Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Neptune Return Pump

Classic User
    I do have multiple large drains, for redundancy, with sufficient total capacity and my sump has the capacity to hold all of the "drain" potential of my entire system when all feed and return pumps are off.

Classic User
    I would like to replace all of my EcoTech Vectra L1 pumps with equivalently sized COR pumps, if only Neptune Systems would offer them to us.

Actually, I would like to see something closer to 2700 gph at 6 ft of head.

So, Terrence...

When will your fIrst COR pumps be released?

When will you blow away the L1? ... Please!!

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    I do have multiple large drains, for redundancy, with sufficient total capacity and my sump has the capacity to hold all of the "drain" potential of my entire system when all feed and return pumps are off.
    Let me clarify. I have redundant sets of large diameter drain pipes. Each set has the gravity flow capacity to handle my entire sump throughput. Furthermore each set has its own internal redundancy plus an emergency drain.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You might want to re-run those numbers. As I mentioned above, the flow through the sump should never exceed the maximum gravitational fed flow of a single drain line (if you have two). Unless you are running 3" drain pipes, that's a recipe for disaster.
    I've got 4x 1.5" drains on my system. I like to run a lot of flow through my system to ensure my filtration is always receiving a fresh supply of "dirty" water.

I'm still interested in running the COR as a second return pump, but at its current size it can't replace what I'm running now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Anything at all on a ballpark price, release date, features that can be done with the 1Link, specs on input and output pipe size?

Regular Vistor
    Why the hate? - The Ecotech Vectra M1 came out with 7500lph and for most people its more than adequate. I run a 500l tank with a manifold and i don't set it above 60% .. plenty of extra oomph if needed ..

The COR will have more than enough give for most tanks.

Whats to say a larger one wont appear one day .. for now, great start i think ..

Frequent Visitor
    I agree

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DansReefYouTube View Post
    Why the hate? - The Ecotech Vectra M1 came out with 7500lph and for most people its more than adequate. I run a 500l tank with a manifold and i don't set it above 60% .. plenty of extra oomph if needed ..

The COR will have more than enough give for most tanks.

Whats to say a larger one wont appear one day .. for now, great start i think ..
    i own a L1 and i need to waste one power point for this pump on the energy bar , if it have been able to be controlled by WXM , i would not have to do that

Hi all ! I am a noob in the process of starting up my first reef tank as per my thread here . As could be seen I opted for a pair of SP4's as my returns to provide the required flow(total) and allow for some redundency ,as well as an SP2 to feed my manifold . I have been following this thread for awhile now...... not attempting to bash here but for the life of me I cannot understand the fuss about the COR ! can someone explain whats up ? what are the advantages , what will make someone (me) switch to the COR , what can the COR do that is so special and desirable that cannot be achieved with proper programming , How will it blow all competitors out of the water? will it take an APEX based system to a new Unprecedented level ?

Classic User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumaurier7 View Post
    I cannot understand the fuss about the COR ! can someone explain whats up ? what are the advantages , what will make someone (me) switch to the COR , what can the COR do that is so special and desirable that cannot be achieved with proper programming?
    What the COR pump can do is to integrate fully featured dc pumping capabilities into our Apex monitoring and control systems, advancing the degree of coherence we can achieve in operating our aquariums.

The "fuss" is not about the COR. Much of it is about EcoTech refusing to support integration of its new Vectra dc pumps (M1 and L1) with the Apex controller.

These Vectra pumps are considered by many experienced aquarists to be very fine dc pumps and we would like to use them in projects we already have underway or are about to start. But their only interface with an Apex control system will be their power plugs, unlike their very popular sibling MPxx powerheads and excellent Radion LED lights which are pretty much fully integrated with Apex so we can control their features that make them so popular. The only thing we can do with the Vectra pumps is to turn them on and off.

That is a hardware interface shortfall that cannot be overcome with any amount of programming, proper or otherwise. Being actively barred from using the features of Vectra pumps in our systems is an enormous disappointment to those of us who want to use them, but only as fully featured components integrated into our Apex control systems.

Full integration with Apex is the center of mass of the concern many of us have in much of what we do with our aquarium systems these days. We have chosen the Apex as the basis for integrating the monitoring and control of our expensive aquarium systems into coherent systems. We are trying to move away from the eclectic mess of multiple controllers that kept us from cohering our aquarium systems in the past. This move by EcoTech pushes us back in our ability to advance this goal of system coherence that we are striving for. That is a big fuss.

Neptune Systems' COR pump will support that goal. But it is not yet available. We need it to be available. People who need return pumps right now are caught in a squeeze by EcoTech. That is a situation that people are fussing about. When the COR is released many of the people will be released from that squeeze.

Additionally, some of us need larger capacity COR pumps than has been announced. Until Neptune Systems announces adequately larger pumps, we are stuck with a frustrating conflict of desires. On the one hand if we buy the L1 we give up on our system's coherence. On the other hand if we hold out for Neptune to release a larger capacity COR pump model our projects become stymied. That is what some of us are fussing about because this situation is blocking our anility to move ahead on projects that are important to us.

For many of us, it would be equally good either for EcoTech to back off of its obstructive position of not cooperating on integrating their Vectra pumps with Apex or for Neptune Systems to release the COR that has been announced and to announce a larger capacity version(s) and get them into our hands quickly so we can move forward on our projects. That would end the fuss.

I may not be "an experienced aquarist " but I still cannot see the need for fancy features in a return pump! It is what it is , a return pump . All it needs to do is move water and stop when it's feeding time ,different flow patterns are not necessary except for the re-circulation mode and my power heads are already handling the task .At the risk of coming across rude, the issue you have with the manufacturer not making their product APEX ready is a null and void one .Integration and coherence is important to me too but where it matters .For my system , changes in flow intensity and pattern are handled by three WAVs and 2 GYREs all controlled by my apex, this is where I see the need and importance for complete integration and control. Flow,lighting,feeding etc. are dynamic elements as opposed to a static return flow which must remain constant (for the sake of the Bean animal overflow and the skimmer operation ) and can be achieved by any properly sized pump on the market .

Adjustable return pumps are no different than flow pumps before they started being controllable.
    Technology is advancing and not having the ability to control a brand new DC return pump would be the same as buying a wav today that only produces a constant flow.
    consider this.
    you run the adjustable DC pump at 2/3 speed and your FMM shows 1000gph. As time goes on the FMM shows flow is decreasing... You up the pump output automatically to maintain 1000 gph. Skimmer and bean overflow like it....

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have but I am questioning the necessity, is it a NEED to have feature?if I were in the market for a couple return pumps and they were available for purchase I would defiantly consider them all depending on price! As of now the pricing hasn't been released as you know, but if the WAVs are $500 I'm guessing a pair (since two will be needed) will be at least $750too! I already have a 1LINK and I am patiently awaiting the release of the flow sensors! this I can use , this is worthwhile to me! So if the flow falls ,as you described ,l can pull and service either or both pumps or even replace or upgrade them (SP6)for a f action of the expected COR price.Now question is, how much is the enthusiast willing to pay for a nice to have feature.

I also have a PAR and ASM , which ever the flow sensor connects too!

New User
    looks great

New User
    I am starting a new 540 liter reef tank in Europe and here everybody is onto this Vectra pump.
    shops and forum advise recomand me to let down my idea for the Apex just because they say the big things of he last few years is the Vectra pump.
    Neptune should release the COR pump or give an estimate delivery to the market....because I see a big bunch of guy not even looking to apex just due to this incompatibility.

Neptune Return Pump

If it's not ready why advertise

Frequent Visitor
    Create a buzz. That's why you advertise

New User
    So I understand better why they made the Vectra not Apex compatible as a lot of guys will go reeflink in 2016 to use the great possibility of this pump.
    I don't compare the two systems....Apex is far better for me.
    but this incompatibility is hurting as Vectra change the way we are reefing....

Quote Originally Posted by dmatt56 View Post
    Create a buzz. That's why you advertise
    More like create frustration when the product release date is withheld and appears that it's actually a long way off.

Neptune learned from the wav. They got a lot of people poed when they said the wav would be out in spring but wasn't released until months later.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

New User
    COR WAS ANNOUNCE THE 4 sept 2015...
    we are 7 month after...

Think it's better they sew the seed as they say than hold it back to the release.... There is a well know computer company that hold information back until the last minute and people get more frustrated that they purchase equipment only to see 3 weeks later that the newer version has come out.. Just me but I would rather know that something is on it's way, yes is frustrating that its taking it's time to get here, I needed a pump so purchased at cheap unit until Apex release theirs and I'll make a decision then

Regular Vistor
    I've been reading through this thread and a few others but have a question I haven't seen answered yet (and I know there's a decent chance I just missed it): Will the COR pump be in-sump only or can it be run externally? Or does anyone even know yet?

Frequent Visitor
    It can be either.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast