Thread: DOS - Noisy Pump 2

Frequent Visitor

DOS - Noisy Pump 2

I finally bought a DOS for my system.

Pump 1 runs quiet while Pump 2 is nosier.

Is this a common problem or should I contact Neptune Support?

Thoughts??

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Many thoughts and many posts on this subject depending upon what you mean by noise. Is it from the motor or from the heads such as a clicking or popping sound etc?
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    I did some troubleshooting yesterday with the heads. When I swapped the heads around, the noise followed. Its a clicking sound from the heads. Both motors run very quiet without the heads.

I'm just read the email from Neptune from the ticket I opened last night. I just need to fill out the form for head replacements.

Thank you!

I just opened a ticket as well. I received new rollers back when the issue was coming up for a back-siphon but based on what I have read I believe a new reinforced/redesigned head is out there that doesn't sound like ours. I have been living with it since February but if there are heads that don't make this noise I am definitely interested.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Neptune Systems was very fast assisting me with the issues!

They're shipping me the replacements heads in August when I'm back in the country.

Definitely very happy with my Apex .

Frequent Visitor
    I have an open work order as well reference the noise head covers but they want me to send them pictures of them fist showing any cracks or fractures. I'll get around to taking the heads apart and see what kind of damage is visible and send pictures. However, I'm not thrilled about having to prove something that appears to be pretty well documented by many others already.

Has anyone here that received the replacement covers care to comment on how they compare to the originals?

Frequent Visitor
    Neptune Systems just requested a photo of the back of the DOS and receipt.

The service received was great!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by byee View Post
    Neptune Systems just requested a photo of the back of the DOS and receipt.

The service received was great!
    That's a different issue... I had to do the same thing to get my rollers replaced and the picture of the back was to prove that the DOS had a serial number of 5000 or less to show it was part of the recall. The cracking noise we are talking about here is caused by the orange plastic cover over the rollers. Before replacing my rollers only one of the covers made the loud noise but when I replaced the rollers with the new ones both sides started making the cracking sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakelivin View Post
    I have an open work order as well reference the noise head covers but they want me to send them pictures of them fist showing any cracks or fractures. I'll get around to taking the heads apart and see what kind of damage is visible and send pictures. However, I'm not thrilled about having to prove something that appears to be pretty well documented by many others already.

Has anyone here that received the replacement covers care to comment on how they compare to the originals?
    Just got the new ones. Looks the same to me and make the same noise. Argh!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Lakelivin View Post
    That's a different issue... I had to do the same thing to get my rollers replaced and the picture of the back was to prove that the DOS had a serial number of 5000 or less to show it was part of the recall. The cracking noise we are talking about here is caused by the orange plastic cover over the rollers. Before replacing my rollers only one of the covers made the loud noise but when I replaced the rollers with the new ones both sides started making the cracking sounds.
    Ok so I tried what worked on the old covers to see if I could quiet the cracking noise as it is almost exactly the same with the new rollers and it worked. I had some gasket grease. The type you get in the little plastic container at the Depot near the sink repair kits and stuff and dabbed it all around the rim of the roller cover. Any point of the roller cover that fits against the housing got a little layer of this grease. I didn't lay it on like cake frosting, but maybe about a pea sized amount spread around the entire cover rim and edges. Snapped it back into place and it worked great. No noise at all. The issue in my case seems to be the fitting between the cover and where it snaps onto the same type of plastic on the motor housing. So where those two come together seems to creak and crack when the motors turn. Try this and see if it helps as I listen to mine running right now without any noise but the motor noise.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks fir the heads up!

I'll definitely try you suggestion if it's noisy.

Thank you!

Update: Day 2 of the above posted fix and so far so good. Pumps both running at all speeds do not have the noise coming from them. If anything changes I will keep you posted.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Update: Day 2 of the above posted fix and so far so good. Pumps both running at all speeds do not have the noise coming from them. If anything changes I will keep you posted.
    Did this turn out to be a long term noise fix?