Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAV Intensity

WAV Intensity

With a few of us using WAV what the intensity your using on your tank? I am on a 150 Long and I am not going above 70%.

Frequent Contributor
    I have a 65G tank that is 36" long and my max setting is 45%
    Jon

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    I gave the intensity anywhere from 40% to 100% on my 180

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frequent Visitor
    I have a 150 and don't go above 70%

Frequent Visitor
    63"L x 31.5"W 200 gallon. Mostly using Mavericks. 70% peak.

I had 18 WAVs on a 180. It was a sight to behold!
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    At 100%....Are you trying to create a Tsunami ....hahahahaha
    Jon

Good way to flip over the TITANIC !
    Alain

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    I just bought these for use in my 73 gallon Red Sea Reefer 350 (48" long tank), and these things create a virtual hurricane. Even at 1% my anemone and corals look like they're hanging on for dear life. I see one post from a 65gal 36" tank running these at 40% and I can't imagine that the live rock won't move around. The first time it went into Pulse mode on the "default" program that came with the device it created a wave that sloshed over the tank wall and dumped a couple of gallons on the floor before I could stop it!

I'm afraid these are too much for my tank. I'm probably going to have to return them, which breaks my heart. I love the functionality and programability with my Apex, but with only 1% still turning 1800+ RPMs, I need a WAV-mini. If there is any way to tune down the RPMs so that I can get a range that is appropriate for my tank, I'd sure love to hear about it!

Disappointed,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by menkalos View Post
    I just bought these for use in my 73 gallon Red Sea Reefer 350 (48" long tank), and these things create a virtual hurricane. Even at 1% my anemone and corals look like they're hanging on for dear life. I see one post from a 65gal 36" tank running these at 40% and I can't imagine that the live rock won't move around. The first time it went into Pulse mode on the "default" program that came with the device it created a wave that sloshed over the tank wall and dumped a couple of gallons on the floor before I could stop it!

I'm afraid these are too much for my tank. I'm probably going to have to return them, which breaks my heart. I love the functionality and programability with my Apex, but with only 1% still turning 1800+ RPMs, I need a WAV-mini. If there is any way to tune down the RPMs so that I can get a range that is appropriate for my tank, I'd sure love to hear about it!

Disappointed,
    Dave
    Try pointing the flow at the front glass like Jon and I are doing , the flow will be a bit more distributed . I doubt much that a 70 gallons tank is too little for those unless you would have extra sensitive corals . Any pumps shooting directly on corals is not a good things . Try to adjust the flow in a different direction .
    Alain

Frequent Contributor

Disappointed,
    Dave
    Yes I have two Wavs running on my 65G with NO rocks moving around....did have to glue the corals in place, but that should have been done anyhow...lol

I had to adjust my hitting the glass and that also gives you a wider flow pattern...I love my WAV pumps....

Don't jump ship yet I had to mess with my settings and placement for over a week to get all dialed in the way I want it and I still tweak it here & there...just be patient and start real low on the power...
    Jon

They are quite powerful. I have a 125g without much in it and I run mine at 15% max. Quite a nice distribution at feeding time. Everything in the tank gets excited!
    Regards
    Michael

I like flow. I think I may have found my Christmas gift to myself this year. I run my RW8's at 100% and would like a little more. Getting a 1" wave with my rw8's, but these are on my radar with all the great reviews.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Current: 120 Gallon Peninsula DIY system.

Frequent Contributor
    I guess I should have called these the TDL WAV

Seriously though, when we were deciding what we were going to do when we created the WAV, we had some very specific criteria. It had to have the most (directional) flow, lowest power, and quietest motor of a pump no bigger than what you now see in the WAV.

Two should be fine in a 75g with them pointed at the glass. Once your tank fills in more you will be glad to have the headroom to up the flow.

Frequent Contributor
    Oh, also run one in inverse mode as that will effectively halve the total flow in the aquarium.

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Oh, also run one in inverse mode as that will effectively halve the total flow in the aquarium.
    Thanks Terence (and the others who replied). I have both of them in the back corners, on the back walls, actually, pointing at the front wall about a quarter of the way in from the sides.

How do I put one in "inverse mode"? That sounds like a great idea. I haven't gotten a real handle on programming these yet.

THANKS!!!

WAV Intensity

How do I put one in "inverse mode"? That sounds like a great idea. I haven't gotten a real handle on programming these yet.
    Inverse is one of the available modes. Refer to the WAV QuickStart Guide or click on the Fusion help button while on a WAV wizard page.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    Thanks, Russ! I'll check it out as soon as I get home. As much as I want to dive in now, I have work I'm supposed to be doing!

Thanks, Russ! I'll check it out as soon as I get home. As much as I want to dive in now, I have work I'm supposed to be doing!
    Work is good too and it permit us to get some new reef toys !
    Alain

Video please.

Frequent Visitor
    I love my WAVs, but I do have one request. I'd like to see what mode the pumps are in on the tile in the dashboard. It would help me understand the Flo number a bit better I think. Anyone else??

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Video please.
    I second that That would be awesome to watch.
    Current: 120 Gallon Peninsula DIY system.

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    Ok. So I got home, set the left pump up as follows:
    Capture1.PNGCapture3.PNG
    I then set up the right pump as follows:
    Capture2.PNGCapture4.PNG
    (Yes, I know I have a few unneeded and redundant points there, but I wanted to keep them parallel)

If I understand this correctly, both pumps will basically follow the same profile, but with then mirroring each other. If one is at max for a profile, the other is at minimum. Except for midnight til 6am when the WAVs are off and the only circulation is my return pump and my two small Jebaos in the back bottom running fairly slowly.

Do I understand that correctly? Any recommendations? Both pumps are on the back wall near the corners, aimed at the front wall about a 1/4 of the way in from their own ends. It still looks to me like it's now typhoon season in there and I wonder if the fish will die from exhaustion. But I'm new at this and hope you all are steering me in the right direction!

Neptune folks - I'd sure love it if you updated the firmware to enable the WAVs to run more slowly!!! For a relatively small tank, 1800 RPMs is just too much for a minimum speed (in my opinion)!

Thanks all for your feedback and opinions!

Dont worry about fish dying , they will not , i run mine at 75 % in threstles mode to clean the tank after feeding and i think they love that ! You will get used to have flow , i think you are more frightened then your critters ! LOL . OK on the serious side : running the slave pump in inverse mode will effectivly make this pump run the same profile as the master but in an opposite way regarding the intensity . When one is low the other is high and vice versa . Running mirror will make the pumps run the same profiles matching both the power and the behavior at the same time .

PS : It would be nice for you to set you FLO tile and compare flow with some other guys here , that will also give you a good opinion of what is wrong and right as far as flow is concerned .
    Alain

Ok. So I got home, set the left pump up as follows:
    Capture1.PNGCapture3.PNG
    I then set up the right pump as follows:
    Capture2.PNGCapture4.PNG
    (Yes, I know I have a few unneeded and redundant points there, but I wanted to keep them parallel)

If I understand this correctly, both pumps will basically follow the same profile, but with then mirroring each other. If one is at max for a profile, the other is at minimum. Except for midnight til 6am when the WAVs are off and the only circulation is my return pump and my two small Jebaos in the back bottom running fairly slowly.

Do I understand that correctly? Any recommendations? Both pumps are on the back wall near the corners, aimed at the front wall about a 1/4 of the way in from their own ends. It still looks to me like it's now typhoon season in there and I wonder if the fish will die from exhaustion. But I'm new at this and hope you all are steering me in the right direction!

Neptune folks - I'd sure love it if you updated the firmware to enable the WAVs to run more slowly!!! For a relatively small tank, 1800 RPMs is just too much for a minimum speed (in my opinion)!

Thanks all for your feedback and opinions!
    It's a typhoon in there cause you have the right pump at 100% part of the day. Knock that down below 40 and it will become a calm breeze. Updating firmware cannot change the WAV minimum speed. That is inherent in the hardware and can only be solved by them offering a nano version (which would be a wonderful idea BTW).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast