Thread: Do I Need another EB8?

Regular Vistor

Do I Need another EB8?

Greetings all - first post here and newbie to the reefing world. I'm in the process of setting up my first tank (120G) and realized that I have more than 8 items that are going to need power. Quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information to absorb about getting everything to work right initially, but if I take my time I'm confident I'll get there and hopefully without a major screw up...

So for my first (of many, I'm sure) post my question is do I need a 2nd EB8? I've read some bits and pieces that maybe I don't and can utilize a "normal" power strip for items that don't need a dedicated controlled outlet if they can be controlled otherwise. On the other hand, if having another unit makes sense in the long run I don't mind making it right from the beginning.

Here's a list of my equipment thus far:

(All to be run off dedicated 20A GFCI protected circuit)

(2) Eco tech MP40 Powerheads (with WXM module)
    (2) AI Hydra 52 (with AWM module)
    (1) Return Pump
    (1) Skimmer Pump
    (1) Refugium Light
    (1) Tunze ATO
    (2) 300W Heaters
    (1) DOS
    (1) LED light strip (for cabinet lighting)

Thanks!

The Vortechs and Hydras don't need to be plugged into an EB. They are fully controllable without switching on/off power.

The DOS should not be plugged into an EB.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks - that makes sense. It looks like I can get by without another unit.

I count 7 that actually need EB8 outlets. A second one never hurts for redundancy (if your GFCI trips, you don't want to have nothing on).

Regular Vistor
    Zombie, does your count include everything but the power heads, lights, and DOS? I had planned on putting a manual switch on the cabinet lights so I'll throw that one on a different strip as well.

As for the redundancy, I hear you but I'm only going to have the one GFCi circuit so if the outlet trips that's everything.

Yeah. You guessed correct on my count.

If you can't add redundancy in outlets. I would at least get a small UPS to power your router and apex so you will be notified if power goes out or the GFCI trips.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the clarification- although it won't help if the outlet trips, I'm fortunate enough to have a whole home standby generator with automatic transfer switch. Living in southern Louisiana, it's almost a necessity for hurricane season.

But now you have me thinking - if I'm running a new dedicated circuit for the tank, it's pretty easy to pull 12/3 instead of 12/2 wire and install two GFCI outlets (each on their own circuit) side by side. Saying I went this direction, do I really gain that much redundancy (assuming that if one outlet gets wet, the other one does too and they both trip)? And if I did, how would you recommend I split up the equipment?

I still have to run the circuit, so everything is pretty much a blank slate at this point - any pointers based on past experience and lessons learned are very welcome!
    Last edited by Rufnek100; 08-29-2015 at 06:56. Reason: Clarity

Frequent Visitor
    Id run 3 20A circuits if I could. I've got only one right now and it scares me a little. I'd make each one a quad box and have them a couple feet apart.

I also put an outside cover under my stand in the wall outlet rated for wet location use to shield the outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I wish I could run even one dedicated circuit to my stand... I've got my whole living room on a circuit basically.

If you are able to split it into two outlets, put half your heating, lighting, and flow on one circuit and the other half on the rest.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufnek100 View Post
    Saying I went this direction, do I really gain that much redundancy (assuming that if one outlet gets wet, the other one does too and they both trip)?
    I dont think the main concern is the outlet getting wet and tripping. I think the concern is some piece of equipment tripping the circuit due to overloading, shorting, or some other malfunction. In this case, having critical equipment split across two circuits definitely gives you redundancy.
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

^this. I personally have experience crashing a 3 year old tank because there was a single point failure (the GFCI) that cut out all life support for the tank for 2 days before I realized it when one of my power supplies shorted to ground. If I had either put the apex/router on a UPS to alert me of the issue or I had separated life support to two separate GFCIs, it would have saves several thousand dollars worth of livestock.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The Vortechs and Hydras don't need to be plugged into an EB. They are fully controllable without switching on/off power.

The DOS should not be plugged into an EB.
    Just in process of setting up apex and looking for info before setting up.

Am I right in saying that vortechs are wireless therefore don't need to connect to EB?

Why would you not plug DOS into EB?

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The DOS doesn't need to be plugged into an EB. It is controlled 100% through aquabus and the power supply is just there to give it 24V power.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for all the opinions - two dedicated GFCI circuits is what I'm going to do. Now I need to figure out if I have room for another EB8 in my stand in order to allow for the redundancy.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The DOS doesn't need to be plugged into an EB. It is controlled 100% through aquabus and the power supply is just there to give it 24V power.
    Ah, makes sense, many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    In thinking this through a little more - if I add another EB8 does it really matter if I plug my lights, powerheads, and DOS into them? I fear I'm running out of space in my stand compartment and two EB8s along with all the other modules, etc is going to be pretty tight.

In order to apply the redundancy as discussed above and split everything evenly across two energy bars I think I'll have to end up plugging in some of the items that don't "have" to be controlled by the EB8. Basically, it would be overkill and utilizing the controlled outlets as a power strip by programming those outlets to be turned on all the time - but this would save space by not having to install additional "dumb" power strips.

Any pitfalls to setting up this way?

Frequent Visitor
    It's ok. Eb4's are slightly smaller also.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufnek100 View Post
    In thinking this through a little more - if I add another EB8 does it really matter if I plug my lights, powerheads, and DOS into them? I fear I'm running out of space in my stand compartment and two EB8s along with all the other modules, etc is going to be pretty tight.

In order to apply the redundancy as discussed above and split everything evenly across two energy bars I think I'll have to end up plugging in some of the items that don't "have" to be controlled by the EB8. Basically, it would be overkill and utilizing the controlled outlets as a power strip by programming those outlets to be turned on all the time - but this would save space by not having to install additional "dumb" power strips.

Any pitfalls to setting up this way?
    Im thinking about a 2nd eb8 as well as saw this thread.

I'll say I like the idea of having a 2nd one incase I have an issue with one- so I'd never be down that way. I could always run one while the other was fixed or replaced. A bit paranoid but better than pulling out the old power strips and timers...

I have a 2nd tank partially controlled by the apex- wouldn't mind adding the rest. If you have a hospital tank or 2nd tank, or may get a 2nd tank, a 2nd eb8 is great.

Also, now this is just me enjoying technology, once I have a 2nd one, I'll hook the room light next to the tank up and have it shut off when I go to sunset with my lights... I already have a fan in my canopy run by the apex. So I admit I just like the concept of a timer outlet with internet control and precision with other outlets. So my lighting in the tank and room will be apex controlled LOL... I mean you could have your stereo play jazz when the lights come on if you wanted... Awesome!

And you can always wait and buy it once you are up and running! No need to buy it right away.

New User
    Excuse me: I am a real newbie at this. All my plugs are taken up on my EB8 except for one. I have just purchased a Breakout Box. I want to install Under Cabinet lighting. My question is: Does the power must be plugged into the EB8 to control the ON/OFF of the doors with a magnetic door switch?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyR View Post
    Does the power must be plugged into the EB8 to control the ON/OFF of the doors with a magnetic door switch?
    Yes. The BoB simply senses whether the switch is open or closed.

You’d program the EnergyBar outlet like this:

Fallback Off
    Set OFF
    If DoorSw OPEN Then ON

(Assuming that the magnetic switch is open when the door is open)
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.