Thread: What about a APM (Apex PWM Module)

Frequent Visitor

What about a APM (Apex PWM Module)

I'm a true supporter of the Apex - although it was one of the single largest purchases I've made for my tank, it was hands down the best investment. One major complaint I have is the lack of LED dimming support. I came close to going the DIY route before purchasing my Kessil, but wanted the sleek look and simplicity of the Kessil. Every day when I see it come on or go off, I have to say that it frustrates me a little that it is an instant on/off. It would be great if it could actually dim from 0% up to the preset value.

As I understand it, this can be done with PWM. I also understand that PWM outputs are available on other controller brands. As any though been put into offering a variable speed module with PWM outputs vs 0-10v analog outputs? It would eliminate the need for all of the home grown converters for the DIY LED folks, as well as open up the market to control additional devices that were previously incompatible with the Apex because they required PWM outputs.

Maybe this has been addressed before, but if not it seems like it would be a good option to offer the hobbyists.

The limitation of dimming below a certain percentage is not a limitation of the Apex, it's one in many of the fixtures, Kessil A160 and A360 included. Since the Kessils use 0-10v analog dimming control, PWM won't help.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I do understand that the limitation is in the analog technology, not the apex itself. The limitation I see with the apex is that the technology is out there, it just can't be used with the apex without some DIY electronics.

Kessils can't take PWM anyway so it's kind of a moot point. Analog inputs typically have low pass filters that prevent PWM dimming from working.

Frequent Visitor
    So to clarify my original post, I understand that Kessils don't accept PWM. I just thought that having the option for PWM on the apex would allow apex users to use LED lights with PWM capability with their apex.

PWM capability, in my case would do me no good. In someone else's, it may give them the ability to truly imitate sunrise/sunset, if not for the health of their tank (which it would probably have little effect on), maybe for the aesthetics of the viewers. It would also allow moonlighting possibilities without an additional light setup. Maybe it would judge the LED market towards PWM as the standard?

And maybe the whole thing is a bad idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about a APM (Apex PWM Module)

Quote Originally Posted by Tango2 View Post
    So to clarify my original post, I understand that Kessils don't accept PWM.
    And maybe the whole thing is a bad idea
    I think you confused us both by mentioning your disappointment in Kessil dimming and a desire for PWM in the same post - seemed to me that you were wanting PWM to help with the Kessil dimming. My misunderstanding...

PWM is not a bad idea, but there not really enough demand for it. Terence recently posted something to the effect that market research has indicated that a PWM module wouldn't sell in sufficient quantity to justify the development costs and effort involved.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I think you confused us both by mentioning your disappointment in Kessil dimming and a desire for PWM in the same post - seemed to me that you were wanting PWM to help with the Kessil dimming. My misunderstanding...

PWM is not a bad idea, but there not really enough demand for it. Terence recently posted something to the effect that market research has indicated that a PWM module wouldn't sell in sufficient quantity to justify the development costs and effort involved.
    did this PWM module ever get made??? is there a way to connect PWM led's to the apex??

Quote Originally Posted by grouperbait View Post
    this is my first ever post on the community forums, and yes i'm posting on a thread that is over 3 years old. but i have been upset with my apex purchase ever since i got it on black friday, and i'm fed up with it. its extremely hard to find any answers to any questions without searching for hours on forums and that time spent looking is extremely frustrating. the manual isn't great either.

anyway, did this PWM module ever get made??? is there a way to connect PWM led's to the apex??
    A PWM module has not been made and likely never will be. If you want to control PWM LEDs you need a converter like below (this is just an example not a recommendation. What to actually use requires more info about your lights specifications)

https://m.banggood.com/Voltage-To-PW...8aAugDEALw_wcB

The forum is not particularly well tagged to make things easy to find from an indexing standpoint. I have found it helpful to Google fu using many keywords related to your question and then add site:forum.neptunesystems.com. If you don't see a thread that helps in 5 or 10 minutes, just create a new thread with your question. Someone knowledgeable often responds within a couple hours tops.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    ok thank you. i hope it gets easier. i appreciate your reply.

This is probably the most widely-used solution in the hobby to interface PWM drivers w/ the Apex's 0-10v outputs: https://www.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-...ess_p_183.html

It has a 4-channel variant, which is a big plus over the cheap single-channel converters if you have more than one color channel to control.