Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecap Gyre Interface Module

Regular Vistor
    Got my hands on 2 Icecap modules and just love them. Very easy to setup and to control the Apex.
    Still playing around with the flow patterns.

IMG_9504.jpgScreen Shot 2015-08-28 at 1.19.53 PM.png

Regular Vistor
    Here is the latest instructional video for the gyre. It shows you how to use TWO modules at once to create complex flow patterns different times a day.

http://blog.coralvue.com/icecap-gyre...ync-anti-sync/

"Our goal for this video is to create a complete flow schedule using two gyres placed horizontally on opposite sides of our tank. We will create a combination of profiles, virtual and regular outlets to allow both pumps to work together to create some amazing flow patterns.
    We will create ramp up and ramp down profiles that can be used by both pumps in offsetting times. During the morning hours, while one pump ramps up, the other will ramp down. Then midway through the day, we will change the flow and have the pumps pulse and create crashing waves in the middle of the tank. In the afternoon, we will have the pumps return to offsetting ramp up and ramp down and during the night, we will use the same ramp up and ramp down motion but at a much slower frequency and reduced intensity to give our corals and fish a break."

Regular Vistor
    maxreefer - Thanks for that feedback. Still setting up my tank so haven't hooked mine up yet, but it's good to hear they do what they are supposed to.

Carlosreef - Thanks for the link. I suppose I will be able to do exactly what they do in the vid since I have 2 modules and they sent me extra cables so I have both types.

Ken

Regular Vistor
    I have been using the IceCap for a couple of weeks now and I thought I would post my settings. Some background: I have two xf-150s - one is oriented horizontally (right) at the end of the tank and the other is vertically oriented in the opposing back corner (left). I am only using a single IceCap module, but I am using both of the variable ports to control it.

This program does a few things
    Left gyre is only on during the day for 40 minutes at a time
    Left gyre turns off during feeding
    Right gyre slows to minimum speed during feeding
    Right gyre runs at 30% at night and ramps up to 80% and then pulses during the day
    Right gyre changes directions every 5 minutes

[Gyre_fwd] - Variable outlet that controls intensity of pump
    Fallback OFF
    If Time 08:00 to 09:00 Then g_ramp_up
    If Time 09:00 to 22:00 Then g_pulse
    If Time 22:00 to 23:00 Then g_ramp_dn
    If Time 23:00 to 08:00 Then g_night
    If Outlet Feed_outlet = ON Then g_feed

[Gyre_direct] - 2nd variable outlet that controls direction
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet g_back = ON Then g_reverse
    If Outlet g_back = OFF Then g_forward

[g_back] - Virtual outlet to alternate direction every 5 minutes during the day
    Fallback ON
    OSC 005:00/005:00/005:00 Then ON
    If Time 22:00 to 09:00 Then OFF
    If Outlet Feed_outlet = ON Then OFF

[Gyre_left] - EB8 outlet that controls left Gyre
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    OSC 020:00/040:00/000:00 Then ON
    If Time 23:00 to 06:00 Then OFF
    If Outlet Feed_outlet = ON Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

[Gyre_right] - EB8 port for right Gyre. Mainly used to disable during maintenance
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF

PROFILES

[g_ramp_up]
    Type: RAMP
    Ramp Time: 60
    Start Intensity: 30
    End Intensity: 80

[g_ramp_dn]
    Type: RAMP
    Ramp Time: 60
    Start Intensity: 80
    End Intensity: 30

[g_pulse]
    Type: Pump
    Initial Off Time: 0
    On Time: 3
    Off Time: 1
    Minimum Intensity: 30
    Maximum Intensity: 80

[g_night]
    On Time: 60
    Off Time: 60
    Minimum Intensity: 30
    Maximum Intensity: 30

[g_feed]
    Minimum Intensity: 21
    Maximum Intensity: 21

[g_reverse] - This sets the 2nd variable port to 100 which causes the gyre to run in reverse
    Minimum Intensity: 100
    Maximum Intensity: 100

[g_forward] - This sets the 2nd variable port to 0 which causes the gyre to run forward
    Minimum Intensity: 0
    Maximum Intensity: 0

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosreef View Post
    Here is the latest instructional video for the gyre. It shows you how to use TWO modules at once to create complex flow patterns different times a day.

"Our goal for this video is to create a complete flow schedule using two gyres placed horizontally on opposite sides of our tank. We will create a combination of profiles, virtual and regular outlets to allow both pumps to work together to create some amazing flow patterns.
    We will create ramp up and ramp down profiles that can be used by both pumps in offsetting times. During the morning hours, while one pump ramps up, the other will ramp down. Then midway through the day, we will change the flow and have the pumps pulse and create crashing waves in the middle of the tank. In the afternoon, we will have the pumps return to offsetting ramp up and ramp down and during the night, we will use the same ramp up and ramp down motion but at a much slower frequency and reduced intensity to give our corals and fish a break."
    Carlos,

Thanks for this video. I actually have mine setup exactly this way. I think I will eventually change it up later but for now things look good.

One idea I am thinking about doing is having the two pumps constantly ramping from 25% to 80% in a 15 minute interval opposite of each other.

So Left pump will be 25% and Right pump will be 80%. As Left pump goes to say 35% Right pump will be 70%. Eventually Left pump will hit 80% and right pump will be 25% then the cycle repeats. I would like to have this run for 2 hours at the start of the day and 2 hours at the end of the day. I just need to think about how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxgangster View Post
    One idea I am thinking about doing is having the two pumps constantly ramping from 25% to 80% in a 15 minute interval opposite of each other.
    I just need to think about how to do this.
    Look for a post by me earlier in this thread - I already posted how to do it. Just change the times and intensities as desired.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Look for a post by me earlier in this thread - I already posted how to do it. Just change the times and intensities as desired.
    Ha, I was just going to post the same thing! hehehehe

Regular Vistor
    Got mine hooked up a couple of days ago. I'm completely blown away. Was thinking about getting the WAV but not anymore!
    Ken

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by kb27973 View Post
    Got mine hooked up a couple of days ago. I'm completely blown away. Was thinking about getting the WAV but not anymore!
    Ken
    This is the perfect example showing the power of the Apex ecosystem as well as the fact that we as a company are all about expanding your choice of products you can control, not limiting it.

Some have put forth on forums and to us personally at MACNA that now that we have our own lines of products we will not support other manufacturers. This post proves them all wrong. We made tested and certified this product Apex Ready at the exact same time as we were beginning to ship our WAV.

Our philosophy is to let you decide what things you would like to control, let you influence other manufacturers to make their products Apex Ready, and then help to make it all work with your Apex. This is exactly what happened with the Gyre.

Everyone is different in terms of what features they prioritize in their selection of equipment. For instance, some will choose the Gyre for its flow patterns or for other reasons. Some may like our WAV product for its tighter integration and the other features it has - but ultimately YOU have CHOICES.

Congrats on your set up.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Terence and I completely agree. I'm a long time Neptune customer. I bought the first version back when Curt was doing all the tech support himself. That was so long ago my AquaNotes program came on floppy disks . I always knew he had a good product and would make it someday. Congrats to Curt and all of Neptunesystems. You guys are headed in the right direction, keep going!
    Ken

Regular Vistor

Sync - Antisync Gyres

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosreef View Post

Hi Carlos,
    Thanks for the great set of videos and posts.

In the text in the anti-sync blog post cited above the Night_Up & Night_Down profiles have identical start & end intensity values. Is this a typo or am I confused thinking that they should mirror the Day_Up & Day_Down?

Regards,
    Drukyulgoods

Regular Vistor
    Thank you for the heads up. The video is correct and the transcript was incorrect. I went ahead and corrected it and it should be ok now.

Thank you again for the heads up!

New User
    I have had mine setup since release. Here is what I am currently doing.

I have the Gyres horizontally on opposite ends of the tank.
    From 6:30AM to 8:30PM They run in Gryre mode at 50% one and one off for 12 minutes, then switch.
    From 8:30PM to 6:30AM They run in Gryre mode at 35% one and one off for 2 minutes, then switch.
    From 8:00PM to 11:59AM every 2 hours run ramp both gyres to 50% for 5 minutes.

#Gyre Left
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet Gyre_CONTROL = OFF Then G_Ramp_Up
    If Time 20:30 to 06:30 Then G_NIGHT_L
    If Outlet Gyre_Random = ON Then G_Low
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

#Gyre Right
    Fallback G_Ramp_Up
    Set G_Ramp_Up
    If Outlet Gyre_CONTROL = OFF Then OFF
    If Time 20:30 to 06:30 Then G_NIGHT_R
    If Outlet Gyre_Random = ON Then G_Low
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

#Virtual Outlet
    #Gyre_CONTROL
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    OSC 000:00/012:00/012:00 Then ON

#Virtual Outlet
    #Gyre_Random
    Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/005:00/240:00 Then ON
    If Time 12:00 to 22:00 Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

#Profile
    #G_Ramp_Up
    Name: G_Ramp_Up
    Type: Ramp
    Ramp time: 2
    Start intensity: 35
    End intensity: 50

#Profile
    #G_Low
    Name: G_Low
    Type: Ramp
    Ramp time: 1
    Start intensity: 30
    End intensity: 50

#Profile
    #G_NIGHT_L
    Synchronize: No
    Divide by ten: No
    Initial off time: 180
    On time: 180
    Off time: 0
    Minimum intensity: 35
    Maximum intensity: 35

#Profile
    #G_NIGHT_R
    Synchronize: Yes
    Divide by ten: No
    Initial off time: 0
    On time: 180
    Off time: 180
    Minimum intensity: 35
    Maximum intensity: 35

Regular Vistor
    Hey, seems that the APEX may have an issue with the following statement "If Time xx:xx to yy:yy Then Profile" when the profile is a "Ramp" profile. No issues with other types of profiles, just the "Ramp" one.

Therefore I had to update the sync/antisync code when running two gyres in opposite sides... Here is more info plus the updated code...

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post82875

I will update the video in the next few days but for now, see the above fix.

Regular Vistor
    I have one gyre, horizontal with the following:

If Time 08:00 to 09:00 Then Gyrerampup
    If Time 09:00 to 11:00 Then gyrepulse
    If Time 11:00 to 15:00 Then gyreconst
    If Time 15:00 to 16:00 Then gyrepulse
    If Time 16:00 to 20:00 Then gyreconst
    If Time 20:00 to 21:00 Then gyrepulse
    If Time 21:00 to 22:00 Then rampdown
    If Time 22:00 to 08:00 T

ramp, const, and pulse do what i want.

I have the cable to enable reverse.

So far I am using the gyre in only one direction. I would like the pump to switch directions every 60 min, say, for ten mintes, running the same set of commands for constant, pulse, etc.

in other words, say I have it pulsing every 2 minutes between 10:00 and 15:00 and constant 08:00 to 10:00 and 15:00 to 17:00. How can I get it every 60 min to change direction for ten min? Can it do this?

Icecap Gyre Interface Module

In the VarSpd outlet for the direction control:

OSC 50:00/10:00/0:00 Then ON
    If Time 17:00 to 09:59 Then OFF

The pump will run in reverse for the last 10 minutes of every hour from 10am to 5pm
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Russ, thank you!

Is varspd2 always reverse for gyre? I do not need to program anything to make it go from forward to reverse? Because that is just a timer code you put there. I also need to know how to make it change direction!

If using the reversing cable, VarSpd1 is the speed control channel and VarSpd2 is the directional control channel. (Or VarSpd3 and VarSpd4 respectively if you plugged the cable into the V3/V4 jack)

When the directional outlet is off, the Gyre runs in forward; if the outlet is on, the pump runs in reverse.

Regular Vistor
    If using the reversing cable, VarSpd1 is the speed control channel and VarSpd2 is the directional control channel. (Or VarSpd3 and VarSpd4 respectively if you plugged the cable into the V3/V4 jack)

When the directional outlet is off, the Gyre runs in forward; if the outlet is on, the pump runs in reverse.
    Sentence one I have read and heard many times.

Sentence two I have not heard put that way...clearly! Thank you!

Regular Vistor
    Ok I thought with the basics I could do this, but it isn't working. I want to run my profile sets when the gyre is running forward, but for 5min every hour I want it to reverse at 100%. I thought the below would work, but alas....

Here is my programming. Can you assist to get it to run what I have in GyreSpd but then reverse for 5 min at 100% every hour?

Virtual Outlet
    RevGyre
    Set OFF
    OSC 055:00/005:00/000:00 Then ON
    If Time 07:59 to 09:01 Then OFF
    If Time 20:59 to 22:00 Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Profiles
    (#8) RevSpdGyre
    sync off
    divide off
    init o
    on o
    off o
    min 100
    max 100

(# 9)RevDirGyre
    sync on
    div off
    init 0
    on 0
    off 0
    min 100
    max 100

Gyrerampup
    ramp

gyrepulse
    pump
    sync off
    div off
    init 0
    on 30
    off 5
    min 0
    max 100

rampdown
    ramp

gyreconst
    pump
    sync off
    div off
    init 0
    on 60
    off 0
    min 90
    max 90

night
    pump
    sync off
    div off
    init 0
    on 60
    off 60
    min 25
    max 25

Var1
    GyreSpd
    If Time 22:00 to 08:00 Then night
    If Outlet RevGyre = ON Then RevSpdGyre
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Var 2
    GyreDir
    If Outlet RevGyre = ON Then RevDirGyre
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Where is the mistake here? I am pretty sure it's in the last set for the GyreDir but can't quite sort it out. As I said, with GyreDir on auto it just runs all time in reverse. With GyreDir off, it runs forward with the profile I set for GyreSpd

Don't use profiles in the direction outlet - it only needs to be on or off.

Regular Vistor
    Don't use profiles in the direction outlet - it only needs to be on or off.
    So for GyreDir
    Set OFF
    If Outlet RevGyre = ON Then RevDirGyre
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

yes?

You could actually repurpose the Rev Gyre virtual outlet and just do this for the Gyre Direction varspd (ON is the same as 100% for varspd outlets)

Set OFF
    OSC 055:00/005:00/000:00 Then ON
    If Time 07:59 to 09:01 Then OFF
    If Time 20:59 to 22:00 Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

There is no value in using a VO here. Just use the programming from the RevGyre VO in the GyreDir VarSpd.

Regular Vistor
    There is no value in using a VO here. Just use the programming from the RevGyre VO in the GyreDir VarSpd.
    Fabulous.

But it will also work as I have it yes?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast