Thread: Lighted Buttons, Break out Boxes and Audrino Boards, OhMY!

NSI Member

Lighted Buttons, Break out Boxes and Audrino Boards, OhMY!

So i previously discussed a project where I wired lighted buttons and made them blink when the mode was activated on the Apex.

See here:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...t-switch/page2

One of the things I found to be annoying was all of the buttons would blink when any one mode was activated rather than the individual color. Obviously the lighting circuits must be separate from the Apex so it was not possible to accomplish this with my current setup... Enter Audrino Board.

So I recently discovered the Audrino board. It has been a fun to mess around with this board. I then had the idea to use the Arduino board to detect the status of the button and then light and blink the individual button if it is pressed.

To accomplish this i still needed the the Apex and lighting circuits to be separate, and would also need to be separate from the Audrino board circuit. So I found some relatively inexpensive buttons that have two NO, NC circuits. In other words the button tells the APEX and Audrino board at the same time is pressed and the Arduino in turn flashes the button.

Attached is a test run. Right now the buttons are mounted on a blank wall plate. I know they are not aligned! This was just for testing. I am still looking for a more permanent enclosure rather than a wall plate.

If you have some basic programming knowledge it's easy to learn how to write code for Audrino board. (The programming language is C#)

Thought I would share, if anyone is interested I can share more info.

Here are pics.

Regular Vistor
    Really like the setup. Do you hany any info on how you wired the Audrino board?

NSI Member
    The buttons I bought specifically have 3 separate circuits/connections independent of each other:

1 12v Lighting circuit
    2 either NO or NC circuits

One of the NO/NC circuits is connected to the Apex I/O.

The other NO/NC are connected to the Audrino board. I used a Audrino micro since it is very small any easily fits in box. When a button is activated both circuits are closed, this signals the Apex and Audrino at the same time that particular circuit is closed. I then have the Audrino board react (in this case by blinking the specific light). The Audrino board Supplies the power for the button lights. You can customize the code to do different things. Code is very simple.

Since I have contacts used to turn on lights when the stand door is opened, I also use it to turn the Audrino board on off via EB outlet when door is opened and closed. The button control to Apex is completely separate and independent of the audrino board. There must be no mixed connections with the Apex or i'm sure bad things will happen.

Hope this makes sense, I have not had coffee yet.

Here is a picture and video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Lg6gMInKa4vp4nB2

Was it necessary? No. But I had fun making this and I like that the button blinks when that button is activated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regular Vistor
    Looks amazing. Will give it a try.

Frequent Visitor
    Neat. It’s really a shame there are no gp outputs for the apex. This is a perfect example of why they should exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Hi there. This is an awesome project. I realise it's a little old now but do you have the code you could share please? I'm still getting to grips with my Arduino and I'm not too hot on the coding.

Also I guess there would be a way to make it flash for a timed period? For example if I use a momentary switch for a 10 minute feed button. After 10mins the apex would turn everything back on and the Arduino would flash the led for 10mins then resume it's solid lit state.

Thanks, Dan

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danman View Post
    Hi there. This is an awesome project. I realise it's a little old now but do you have the code you could share please? I'm still getting to grips with my Arduino and I'm not too hot on the coding.

Also I guess there would be a way to make it flash for a timed period? For example if I use a momentary switch for a 10 minute feed button. After 10mins the apex would turn everything back on and the Arduino would flash the led for 10mins then resume it's solid lit state.

Thanks, Dan

Hey there happy to share. I'm am amateur programmer and on top of that, misc. Arduino projects are the only time I have ever used C.

Here is what I am using:

ARDRINO.txt

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal7887 View Post
    Hey there happy to share. I'm am amateur programmer and on top of that, misc. Arduino projects are the only time I have ever used C.

Here is what I am using:

ARDRINO.txt
    Great thanks so much. Are you running just cable to power the LEDs from the arduino or are you using resistors in the circuits too?

New User
    I don't suppose you have a schematic or an image that is a bit clearer with how you have it all wired up. I am struggling with that part about which wire goes where. Thanks very much.