Thread: Timing pumps (Maxspect Gyre) with the Lunar Cycle Season Table

Frequent Visitor

Post Timing pumps (Maxspect Gyre) with the Lunar Cycle Season Table

Summary: To change the direction of flow with a ramp up/full speed/ramp down cycle approximately every 6 hours in time with the Moon rise/set in the seasonal table.

It was suggested I post this over here in the Neptune Forums. I suppose this can apply to any controllable pump but here's what I've done with my Maxspect Gyre XF150's. For a little background I have two XF150's now and both are setup vertical on the back wall. There's one on the left back corner and the other on the right back corner. The left gyre has BB cages/paddle wheels and the right gyre has AA cages/paddle wheels. I use an alternating gyre where the Left gyre will either push water toward the front and to the right or across the back to the right depending on direction. The Right gyre does the opposite working in coordination with the Left gyre making a nice flow around the tank alternating directions. Detritus doesn't stand a chance to settle anywhere. Setting up the alternating directions also makes it semi self cleaning as it blows off debris that was building up while running in the other direction. My fish love that feature. As the debris could be edible or little critters that are edible are on the debris. When the direction changes they fly off and the fish go nuts chasing after it for a snack. Plus, watching the overall flow in a constant motion is something the gyre excels at. Watching the little turbulent streams caused by the corals, rocks and fish is peaceful and causes chain reactions in the flow that's fun to watch for and you can see the fish interact with that flow in unique and interesting ways.

I have setup with the Gyre pumps an Icecap module for each one. And the special alternating cable for the variable speed ports so two variable speed ports (1 single full rj45 connection) is needed for each pump. On one RJ45 connection is then one variable speed outlet used for speed and the other is used for direction.

I started with a single gyre and with the basic controller I was alternating every 6 hours and not coordinated with anything else. Witht he second gyre in place and the icecap modules I have a LOT more control with the Apex. So, I had fun getting the gyres to alternate with the Moon rise/set in the seasonal table and flipping direction twice per cycle or around every 6 hours.

The below is what I posted on another forum and is a straight copy paste on what I did. I'm not an expert on Apex programming (just got the apex a couple months ago) and I'm sure there may be more efficient ways to do this but this is working. It really is fun watching how the fish interact with the changes in the flow and intensities.

Copy/paste:

I finally got the dual gyres and the apex controller timed with the lunar cycle from the seasonal tables. I have all my display lights, lunar lights, and even heaters/ranco using the Apex Seasonal tables to control when to turn on/off, intensities, and temp. So, why not try to use that seasonal table to control the direction of the gyres like a tide.

Now, tides are rather complex and varies greatly from place to place. They could change once a day, twice a day, not at all, more then twice a day, on a fairly regular schedule, or completely variable on when it happens. I'm going go with trying to change directions every 6 hours or so with the standard two high and two low tides per day causing a change in flow direction 4 times a day. Now timing there is fairly regular (at least predictable) and mostly (not entirely of course) controlled by the moon's gravitational pull and high tides slightly ahead of the moon by about 10 degrees due to friction forces that shifts in time through out the days/weeks/months/years.

So, in comes trying to time it with the lunar cycle. Right now for my viewing pleasure I have all the lighting off set behind by 3.5 hours (210 minutes with white lights on 30 minutes after blues and off 30 minutes before blues.)

What I'm doing now is using the Lunar chart to start the cycle and kick a series of virtual outlets to finally get to an ON or OFF state spreading out 6 hours coordinating with the moons position and causing low/high tides and flow changes. Each vMoon cycle re-syncs the timing as the moon rises about 50 minutes later each day and can happen during the day. I'm using a vMoon virtual outlet instead of my Lunar LSM outlet as I want the timing to be offset from my Moon lights in the display. Typically high tide coordinates with the moon rise will happen around 1-1.5 hours after the moon starts rising. Which is that 10degree offset mentioned earlier. So by the time the moon reaches the full height(median) in the sky high tide already came and went well ahead of it.

I looked at using OSC but it bases its timing from a fixed point which I don't want a fixed point. I played with Min Time and that worked in testing but in practice virtual outlets where in an OFF state that I wanted them to be in long enough to turn on right away that I didn't want to happen. So, in came defer and its worked so far through out today. If it ends up breaking for some reason I will post an update.

Next thing I'll work on is ramping up and down. As during peak high and peak low tides there's not much water flow besides any surface movement. Mostly this is all just for the fun of it.

So for now here's my programming that really would work for any water pump plugged into an outlet on the Apex directly or controllable and wants to time themselves to the constantly shifting Lunar cycle and not a static timing.

Programming and brief comments:
    Here's my Lunar lights shifted in time forward the same amount as my main display lights

[ Lunar_5_1 ] ( 5_1 )
    Program Type: Advanced
    Display Icon: Moon
    Logging: Enabled
    Program:
    Set OFF
    If Moon 210/210 Then ON
    If Power Apex OFF 001 Then OFF

Virtual outlet to set a lunar timer offset ahead 1h 10m after moon rise to trigger the peak high tide ahead of full Lunar median in the sky and tide change. This also re-syncs my gyres to the Moon Cycle. If I need or want to adjust timing I can do it from this single spot.

[vMoon_B4 ] ( Cntl_B4 )
    Display Icon: Clock
    Program:
    Set OFF
    If Moon 280/280 Then ON

Now based on if that vMoon outlet is on or off will trigger two more virtual outlets. In each virtual outlet is a Defer Then ON statement delaying them being turned on for 6 hours. This sets the off(6(hrs)/on(6hrs)/off(6hrs)/on(6hrs + ~50m sync) timing to corrodinate with the moon traveling through the sky (more the earth's spinning) causing the low and high tide changes approximately every 6 hours. OSC could do this but again that would be easy and boring and a fixed point every day.

[vMoonUp_B2 ] ( Cntl_B2 )
    Program:
    If Outlet vMoon_B4 = OFF Then OFF (sets the off state)
    If Outlet vMoon_B4 = ON Then ON
    Defer 360:00 Then ON (keep in that off state for 6 hours then turn on)

[ vMoonDown_B3 ] ( Cntl_B3 )
    Program:
    If Outlet vMoon_B4 = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet vMoon_B4 = OFF Then ON
    Defer 360:00 Then ON

Now for the virtual outlet that will be used by the variable speed ports to determine which profile to use. This is a simple off/on but need the order

[ vTide_B1 ] ( Cntl_B1 )
    Display Icon: Up/Down Arrows
    Program:
    Set ON
    If Outlet vMoonUp_B2 = OFF Then OFF
    If Outlet vMoonDown_B3 = OFF Then OFF
    If Outlet vMoonUp_B2 = ON Then ON
    If Outlet vMoonDown_B3 = ON Then ON

Then finally the variable speed ports.

Variable Ports Controlling direction
    [Dir_GyreL]
    If Outlet vTide_B1 = OFF Then DirF_GyreL
    If Outlet vTide_B1 = ON Then DirR_GyreL

[Dir_GyreR] Mirror of the above
    If Outlet vTide_B1 = OFF Then DirR_GyreR
    If Outlet vTide_B1 = ON Then DirF_GyreR

That is all now working. For now the speed is constant. I will work on the speed controls next trying to ramp up and down. I would also love to vary the max speed based on other variables but that is not available.

Frequent Visitor
    Here's the second part controlling the ramping up/ full speed/ and ramping down at ~6hour intervals to coordinate with the directional changes achieved above.

copy/paste:

~Speed control completed and working.

Using the vTidal virtual outlet created for the above directional controls for the trigger again but changed it's name to something more meaning full (at least to me) called vTideChg. vMoon is still my main timing for the cycles then. I will have two sets of ramp up/full speed/ramp down virtual outlets but cycles through based on vTideChng

So, here it is...

The basis for the cycles timing that syncs to the lunar seasonal chart and adjusted the same amount of time as my main display LED lights for my viewing pleasure. Plus an additional offset forward from my actual Lunar lights for reasons explained in the previous post above on tidal changes, gravity, earths friction, 10 degree offsets, etc.
    [ vMoon_B4 ] ( Cntl_B4 )
    Display Icon: Clock
    Program:
    Set OFF
    If Moon 280/280 Then ON

Simulation trigger of the moon rising and falling triggering the Tide Change virtual outlet and helps split up the tide changes around 6 hours apart. Used for the directional variable speed outlets and now for the speed control.

[ vMoonUp_B2 ] ( Cntl_B2 )
    Program:
    If Outlet vMoon_B4 = OFF Then OFF

[ vMoonDown_B3 ] ( Cntl_B3 )
    Program:

Tidal change trigger on reversing directions and main trigger for ramping up/full/ramping down speed profiles.

[ vTideChg_B1 ] ( Cntl_B1 )
    Program:
    Set ON

Now for the new stuff to time the directional changes with a period of ramping up, full speed, ramping back down, ramping back up, full speed, and so on...

This splits up the tidal changes into 2 major cycles. Which basically splits up the 6 hour intervals which is all that I had to worry about for the direction. But once I was able to get that done I am now able to split it out even further. So, here's Tide Cycle 1 and Tide Cycle 2.

Ramp up kicks in right away as soon as the Tide change trigger kicks in. This kicks in the ramp up speed profile that is timed to last 15.
    [ vT1RampUp_C1 ] ( Cntl_C1 )
    Program:
    Set OFF
    If Outlet vTideChg_B1 = OFF Then OFF
    If Outlet vTideChg_B1 = ON Then ON

The defer here waits 15m for the ramp up profile to finish
    [ vT1Full_C2 ] ( Cntl_C2 )
    Display Icon: Left/Right Arrows
    Program:
    Defer 015:00 Then ON

The Defer here times it to the last 15 minutes of the 6 hour cycle to start cycling down.
    [ vT1RampDn_C3 ] ( Cntl_C3 )
    Program:
    Defer 345:00 Then ON

Then start ramping up right away again repeating above.
    [ vT2RampUp_C4 ] ( Cntl_C4 )
    Program:
    If Outlet vTideChg_B1 = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet vTideChg_B1 = OFF Then ON

[ vT2Full_C5 ] ( Cntl_C5 )
    Display Icon: Left/Right Arrows
    Program:

[ vT2RampDn_C6 ] ( Cntl_C6 )
    Program:

Then back to tide cycle 1.

The Profiles
    [ TideRampUp ] ( PF10 )
    Type: Ramp
    Ramp Time: 15
    Start Intensity: 30
    End Intensity: 100

[ TideRampDn ] ( PF11 )
    Type: Ramp
    Ramp Time: 15
    Start Intensity: 100
    End Intensity: 30

[ FullSpeed ] ( PF12 )
    Type: Pump
    Synchronize: Disable
    Divide By 10: Disable
    Initial Off Time: 0
    On Time: 0
    Off Time: 0
    Minimum Intensity: 100
    Maximum Intensity: 100

The variable speed outlets then check the Tide cycle 1 and Tide cycle 2 virtual outlets for their states and to decide which of the profiles to apply.

Again I'm just testing this out on the Left side gyre for now.
    [ Spd_GyreL ] ( base_Var1 )
    Display Icon: Fan
    Program
    If Outlet vT1RampUp_C1 = ON Then TideRampUp
    If Outlet vT1Full_C2 = ON Then FullSpeed
    If Outlet vT1RampDn_C3 = ON Then TideRampDn
    If Outlet vT2RampUp_C4 = ON Then TideRampUp
    If Outlet vT2Full_C5 = ON Then FullSpeed
    If Outlet vT2RampDn_C6 = ON Then TideRampDn

Frequent Visitor
    My full programming can be seen over at reeftronics.net

http://www.reeftronics.net/Ja/jason2459/apex-program

Frequent Visitor
    Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks, it's been running flawlessly.

Frequent Visitor
    You still working with this setup....I'm trying to figure out how to implement this with my two WP60s....

Frequent Visitor
    Yep and love it. Just about my entire system now is timed with the seasonal chart.

Frequent Visitor
    I did a small tweak to it....I added profiles that would give me a pulse at 10% 20%...up to 50% on each side. I'm using those instead of the TideRampUp, Down, and Fullspeed....still trying to find the sweet spot with these two WP60's....sand keeps getting dug into. I truly like what you have setup and appreciate you posting it....next step is to get my lights working on this setup

WP60R
    If Outlet vT1RampUp_C1 = ON Then PumpR_10
    If Outlet vT1Full_C2 = ON Then PumpR_50
    If Outlet vT1RampDn_C3 = ON Then PumpR_30
    If Outlet vT2RampUp_C4 = ON Then PumpR_20
    If Outlet vT2Full_C5 = ON Then PumpL_50
    If Outlet vT2RampDn_C6 = ON Then PumpR_40

WP60L
    If Outlet vT1RampUp_C1 = ON Then PumpL_10
    If Outlet vT1Full_C2 = ON Then PumpL_50
    If Outlet vT1RampDn_C3 = ON Then PumpL_30
    If Outlet vT2RampUp_C4 = ON Then PumpL_20
    If Outlet vT2Full_C5 = ON Then PumpL_50
    If Outlet vT2RampDn_C6 = ON Then PumpL_40

Frequent Visitor
    This is awesome.
    I'm sorry that I have to ask this, but I cannot tell from reading the program, as I'm not very programming savvy.
    Were you able to vary the pumps' speed based on the lunar cycle also?

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, both speed and direction are controlled by the lunar cycle.

I love the seasonal chart. Lights ramp up and down daily based on it, lunar module works off it, heaters controlled by it, and my pumps as described above. It's great.

Frequent Visitor
    So, the pump's speeds vary based on the lunar cycle (more at new/full, less at the quarters)?

New User
    I have been looking into this as well, and as far as i can tell, there is no way to use the Moon Intensity from the seasonal table programmatically.

Ie

IF MoonInt = 0 THEN TidePump_RampUp_Spring
    IF MoonInt = 50 THEN TidePump_RampUp_Neap

which would allow you to select different ramp profiles with different Ending Intensity values, therefore having stronger or gentler tides based on the actual lunar cycle.

[TidePump_RampUp_Spring]
    Ramp time: 90
    End Intensity: 100

[TidePump_RampUp_Neap]
    Ramp time: 90
    End Intensity: 50

It is pretty disappointing actually. I really want to be able to access that MoonInt value.
    Last edited by SirJamieson; 11-02-2016 at 11:01. Reason: cleaner

New User
    Not trying to jack your thread, but ideally, you would have 4 ramp up profiles, that you would then cycle through back and forth based on the lunar phase. From New Moon -> 1/4 -> Full -> 3/4 -> New. Even if you could do it based on day of the month then you could hack it. but if there was someway to access the lunar phase that would be ideal. Until then, the best you can do is create a low-high-low-high tide cycle using Moon 000/000 without accounting for Spring and Neap tidal flows.

TidePump_RampUp_Full
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 100
    TidePump_RampUp_1-16
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 88
    TidePump_RampUp_2-16
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 76
    TidePump_RampUp_3-16
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 64
    TidePump_RampUp_Quarter
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 52

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tige21v View Post
    So, the pump's speeds vary based on the lunar cycle (more at new/full, less at the quarters)?
    No, I have it ramping up, full, and ramping down between 4 times a day like the tides. But I suppose it may be possible to do what you want based on lunar intensity but that wasn't my goal. I wanted to mimic a tidal zone where the current almost comes to a stop as it reverses.

Frequent Visitor
    Trying to figure out how to use this with my WP60's...have them sync to create the "gyre" effect. Any suggestions? My previous attempt didn't work. This is what I have right now...but it's still not working

VMoon_B4
    Set OFF
    If Moon 070/070 Then ON

vMoonUp_B2
    If Outlet vMoon_B4 = OFF Then OFF

vMoonDown_B3

vTideChg_B1
    Set ON

vT1RampUp_C1
    Set OFF

vT1Full_C2

vT1RampDn_C3

vT2RampUp_C4

vT2Full_C5

vT2RampDn_C6

WP60L

WP60R

Profiles
    TideRampUp
    Ramp

TideRampDn
    Ramp

FullSpeed
    Pump
    disabled
    disabled

So right now the only outlet that is triggered is vT2RampUp_C4, but both of my powerheads WP60L and WP60R are spinning. Everything is set to Auto

Frequent Visitor
    ok, well I figured it out. Since I'm using one WP60 for all the vT1 profiles and the other WP60 for the vT2 profiles...I didn't add the off command. Here is what I have and it seems to be working now

WP60L
    If Outlet vT2RampUp_C4 = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet vT2Full_C5 = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet vT2RampDn_C6 = ON Then OFF

WP60R

If Outlet vT1RampUp_C1 = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet vT1Full_C2 = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet vT1RampDn_C3 = ON Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJamieson View Post
    Not trying to jack your thread, but ideally, you would have 4 ramp up profiles, that you would then cycle through back and forth based on the lunar phase. From New Moon -> 1/4 -> Full -> 3/4 -> New. Even if you could do it based on day of the month then you could hack it. but if there was someway to access the lunar phase that would be ideal. Until then, the best you can do is create a low-high-low-high tide cycle using Moon 000/000 without accounting for Spring and Neap tidal flows.

TidePump_RampUp_Full
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 100
    TidePump_RampUp_1-16
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 88
    TidePump_RampUp_2-16
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 76
    TidePump_RampUp_3-16
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 64
    TidePump_RampUp_Quarter
    RT = 90
    SI = 30
    EI = 52
    So how would you apply this idea to the cycle of the program...I'm looking at the moonup and moondn profiles which give the 6 hr high and low tide...but lost after that

New User
    i have set up this program on my Apex and it is working great. i am trying to figure a way to have an hour of either no pumps going, like during slack tide, or all pumps going for some big flow to keep things on the move.

i have tried using a Defer line on the actual output, but the Defer commands seems to be ignored. am i putting it in the wrong place?

If Output vTide = OFF Then OFF
    Defer 001:00 Then ON
    If Output vTide = ON Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then OFF

Thank You,

G~

Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post
    i have set up this program on my Apex and it is working great. i am trying to figure a way to have an hour of either no pumps going, like during slack tide, or all pumps going for some big flow to keep things on the move.

i have tried using a Defer line on the actual output, but the Defer commands seems to be ignored. am i putting it in the wrong place?

Thank You,

G~
    You need two virtual outlets one to initiate off and another to initiate on. I also would not reccomend a full hour of no pumps. That doesn't happen in nature and can crash your tank from lack of flow to bacteria. I would do 30 mins tops and 15 min would probably be better. The everything on can happen a full hour no problem.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post

Thank You,

G~
    Is that Defer statement(s) for one hour, or one minute?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You need two virtual outlets one to initiate off and another to initiate on. I also would not reccomend a full hour of no pumps. That doesn't happen in nature and can crash your tank from lack of flow to bacteria. I would do 30 mins tops and 15 min would probably be better. The everything on can happen a full hour no problem.
    it would not be a full hour of no pumps. these are the open water circulation pumps. there will still be @8000gph of flow behind the LR.

i guess i should create these virtual outlets based on the moon virtual outlet state change.

Quote Originally Posted by tige21v View Post
    Is that Defer statement(s) for one hour, or one minute?
    oh, good point. i did have it wrong. theoretically the Defer statement should work here?

Thank you,

G~