Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecap Gyre Interface Module

Regular Vistor

Icecap Gyre Interface Module

Good evening all,
    I just purchased 2 of the gyre interface modules for my xf130's. I could only find one video where the guy was pretty ambiguous about the ports. I have a free v3/v4 variable speed port. Can one port control 2 gyres like it can with other pumps? The video makes it seem like it needs a dedicated port.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Regular Vistor
    Downloaded the user guide and there is a diagram showing two gyres controlled by one of their included cables. Nice.

Anybody have these yet? I'm finding no info out there on them from users.

Ken

New User
    I just ordered mine tonight. I'm excited to get them in and see how they really are working.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by kb27973 View Post
    Good evening all,
    I just purchased 2 of the gyre interface modules for my xf130's. I could only find one video where the guy was pretty ambiguous about the ports. I have a free v3/v4 variable speed port. Can one port control 2 gyres like it can with other pumps? The video makes it seem like it needs a dedicated port.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    Yes, if you have a variable speed port open on the apex, you can control two pumps from it (as long as each pump has its own IceCap Module). It works like any other 0-10v pump and it handles the same way. The programming is also the same as any other 0-10v pump.

Another way to run your Gyres under Apex control is to slowly ramp them up and down in opposition - while one ramps up, the other ramps down, then the ramps switch.

To do this, you use a virtual outlet to control the switching between a ramp up profile and a ramp down profile.

First, the profiles:

[ Gyre_Up ]
    Type: Ramp
    Ramp time: 3
    Start Intensity: 25
    End Intensity: 100

[ Gyre_Down ]
    Type: Ramp
    Ramp time: 3
    Start Intensity: 100
    End Intensity: 25

The virtual outlet:
    [ Gyre-OSC ]
    OSC 0:00/3:00/3:00 Then ON

The Gyre variable speed outlets:

[ Gyre_Left ]
    Set Gyre_Up
    If Outlet Gyre_OSC = ON Then Gyre_Down

[ Gyre_Right ]
    Set Gyre_Down
    If Outlet Gyre_OSC = ON Then Gyre_Up

I used a 3 minute ramp duration in this example; to use other times, modify the profiles and the OSC in the VO - they all must be the same.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    okay. Im an idiot to the programing. I have the icecap gyre interfaces for both gyres. I know where to plug in to my apex gyre 1 is in v1/v2 and gyre 2 is in v3/4 how do I make them run opposite of each other and ramp up and down threw out the day. I want to create a low tide and high tide effect. please be specific as im a newbie on how to name the port and what to write under the advance.

Regular Vistor
    I'm confused too. I'm hoping the code Russ posted above will be enough to control 2 pumps ramping up and down with nothing extra. Since I ordered a couple of days ago they have added a new cable to their page. The only reason I can see for it is to allow reverse.
    Alternate Gyre Mode Modified Cable for IceCap Gyre Interface Module

This cable allows you to run your Maxspect Gyre in both forward and reverse direction by using one full Variable Speed port on your Apex to connect two 0-10v signals to a single IceCap Gyre Interface Module.

Regular Vistor
    Well an interesting turn of events. Last night Coralvue posted a video and pictures that clearly show the icecap interface module is supposed to come with the y cable. They have denied this this Saturday and insisted that its a separate purchase. I've argued the point since Monday. Well today they finally admitted I was correct and they are refunding me the money for the y cables that they insisted was separate. Even though there website clearly shows that it comes with it. So if you've bought the extra cable call and ask for a refund. After I speak with apex today I will post the code on here. Hopefully it will help. Proof is in the pudding.

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by kb27973 View Post
    I'm confused too. I'm hoping the code Russ posted above will be enough to control 2 pumps ramping up and down with nothing extra. Since I ordered a couple of days ago they have added a new cable to their page. The only reason I can see for it is to allow reverse.
    Alternate Gyre Mode Modified Cable for IceCap Gyre Interface Module

This cable allows you to run your Maxspect Gyre in both forward and reverse direction by using one full Variable Speed port on your Apex to connect two 0-10v signals to a single IceCap Gyre Interface Module.

Frequent Visitor
    Did the extra cable come packaged with your interface module?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatt56 View Post
    Did the extra cable come packaged with your interface module?
    No. Mine only came with the single cable. And I had to buy the double (y) cable separate. But now Coralvue is advertising that the (y) cable comes with the module. So if you've already paid extra for the y cable call and ask for your money back. The picture in the earlier post is from there website.

New User
    Mine only came with the single cables as well. I've contacted customer service and requested a shipment of the y to me.

New User

Icecap Gyre Interface Module

Here's to a quick ship of the replacement cables..

Regular Vistor
    I hope you didn't have to pay for the y cable. Also, I spent two hours on the phone with Apex. They claim nobody there even knew it had been released much less certified as Apex ready. Nobody there had any training on the device and hadn't even seen one must less tested one. My two where the first. What we did discover is that you 1. Need to make sure your fusion web page is up to date. That way you can use the graph to make the pump work easiest way to ramp up and down. 2. I think the first generation of gyre will not work with the modules. Every time we tried to make it work the unit shut off within 13 seconds. I had to unplug and start again. Tried both modules same result. Then I put the modules on the newer pump and no problem. So it has to be the pump. Also, my pump has a split cable and I'm waiting on the replacement. I have a return call from Apex on Tuesday to try to sync the two to work opposite each other with the y cables. The more I know the more I'll share. But ugh!!!! Why say something is apex ready when they haven't even had a chance to look at one.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by c5thomas View Post
    Also, I spent two hours on the phone with Apex. They claim nobody there even knew it had been released much less certified as Apex ready. Nobody there had any training on the device and hadn't even seen one must less tested one.
    The manufacturer was claiming Apex Ready before approval but it was just less than a week ago we finished testing and approved it. With Apex Ready products our support team are not always up to speed on them out of the gate and we usually do not provide detailed support on other manufacturers products beyond, in this case, how you can plug them in and test that they are connected and that the vspd ports are operating as they should. The manufacturer of the device will usually provide the instructions and support on how to best operate their product (in this case the Gyre) with our Apex.

I know that CoralVue generally does a great job in this department. They already have one setup video and I know they have another in the works.

Regular Vistor
    Terence, I feel you may have misinterpreted my message. So for all to be clear. Neptune Apex was very very helpful in working with me to try to get the gyre running on my system. We where both learning and uncovered some flaws that the module/gyre has. As we were not sure if the apex had a bad port or if the icecap module or gyre was the problem. Apex has been wonderful however, Coralvue not so much.

Regular Vistor
    Here is what we came up with for my gyre on V1/V2. You will need to click on the wizard icon on the top left 4th icon. Once you have the graph you can change the power and what time. If you click the compare button you can add the V2 and v 3/4 on the graph. Once I get my cables I'll post more.
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Regular Vistor
    Here is a video that shows you how to program the APEX to use the module and make the Gyre do 4 different flow patterns throughout the day. It assumes that you are using the Y cable.

http://blog.coralvue.com/icecap-gyre...troller-setup/

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the link. I also, discovered that you have to have a special single cable to run forward and backwards. However, the y cable is so you can run two interface modules on the v1/v2 port. Coralvue obviously released the unit prior to really getting all the information on how to work it all correctly. However at least they are starting to get the information out.

Regular Vistor
    The single cable will allow you to run the gyre in both forward and reverse direction but will only allow you to run one gyre per cable per network outlet. The Y cable will allow you to run two modules and up to 2 pumps from a single cable per network outlet but the pumps will only run in forward direction.

When using the single cable that takes a full network outlet and uses both VS ports, VS1 will control your speed and VS2 will control the direction. If you set VS2 to 0 speed, it will run the pump forward. If you set VS2 to 100 speed, it will run the pump in reverse direction.

Regular Vistor
    Do you have a code to make that happen by chance? I've got the code to make multiple run from one port. Thanks for your help

Frequent Visitor
    I think the first generation of gyre will not work with the modules. Every time we tried to make it work the unit shut off within 13 seconds. I had to unplug and start again. Tried both modules same result. Then I put the modules on the newer pump and no problem. So it has to be the pump.
    This bugs me a bit...
    First off, how can you tell if a pump is a first or second gen?
    And has Coralvue aknowledged that there are potential issues caused by first and gen pumps? Are they even aware?
    It kinda sucks, my controller is on the way and now there's a chance it won't even work with my Gyre :-(

Regular Vistor
    The very first couple of shipments the cord covering is thin and cracks. The new ones have a noticeable thicker cord. My new motor came in yesterday. So I'll try it today. As for CoralVue, they haven't acknowledged anything. I feel they released the unit a bit early. They should have gotten all the cables and everything prior to release.

Regular Vistor
    I think the first generation of gyre will not work with the modules. Every time we tried to make it work the unit shut off within 13 seconds. I had to unplug and start again. Tried both modules same result. Then I put the modules on the newer pump and no problem. So it has to be the pump.
    All IceCap Modules for the XF150 come uncalibrated. When you first connect a pump to the box, the box will calibrate itself by testing the pump and finding the correct setting for the pump you are connecting the box to. In essence, the box is mating itself with the particular pump you connected it to. It will do this only the very first time and then the module will always remember this calibration.

So as long as you use the module with the same pump that you mated it with the very first time, you should have no issues with speed.

The other thing that could have happened is that you may have had the speed setting to too low. The pump motor cannot physically run at less than 18% speed to be specific. Anything below that and the pump will run but then will shut down. Just run it above at no less than 20% and you should have no issues with speed. The video I linked you to specifies this during the programming part. If you put your hand next to a gyre running on a basic controller at it's lowest setting and then a gyre running on the module at 20%, they are both the same speed.

The reason why the Module has a calibration cycle when you first connect it so that it can test the pump and then select the best internal setting to run it.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    This bugs me a bit...
    First off, how can you tell if a pump is a first or second gen?
    When you first connect the module to your gyre, it will run a calibration cycle for 10 seconds. It will run the pump at 100% while it tests the pump and selects the best setting to run your particular pump. Once that is done, you should have no issues with the box.

And has Coralvue aknowledged that there are potential issues caused by first and gen pumps? Are they even aware?
    The gyre is a Maxspect product and they are the ones that engineered and manufactured it.

It kinda sucks, my controller is on the way and now there's a chance it won't even work with my Gyre :-(
    I would suggest waiting until you get the module and physically trying it before jumping into any conclusions.

Regular Vistor
    Here is what we came up with for my gyre on V1/V2. You will need to click on the wizard icon on the top left 4th icon. Once you have the graph you can change the power and what time. If you click the compare button you can add the V2 and v 3/4 on the graph. Once I get my cables I'll post more.
    image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
    If your gyre is running on V1/V2, then V1 is your speed. You can program a daily chart of speeds on this outlet BUT make sure that the speed is never below 20%.

For V2, since I am assuming that you are only going to run the pump forward, manually set the outlet to ON and make it 0%. This manual statement will make the pump run forward 100% of the time without changing.

So, on the last picture, change the 00:00 and 23:59 intensities to 20% and the pump should run just fine as long as V2 is ON and set to 0% intensity.

Once you have the Y cable, you won't have to worry about V2 and the pump will only use and need one VariableSpeed outlet input.

I will post some programming for Alternating Gyre Mode in the next few hours. The family needs to get ready for brunch!!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast