Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WAV Intensity

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It's a typhoon in there cause you have the right pump at 100% part of the day. Knock that down below 40 and it will become a calm breeze. Updating firmware cannot change the WAV minimum speed. That is inherent in the hardware and can only be solved by them offering a nano version (which would be a wonderful idea BTW).
    Wrong , the right pump is in INVERSE mode at 100 % so it will reflect the master correctly .
    Alain

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by menkalos View Post
    Ok. So I got home, set the left pump up as follows:
    Attachment 4798Attachment 4799
    I then set up the right pump as follows:
    Attachment 4800Attachment 4801
    (Yes, I know I have a few unneeded and redundant points there, but I wanted to keep them parallel)

If I understand this correctly, both pumps will basically follow the same profile, but with then mirroring each other. If one is at max for a profile, the other is at minimum. Except for midnight til 6am when the WAVs are off and the only circulation is my return pump and my two small Jebaos in the back bottom running fairly slowly.

No the are not mirroring as that would be identical as the master what you described is Inverse where one pump is at 100% and the other is at 1%.....The way you have your constant start at 0% at midnight on your left pump and it will get up to 5% at 6:00, .....BUT your right pump will go from 0% at midnight and ramp up to 100% Constant at 6am......that could be trouble????....

If you want the Right pump to follow inverse of the left pump change your graph to a start point 0:00 of 100% Inverse and end the graph at 23:59 of 100% Inverse ...this way your right pump will be always inverse of the Left pump

Do I understand that correctly? Any recommendations? Both pumps are on the back wall near the corners, aimed at the front wall about a 1/4 of the way in from their own ends. It still looks to me like it's now typhoon season in there and I wonder if the fish will die from exhaustion. But I'm new at this and hope you all are steering me in the right direction!

Neptune folks - I'd sure love it if you updated the firmware to enable the WAVs to run more slowly!!! For a relatively small tank, 1800 RPMs is just too much for a minimum speed (in my opinion)!

Thanks all for your feedback and opinions!
    noted above....

So in other words just use Inverse in the programming of the Right pump
    Jon

Ok. So I got home, set the left pump up as follows:
    Attachment 4798Attachment 4799
    I then set up the right pump as follows:
    Attachment 4800Attachment 4801
    (Yes, I know I have a few unneeded and redundant points there, but I wanted to keep them parallel)

If I understand this correctly, both pumps will basically follow the same profile, but with then mirroring each other. If one is at max for a profile, the other is at minimum. Except for midnight til 6am when the WAVs are off and the only circulation is my return pump and my two small Jebaos in the back bottom running fairly slowly.

Do I understand that correctly? Any recommendations? Both pumps are on the back wall near the corners, aimed at the front wall about a 1/4 of the way in from their own ends. It still looks to me like it's now typhoon season in there and I wonder if the fish will die from exhaustion. But I'm new at this and hope you all are steering me in the right direction!

Neptune folks - I'd sure love it if you updated the firmware to enable the WAVs to run more slowly!!! For a relatively small tank, 1800 RPMs is just too much for a minimum speed (in my opinion)!

Thanks all for your feedback and opinions!
    Re-looking at your programming again , my recommendations is the set the slave pump INVERSE all the time and just adjust your programming on the master pump .
    Alain

Frequent Contributor
    Here is how I have my right pump:

Capture.PNG
    Jon

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It's a typhoon in there cause you have the right pump at 100% part of the day. Knock that down below 40 and it will become a calm breeze.
    It's definitely not running at 100% - The right pump is at 100% only when it is in Inverse mode, which the instructions say that means that it will be 100% of whatever the left pump is doing, so it matches the left pumps intensity - which is NEVER 100%

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    Will that even work when I have the left set at Constant NN%? What is the inverse of Constant? And if I want the pumps to both shut down between midnight and 6am, how does the 100% Inverse work with that? I don't want one pump off and the other running at 100%

Frequent Contributor
    It's definitely not running at 100% - The right pump is at 100% only when it is in Inverse mode, which the instructions say that means that it will be 100% of whatever the left pump is doing, so it matches the left pumps intensity - which is NEVER 100%
    This is true but you have from 00:00 to 06:00 in constant and with this programming it will ramp from 1% to 100% at 06:00 and in reverse from 21:30 it will be 100% ramp down to 1% at 23:59
    Jon

Remove the constant point both at the beginning and at the end of the schedule and set Malibu 0 % at the beginning and Mavericks 0% at the end , and set the slave as Jon had show you and all will work perfectly ,
    Alain

Beginning Reef Aquarist
    Ok. Removed the start and end points for both pumps. They now start at 4 and stop at 10, ramping up and down and going back and forth between malibu and mavericks. The right pump also starts at 4 and stops at 10, but shows 100% Inverse for the entire time.

We'll see how that does.

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Frequent Contributor
    Ok. Removed the start and end points for both pumps. They now start at 4 and stop at 10, ramping up and down and going back and forth between malibu and mavericks. The right pump also starts at 4 and stops at 10, but shows 100% Inverse for the entire time.

We'll see how that does.

Thanks for the input guys!!!
    Keep us posted and even tho you have 100% inverse on the right pump just like I have when you look at the percentage of the WAV pump it will change percentages like mine below...

Capture.PNG
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I guess I should have called these the TDL WAV

Seriously though, when we were deciding what we were going to do when we created the WAV, we had some very specific criteria. It had to have the most (directional) flow, lowest power, and quietest motor of a pump no bigger than what you now see in the WAV.

Two should be fine in a 75g with them pointed at the glass. Once your tank fills in more you will be glad to have the headroom to up the flow.
    Well also, there was a robust set of products out there to use as benchmarks for product design / development.

I remember when I got my first Tunze Stream 6000s and then 6100s. There was nothing that could replicate the flow and control at that time. I loved my 6105s (circa 2008), but Tunze has not moved the bar since the second generation streams. My 6105s were aging....I am an Aquacontroller guy from way back, so I went with the WAVs. I hope they hold up over time and I will be interested to see Tunze's next powerheads....

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    Try pointing the flow at the front glass like Jon and I are doing , the flow will be a bit more distributed . I doubt much that a 70 gallons tank is too little for those unless you would have extra sensitive corals . Any pumps shooting directly on corals is not a good things . Try to adjust the flow in a different direction .

Do you have these mounted to the sides or on the back of the tank and pointed towards the front glass? I too am trying to find a good position that won't treat my corals like their in a Maxell commercial

Frequent Contributor
    I have mine on the rear upper side corners directed to the opposite corners of the glass tank

Jon
    Jon

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    I have mine on the rear upper side corners directed to the opposite corners of the glass tank

Jon

That's exactly what i was going to try next. My FLO numbers still refuse to go below 3.7, that's even with it both pumps ramping from 0% to 20% between 000-0700. So i'm thinking positioning will be key for me. I've got a 120 48x24x24.

Frequent Contributor
    Mine now at 3% is a Flo of 3.9.....my combined Flo ranges from 5.5 - 6.3

So don't worry trying to figure out the algorithm that Neptune came up with to come up with Flo values...

I have a 36" 65g tank

Jon
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Zechirian View Post
    Do you have these mounted to the sides or on the back of the tank and pointed towards the front glass? I too am trying to find a good position that won't treat my corals like their in a Maxell commercial
    I had mine positionned like Jon at the beginning but now they are about middle height and about 2/3 front to back and pointing at the front glass . Having mine on top did not gave me enough flow on the bottom . My tank is 72/32/24 .
    Alain

Frequent Contributor
    At MACNA, We had one on the back wall pointing at the side glass, and we also had one on the back wall pointed across the the center of the tank at an angle.

Frequent Visitor
    My two cents: I have a 75g and these pumps are way powerful. I am running a power level of 1% and pipeline (5 seconds on/off). Its producing a very powerful surge. IMHO these pumps would be way more useful if the minimum value for rpm was down around 300. I do not want and should not have to adjust where the pump is aimed (front wall etc..) I should be able to adjust the flow as I want it to be. I have not added my second pump in the tank. Yes these are really cool, yes I will figure out how to integrate them in my tank even with their way insane flow rate. BUT they would be even cooler and far more useful if their minimum flow rate could be significantly reduced.

Also it would be nice to have a wave type/pattern type that permitted two variables. One for the amount of time the wave is on and one for the amount of time the pump is off. As in On for 5 seconds and off for 15. To give my tank a rest period I am currently also using the advanced section to add in on and off times for the pump (yes I could do this in the graph but its simpler and cleaner in the advanced section). So its off for every other other hour (and when I am feeding).

Finally, my Tyree Leather seems to love the surge. Its open about 50% more than I have ever seen it before. Could be coincidence.

Rich S.

Re: Inverse of Constant

I have the left as the Master and the right as Inverse via a Set <Profile>

If I set the left at Constant n% then the right pump goes to Constant (100-n)%, i.e. left at 5% right at 95%. I haven't been running Inverse in awhile but I wanted to check this out.

So, careful if you run Master/Slave with Slave as Inverse and you have a Constant Mode in your Master.
    Regards
    Michael

NSI Member
    I made the same mistake thinking about inverse. I was thinking inverse of the pattern not intensity. The way it works if you have one pump at 100% inverse it will always be at 100%-whatever the other pump is set to. If the other pump is set to 10%, then the inverse pump will be running at 90%. I switched my second pump over to mirror 100% so it follows the intensity and pattern of the other pump.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    At MACNA, We had one on the back wall pointing at the side glass, and we also had one on the back wall pointed across the the center of the tank at an angle.
    Any chance we can get some pictures of how you had it set up and the wave patterns you had programmed?

If you set the Slave to Mirror 100% on the Master Constant set at 20%, then (I think) you get 20% on the Master and 20% on the Slave.

However, if you set the Slave to Inverse 100% on the Master Constant set at 20%, then you get 20% on the Master and 80% on the Slave.

The Help seems to not quite say that:

Mirror This mode causes the pump to be synchronized with and operate in the same mode as another WAV pump. If you use 100% for the intensity, the WAV will do exactly the same pattern as the Reference pump. However, you may choose an intensity value less than 100%, which will cause the WAV to operate the same as the Reference pump, but the operation of the WAV will be proportionally scaled at a reduced intensity.

Inverse Similar to Mirror, except that the WAV will do the opposite of the Reference pump pattern.
    I'm probably just confused (as usual) and it's imminently clear to everyone else!
    Regards
    Michael

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmn View Post
    If you set the Slave to Mirror 100% on the Master Constant set at 20%, then (I think) you get 20% on the Master and 20% on the Slave.

However, if you set the Slave to Inverse 100% on the Master Constant set at 20%, then you get 20% on the Master and 80% on the Slave.

The Help seems to not quite say that:

Mirror This mode causes the pump to be synchronized with and operate in the same mode as another WAV pump. If you use 100% for the intensity, the WAV will do exactly the same pattern as the Reference pump. However, you may choose an intensity value less than 100%, which will cause the WAV to operate the same as the Reference pump, but the operation of the WAV will be proportionally scaled at a reduced intensity.

Inverse Similar to Mirror, except that the WAV will do the opposite of the Reference pump pattern.
    I'm probably just confused (as usual) and it's imminently clear to everyone else!
    You have it right. The wording on the inverse definition is just ambiguous. It would be nice if there was an inverse mode that matched the intensity, but reversed the pattern. For example if you had the master set to 20% constant, the slave would be 20% constant. If you had it in a variable mode that ranged from 20%-40%, then the slave would stay in the same range, but on the opposite pattern.

As it works now, if the pattern ranges from 20%-40%, then the inverse set slave would be running from 80%-60%.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post

As it works now, if the pattern ranges from 20%-40%, then the inverse set slave would be running from 80%-60%.

False , the INVERSE mode is just " INVERSE " . That mean that the slave pump will run the EXACT same pattern as the master , but the intensity of the slave is opposite the intensity of the master . When one is high the other is low and vice-versa . Also setting the INVERSE at 100 % will only make the slave to reflect the intensity of the master : EX : If the master is set at 50 % max , the slave will also run at 50 % max > 100% X 50 % = 50 % . However if the INVERSE is set at 50 % then 50 % X 50 % = 25 % .

Just think as sync and anti-sync with Vortech .
    Alain

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    False , the INVERSE mode is just " INVERSE " . That mean that the slave pump will run the EXACT same pattern as the master , but the intensity of the slave is opposite the intensity of the master . When one is high the other is low and vice-versa . Also setting the INVERSE at 100 % will only make the slave to reflect the intensity of the master : EX : If the master is set at 50 % max , the slave will also run at 50 % max > 100% X 50 % = 50 % . However if the INVERSE is set at 50 % then 50 % X 50 % = 25 % .

Just think as sync and anti-sync with Vortech .
    Then mine is working wrong or we are explaining it differently. The inverse set slave pump set at 100% runs at 100%-n where N is the intensity of the master. If constant is set to 18, inverse runs at 82. If I am in a pattern that ranges from 10-20 the inverse runs at 80-90 on the opposite pattern (master at 15 means slave at 85 and so on).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast