lights about half way down in the water
    125 under the lights at the sand bed

I think I read somewhere that Kessils have more PUR then PAR...???
    Jon

Frequent Contributor
    One of the most important aspects of using the PMK will be how measurements change over time and conditions. Time is both daily as well as much longer term which can help identify failing bulbs/LEDs, or other issues in the tank such as water clarity. Conditions can mean anything from seeing how light changes as corals grow from above to water quality degradation to simply changing how you mix your LED colors or overall intensities.

Now, combine the above along with the #1 important tool in keeping a great reef tank - OBSERVATION - and you really have something.

Also, if you make changes to your lighting and see a fall off in your corals, then you can find the sweet spot for PAR intensity and day long patterns.

Getting an absolute number that is 100% accurate across all lights may seem to be the ultimate goal but really the truly helpful goal is to get relative data points in your aquarium that you can compare to your past as well as to those of your peers.

Jon - those numbers approximate what I see with my Kessils.

Naturally it varies based on how much blue you have and it's going to be nearly impossible to compare fixtures unless everyone uses numbers with the fixture outlet as 'ON' where all colors are at 100%. It's simply a function of the optical sensor and lens that are used on those devices that they are tuned to particular wavelengths and less responsive to others.
    Al

Regular Vistor
    Couple questions I have is what is the lifespan of these sensors if they are always in the tank? Also, what type of signal is the sensor sending to the module, voltage or resistance?

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by mlott132 View Post
    Couple questions I have is what is the lifespan of these sensors if they are always in the tank? Also, what type of signal is the sensor sending to the module, voltage or resistance?

Testing has show the sensors to be functional for years while submerged in saltwater.

This particular sensor is a 0-1v device but the ASM will enable many other sensors to be used as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Testing has show the sensors to be functional for years while submerged in saltwater.

This particular sensor is a 0-1v device but the ASM will enable many other sensors to be used as well.
    What range will the ASM be?

Frequent Contributor
    There will be more details released soon on the ASM. The hardware and software will enable multiple ranges that will accomodate 0-1V and 0-5V based probes/devices with a generic calibration mechanism so they can be "zeroed" as necessary depending on the device attached.

Frequent Visitor
    Fantastic innovative release! I'm looking forward to getting one to use between my fresh water tank and my salt water tank.

As for other probes for the ASM, I'm thinking dissolved co2, calcium, nitrate!

http://americanmarineusa.com/collect...point-monitors

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxpert View Post
    Fantastic innovative release! I'm looking forward to getting one to use between my fresh water tank and my salt water tank.

As for other probes for the ASM, I'm thinking dissolved co2, calcium, nitrate!

http://americanmarineusa.com/collect...point-monitors
    this sensor will definitely require some maintenance to keep it clean and accurate. Im on the fence

Frequent Visitor
    I have been waiting for this for a long time. Where do I preorder?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by simpletty View Post
    this sensor will definitely require some maintenance to keep it clean and accurate. Im on the fence
    That was my first thought when I saw this announcement. Might be better used as a meter you can put in the water for a few days or weeks to get some measurements and make some adjustments if deemed necessary. It will be interesting to see how well it works and how folks use them. I'll sit on the sidelines for a while on this one but will be very interested.

Frequent Visitor
    I am very interested but not to have it inside the aquarium all the time.

I have come great lengths not to have a single pump or cord inside the aquarium ...

All the best,
    Rui

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    I am very interested but not to have it inside the aquarium all the time.

I have come great lengths not to have a single pump or cord inside the aquarium ...

All the best,
    Rui
    I agree. I too have spent much time and money in assuring I don't have obtrusive cords in display tank.

Do we have an update on the Release Date?
    Thanks

New User
    I've never used a par meter before so this may be a dumb question. Will this monitor my lighting and then show me the optimal settings in the lighting wizard? Or just show me the levels of light my tank is getting at different depths including light that the human eye can't see.Then I would need to figure out the adjustments based on the readings?

Quote Originally Posted by a361c View Post
    I've never used a par meter before so this may be a dumb question. Will this monitor my lighting and then show me the optimal settings in the lighting wizard? Or just show me the levels of light my tank is getting at different depths including light that the human eye can't see.Then I would need to figure out the adjustments based on the readings?
    It tells you how much usable light "coral food" there is at the location you place the sensor and gives you a graph of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast