Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Waveline Apex Ready controllers not working

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PAreefer08 View Post
    Just to add more to the confusion. Could I save all of this hassle and buy RJ45 cable (non-Neptune) and use that successfully without changing anything while still utilizing speed variability and on/off functions?
    This.
    Just go out and buy a RJ45 terminated CAT5 cable from anywhere (standard ethernet cable). It will work just fine and save you the trouble of assembling a custom cable. If you do like I just mentioned you will use V1/V2 but you only really need one (V1), the other port will be unused. Personnaly, I like these as they let you use V2 for a second pump or other:
    http://www.coralvue.com/waveline-apex-cable
    As for speed control of a Waveline pump, you'll get control down to the slowest the Waveline controller will permit. I have no idea what this is really but if I had to guess I would say about 10%. You will NOT have ON/OFF control unless you plug the pump power brick into an EB outlet and use that to cut the power to the controller.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    This.
    Just go out and buy a RJ45 terminated CAT5 cable from anywhere (standard ethernet cable). It will work just fine and save you the trouble of assembling a custom cable. If you do like I just mentioned you will use V1/V2 but you only really need one (V1), the other port will be unused. Personnaly, I like these as they let you use V2 for a second pump or other:
    http://www.coralvue.com/waveline-apex-cable
    As for speed control of a Waveline pump, you'll get control down to the slowest the Waveline controller will permit. I have no idea what this is really but if I had to guess I would say about 10%. You will NOT have ON/OFF control unless you plug the pump power brick into an EB outlet and use that to cut the power to the controller.
    Thank you!!! Again I apologize for my ignorance. I found the Waveline to Apex cable so for $17 I'll just get that.

Frequent Visitor
    I have 3 Waveline pumps and like them. The difference between spending the $17 is that if you want the cable to work properly, it's a reasonable price. If you have the capability to make a cable and save part of that $17 that's also great( the 2 plugs that connect to pump, the cat5 ends and cable could run $5, so to save $12, I want dependability in this case).. But if you don't have the capability to make your own, by all means the money lost by making a mistake is far higher than the cable. I could have made the cables but chose to purchase the split cable to use all ports (the split cables look and work well). Also my speed stops dropping at 13% and will not shut off so I use the Neptune power outlet to turn on/off. This is redundant to those that have earlier replied but I am using same equipment as you are. Hope this helps

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by PAreefer08 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance. But I'm lost. Anyone willing to help me out here? If I'm understanding everything correctly... I could purchase a cat5e cable and just plug both sides in, one into the Waveline controlle and the other to the VDM, and it could potentially work depending how the pins are set up in the cat5e cable? OR I could get the RJ45 cable, and a Ethernet connector on the end, in the appropriate slots?, and ensure that it will work, given that I know how to add a connection on the end of the RJ45. In either method, will I be able to control the Waveline pump via the Apex? Including pump speed and on/off? With using the Apex to control everything on the Waveline, speed and on/off, will I only be using V1/V2 so I can still use V3/V4 for my LED control? Thanks in advance for the help!

Just to add more to the confusion. Could I save all of this hassle and buy RJ45 cable (non-Neptune) and use that successfully without changing anything while still utilizing speed variability and on/off functions?
    Yes you can. I did exactly that. I used all 4 Vx ports on VDM for separate controls.

V1 controls Waveline speed.
    V2 controls Kessil LED Light Intensity
    V3 controls Kessil LED lght Colors
    V4 controls 2nd Waveline.

Bascially you have GND and any one of the 4 Vx to send 0-10V to anything that is controller by 0-10Volts. You re-use the GND with V1-V4 at the far end to make new pairs.

I just used a scrap Rj45 cable Ethernet cable that had that clip broken off at one end (so kept falling out).
    I cut that end and used the wires to make new connectors to another RJ45 for Waveline, and a 2 Wire pair for LED, etc.

Just pay attention to the colored wires, not all cables match at both ends.
    Using a volt meter for testing is a good idea, since my first try was a bad connection.
    Best 100% proof you got it right is control the pair with your apex. OFF=0Volts, ON=approx. 10Volts, half way half.

Make sure on the waveline and that you push in that RJ45 into it all the way. Once it works (clicks), leave it alone.
    Don't mount your waveline box with RJ45 Upward. I did that and sometimes my wet hands would drip on the RJ45 jack and it got corroded and I lost control.
    Little cleaning fixed that.

New User
    Hi, if anyone can help with programming for Waveline DC pumps, I'd be very grateful if you could add any comments you might have to the thread at https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...light=waveline. Thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123