Thread: what do you guys think about the mindstream

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar

what do you guys think about the mindstream

i just saw this what do you guys think is it the next step in testing or BS also its not cheap almost 1000 bucks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

I have been following it as well. Much like other similar monitors, the monthly costs far out way the need. I would rather stick to good ol testing. Or at least that is my assumption. The kickstart has the unit for $495USD (other posts are saying they will retail for around $800 when launched), but a kickstart of $1,000USD will get you the monitor and a year worth of discs. Which means $500 for discs, which is before retail etc. Probably going to be $50+ a month for discs when it hits the market. Probably a toy for those who can afford it.
    Current: 120 Gallon Peninsula DIY system.

I am septic !It is too nice to be true ! However , if it really work and could interconnect with my Apex , i already have a few idea on how to use it !
    Alain

kind of what i was thinking
    but if Neptune would be able to do something similar and add it to the apex we would have somthing

The Mindstream has immense potential, I believe. If this thing really works, I think it could revolutionize the way many of us do things, and become a mainstay in the hobby and the aquaculture industry.

In comparison, the Seneye doesn't go far enough, so it's never caught on very well with reefkeepers.

Apex/APEX Fusion integration would be a huge plus.

I readily admit that am not as diligent as I should be about testing water parameters. A system like the Mindstream would allow me to continue to be lazy . Although I prefer to look at it as working smarter, not harder
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

i have the same issue being lazy with testing. i would love to be able to have consent logging of the chemicals in the tank if it works. time will tell if it is worth the money and lives up to the hype but it looks like promising technology

Frequent Contributor
    For those who want to invest here is a link to midstream Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859739753/mindstream-aquarium-monitor
    Jon

well the raised 20k in a few hours so people must be excited about it

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    They have already stated that eventual apex integration is a goal. Imagine being able to dose calcium and alkalinity based on real time actual test values of these parameters, instead of approximating usage based on timed dosages.

I'll let the other people work out the kinks and make sure it works, but if it does, I'll pay good money for it...
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Banned
    I am going to take a guess and say that the end product will not be as multi capable as they advertise. I actually enjoy my twice a week testing and think it keeps me more in tune with whats happening in my tank. I take time to observe and note things down as compared to looking at a chart. Plus its a bit too much cost for my taste. Test kits totalling 100$ can last me for 6 months vs 10$ per month for discs and initial startup cost of 1000$. Ill stick to what I have, It would be nice to have in place when holidays come about, but for a few weeks of the year, I cannot justify the expense. Ill pay my LFS to come in and monitor my tank for 52$ a week.

Frequent Visitor
    I was interested in it until I saw the price. 20$+ a month is not worth it to me. I don't have any massive things that could die and kill my tank, so parameters are more of an afterthought compared to my weekly water changes that handle things just fine.

Until something comes out that allows me to monitor nitrates and phosphates at ppb, I'm afraid I'm not hopping on the train..

Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    I was interested in it until I saw the price. 20$+ a month is not worth it to me. I don't have any massive things that could die and kill my tank, so parameters are more of an afterthought compared to my weekly water changes that handle things just fine.

Until something comes out that allows me to monitor nitrates and phosphates at ppb, I'm afraid I'm not hopping on the train..
    Agreed, however the real value is in continuous measurement of cal, alk, and mg. If it is truly as accurate as they propose, and it was integrated into the apex, it would be relatively easy to do self tuning dosing of your major elements, which would be a huge step in creating that ideal environment for sps. Right now it's outrageously priced for most people, but if this catches hold and they are able to mass manufacture these to cut the costs down, I would get one in a heartbeat.

New User
    I think this looks fantastic! However, $500 x 4 aquariums? Plus the monthly cost? Pretty pricey.