Thread: Tried to update to newest Firmware and apex base USB started to smoke. Now Everything wont work

New User

Tried to update to newest Firmware and apex base USB started to smoke. Now Everything wont work

Good Evening Guys

I tried to update to the newest firmware last week and apex base unit USB started to smoke. I sent it in but in the meanwhile I just bought another apex base unit for back up and programmed it and plugged it in. But seems like everything that was attached to the last apex base unit is not working.

I had the apex base unit (the one sent in and smells like smoke) attached to 2 X EB8s, 1 X Display unit and and LSM module. I can't get any of them to work. Both Eb8s wont get recognized and just flashes Green and Display is just a blank Blue Screen and the LSM wont turn on. I've tried 8 different original 3 ft and 6 ft cables and still no go but they would work on others modules so I know its not my cables that the issue. I use every port in the bottom too all 6 on the EB8s and still nothing would recognize. I "initialize all" 3 or more times and still wouldn't recognise.

I troubleshooted by using my other EB8S from home and they work fine with the new Apex base module. I also tried my apex display from my home tank and my LSM from my home tank and they all registered and was recognized but when I would plug the old one in they would start to all flash green.I plugged each one individually and everyone would make the others lose control and go into fallback mode. Not sure whats going on here. I have them on a UPS surge protector and battery backup.

Just to let you know what modules I have and what I am running

total between 3 tanks

8 X EB8s
    4 X PM1
    3 X PM2
    3 X ALD
    1 X DOS
    2 X AFS
    3 X Displays
    3 X Base Unit

I'm pretty comfortable using all the different types of modules and controllers and never really had issues except the odd firmware upgrades. Let me know if I can troubleshoot some other way. Oh by the way everything is flashed to the newest firmware on the new Apex base unit and all the firmware is upgraded per module that works and that I tested. Connected directly to router and have control on new apex base module but nothing on the old stuff. Can't find it on the Module setup page once they are plugged in. Maybe there is a factory reset something I might be missing?

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue cause I'm too scared to flash my other 2 Apex controller to the newest firmware.

Thanks in advance
    Erick

The old ones could also have been damaged. Smoke coming from the aquabus usually indicates a major fault or significant overvoltage, which can damage any or every module, not just the head unit.