Thread: foam guard to protect anemone?

Frequent Visitor

foam guard to protect anemone?

i have two3rd gen koralias and two wav pumps..im going to buy a anemone soon..is there a foam guard i could use like the mp40s have?

They have not made one yet. You can DIY one by wrapping the pump in 1/8" nylon netting (BRS sells it) and securing it with zip ties. It's not the prettiest thing, but works better than a foam guard since it won't allow detritus buildup.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    They have not made one yet. You can DIY one by wrapping the pump in 1/8" nylon netting (BRS sells it) and securing it with zip ties. It's not the prettiest thing, but works better than a foam guard since it won't allow detritus buildup.
    yeah that will look pretty ugly.. do you know if neptune is going to make one? Or can your mp40's foam cover fit on a hydor 3rd gen koralia or the wav? thanks!

Never tried. The WAV is very similar in size to the mp40 so it might fit.

Frequent Contributor
    I have 2 WAVs now, and had a MP40 and other power heads and never have kept any foam guards and at one time had 40+ Rose Bubble Tip Anemone in my 65g tank...currently I have 10 and they have moved past my WAV pumps and have never had an issue of them getting sucked in..... not sure if I am just lucky, but with the amount of anemones that I had the odds were stacked against me and nothing every happened....Yes my Anemones moved around in my tank...but just wanted to share my experience of no issues with not having a foam guard on my pumps.
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    I have 2 WAVs now, and had a MP40 and other power heads and never have kept any foam guards and at one time had 40+ Rose Bubble Tip Anemone in my 65g tank...currently I have 10 and they have moved past my WAV pumps and have never had an issue of them getting sucked in..... not sure if I am just lucky, but with the amount of anemones that I had the odds were stacked against me and nothing every happened....Yes my Anemones moved around in my tank...but just wanted to share my experience of no issues with not having a foam guard on my pumps.
    Sounds like you got lucky.. Do you have the foam covers for your mp40's do they fit on wav's? Just wondering before I buy them. This persons powerhead has smaller slots then the wav and my hydor koralias and she had same issue plus it could wipe out the whole tank something I wouldn't want to risk..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacU75sPTUI

Frequent Contributor
    That is too bad for her and others, just saying what I have experienced...I sold my MP40 so I don't have the pre-filter or I would have tested it for you, but I think the WAV is a Tad larger then the MP40...maybe some other member who had MP40 and swapped to the WAVs that have the pre-filter could chime in....
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    That is too bad for her and others, just saying what I have experienced...I sold my MP40 so I don't have the pre-filter or I would have tested it for you, but I think the WAV is a Tad larger then the MP40...maybe some other member who had MP40 and swapped to the WAVs that have the pre-filter could chime in....
    Thanks yeah would be nice to know otherwise I could buy some filter foam off amazon or something.

New User
    Attached is a picture of a WAV with a MP40 foam guard attached. It almost looks as though it was made for it. Having ISSUES attaching photos, sorry, but as I said, It fits really well.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cmichaelb View Post
    Attached is a picture of a WAV with a MP40 foam guard attached. It almost looks as though it was made for it. Having ISSUES attaching photos, sorry, but as I said, It fits really well.
    Awesome! Thanks for replying I'm going to purchase a few of these! would like to see a pic though if possible and hopefully it will also fit on my hydor koralias

Regular Vistor
    Media bags and/or pantyhose will work fine for this, but they're both kind of an eye sore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    has anyone had any new ideas on this front i am about to build a new reef tank and will have anemones

Frequent Visitor
    Vortex covers work for me

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

New User
    Lost one last night to this same problem.. anyone have another solution?

New User
    Did the mp40's foam covers work on the WAV's?

The Mp40 foams fit perfectly on Wavs. I used for many months without issue: side advantage, with foams the wavs are more clean and need less maintenance!
    You only need washing the foam every week.