Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Neptune Return Pump

New User
    that would be amazing

Frequent Visitor
    Yea next month would be perfect

I doubt full release end of next month considering they typically do beta testing for 1 to 2 months before a major release and that hasn't started yet. I do expect they will issue a firm release date at macna though.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I believe the beta testers are getting pumps soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Getting a new sump set up ready for my Red Sea 450 and was considering either keeping my Jebao or waiting for the COR pump. Anyone have any idea what the specs are on the new COR pumps?

NSI Member
    My COR-20 is due to arrive on Thursday, very excited to start testing out the pump and getting it plumbed into my system.

Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    I believe the beta testers are getting pumps soon.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Anyone have the flow specs for the 15 and 20 models?

180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post

Anyone have the prices?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post

I might be wrong but I think the cor 20 does 2000 gph so I’m assuming the cor 15 does 1500 gph

Frequent Visitor
    These pumps look pretty good. I understand they're shooting for the larger volume segment with mid-sized pumps 1st but I hope they look to make some in the 3k to 5k GPH range in the future.
    I was selected in the NSI program for these but they're too small for my setup so I didn't respond.

Frequent Contributor
    Yes. Those are the numbers. Remember, the numbers given by all manufacturers are best case - zero head.

Most people are over-pumped and under-plumbed.

Neptune Return Pump

Nice. I'm pretty sure that is an increase from the original specs of the pump, I remember thinking the original specs made the pump uselessly undersized. Not many players in the 3-5k GPH dc pump market and those that are cost $1k+ so I think that's wishful thinking, 1500-2000 gph is a great start. 2000gph is more than the varios 6 so this is definitely not a undersized pump.

Frequent Contributor

Neptune Return Pump

Specs haven't changed.

The reality that no one seems to grasp real well is that most people's configurations of plumbing mean that they are likely getting around half or less the "rated" number. Furthermore, when calculating head height, most simply look at the amount of vertical. Huge mistake. The vast majority of systems are under plumbed. People are focusing on what they think are big issues (like schedule of pipe, 90s vs. 45s, etc. when what they really should be looking at is pipe diameter. Instead they go out looking for a bigger pump. Now their 2000gph pump that was doing 700gph actual is replaced with a 4000gph pump that will push 900-1000 through the same pipe.

The fact is that a 2000gph pump has more than enough flow for the average aquarium (around 1000-1300gph) - when properly plumbed.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Yes. Those are the numbers. Remember, the numbers given by all manufacturers are best case - zero head.

Most people are over-pumped and under-plumbed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Terence.

My system is a Marineland 220 with a 120 sump, total volume approx 265. The return pump is a Jebao DCT 15000 plumbed 1-1/2" for about 16" up to a 1-1/2 Wye. From there the straight end of the Wye exits to 1-1/4 flex PVC and runs about 6' to return to the DT on one side. The angled end of the Wye connects to a 1" manifold to run UV & media reactors. With the pump on full and the manifold in use I have about 1200~1400Gph running through the DT.

I've been looking at the newer Jebao DCP 18000 or 20000 as a replacement and using the DCT 15000 as a backup. This would give me some room to make adjustments in the output as things are added/removed from the manifold and get the volume through the DT up to around 1600Gph or more. There is one spot in my pluming that could use improvement and that's right at the DT returns. I have a Tee feeding two Loc-Line. It's flowing into the Tee instead of through the Tee. I figure I'm losing a good bit there and I plan to correct it.

If Jebao's numbers are inflated 10 to 15% it's still a good bit above 2000Gph, with the 15000 at 3300 to 3500Gph with zero head.
    If Neptune were to come out with a pump in the 4000Gph range I would definitely be interested.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post

My system is a Marineland 220 with a 120 sump, total volume approx 265. The return pump is a Jebao DCT 15000 plumbed 1-1/2" for about 16" up to a 1-1/2 Wye. From there the straight end of the Wye exits to 1-1/4 flex PVC and runs about 6' to return to the DT on one side. The angled end of the Wye connects to a 1" manifold to run UV & media reactors. With the pump on full and the manifold in use I have about 1200~1400Gph running through the DT.

I've been looking at the newer Jebao DCP 18000 or 20000 as a replacement and using the DCT 15000 as a backup. This would give me some room to make adjustments in the output as things are added/removed from the manifold and get the volume through the DT up to around 1600Gph or more. There is one spot in my pluming that could use improvement and that's right at the DT returns. I have a Tee feeding two Loc-Line. It's flowing into the Tee instead of through the Tee. I figure I'm losing a good bit there and I plan to correct it.

If Jebao's numbers are inflated 10 to 15% it's still a good bit above 2000Gph, with the 15000 at 3300 to 3500Gph with zero head.
    If Neptune were to come out with a pump in the 4000Gph range I would definitely be interested.
    What I wrote was by no means pointed at your set up specifically. And, given the info you just shared, I would say stick with what you have until it dies. My opinion is that you do not need more than 1400gph going through your filtration. (assuming that is a real number you have measured either via a flow meter or a bucket test).

Instead, take the manifold off of the return and use a separate smaller DC pump for that purpose. That will get you the small increase you desire as well as allow you to have a potential backup for your main return pump. Just get something that will give you enough flow for the display in a crunch and plumb it the same at the output so that it is a quick drop in when something goes wrong (one can usually do just fine for a few days without the stuff on their manifold while they wait for their replacement pump)

Frequent Visitor
    This may help to demonstrate flow rates through certain diameter piping.
    flow.jpg

But you also need to take into consideration loss due to elbows, gate valves, unions, etc.

Frequent Contributor
    Yes, of course you do. That is what most people understand. What they do not understand - and what is usually counterintuitive to them - is that larger pipe is better, not worse, for increasing the flow rate.

Frequent Visitor
    Yay. Mine just arrived via FedEx. Now to go grab it from the shipping manager and kiss it and love it and squeeze it and hug it and call it George.

On a serious note though, The threads on the COR, are they BPT or NPT? And as I have an Apex Classic, what type of functionality do I lose/gain without a 1LINK module?

My COR is still moist
    20170815_120053.jpg
    20170815_120155.jpg
    20170815_120221.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Specs haven't changed.
    RB article linked in the first post of this thread puts it at 1850 gph (vs currently spec'd 2000). Not a huge difference (I was likely remembering the 1000 gph at 6ft head from the RB article) but looks slightly increased from original numbers.

NSI Member
    Lucky! mine is due in on Thursday, im hoping the height on it is close to the height of my VarioS pump so that i can just swap it out without messing too much with my plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Debacle View Post
    Yay. Mine just arrived via FedEx. Now to go grab it from the shipping manager and kiss it and love it and squeeze it and hug it and call it George.

On a serious note though, The threads on the COR, are they BPT or NPT? And as I have an Apex Classic, what type of functionality do I lose/gain without a 1LINK module?

My COR is still moist
    20170815_120053.jpg
    20170815_120155.jpg
    20170815_120221.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post

Keep in mind the COR is a higher head pump, meaning that even though the Jebao is a 3500 gph pump you will get more like 2000 when everything is said and done. The COR on the other hand is likely to get 1500-1700 gph

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

NSI Member

It’s real! They do exist!

Sill haven't heard anything about the price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What size outlet?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast