Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WAV Placement

Classic User
    Which walls are viewing walls?
    What are the other 2 dimensions?

I recommend you add at least one more WAV in a position to provide some counterflow, to alternate current direction and to produce turbulence. It probably needs to be aimed toward, across or against, the flow produced by the two WAVs you already have.

Play around with the aiming of your two WAVs relative to each other. Try pointing them at various diverging angles (aimed toward the front and toward the back) and converging (collision) angles in addition to parallel as you show them.

Don't forget to try pointing them at different vertical angles with respect to each other, one higher and one lower than the other.

Use the pumps at full speed while you are studying their locations and orientations. Have some fine sand on hand to sprinkle into the resulting currents so you can visualize them. Don't just use it right at the powerheads, use it where they bank off a wall and where they intersect each other. Also move farther downstream and check how far and how wide the streams have gone and become.

Only after you have completed siting in your WAVs should you start experimenting with pumping profiles, both Neptune Systems' and your own custom ones. This should be fun.

Frequent Visitor
    It's a peninsula set up. I've got a Gyre 150 on the opposite end from the overflow.

Classic User
    Other tank dimensions?

Can you sketch what your gyre's flow pattern might look like?

Any other pumps in your DT? What kind and where and aiming?

Do you have volumetric flow rate (speed) control over your gyre?
    Where are your return lines and how are they aimed?

Frequent Visitor
    tank is 72"Lx27"Wx21"H. The current flow is a basic gyre...across the top and back along the bottom. No other pumps. I do have the gyre on my apex and currently max it out at 45% (just upgraded to the new blades). Return lines are on the angles of the overflow. I have each split into two nozzles. One nozzle on each side aims toward other end along the glass and the 2nd ones on each side are aimed toward the center of the tank.

Forgot to add that the rockwork runs down the center of the tank and max height is about 3/4 of the way to the surface.

whats the size of your tank. is it 90g?

New User
    hi

my new tank is getting ready and the size of the tank is (96L * 24W * 30H). I got my apex WAV strter kit. Can anyone suggest where to place my WAVs.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumanan View Post
    hi

my new tank is getting ready and the size of the tank is (96L * 24W * 30H). I got my apex WAV strter kit. Can anyone suggest where to place my WAVs.
    The most common would be one on each end facing each other. Another possibility is on the back wall about a quarter of the way from the end and angled toward the center. I have mine in that position as the pumps are less visible that way.

New User
    Thanks nichlob for your suggestion. If we fix on the back glass will it not put lot of pressure to the front glass?

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumanan View Post
    Thanks nichlob for your suggestion. If we fix on the back glass will it not put lot of pressure to the front glass?
    Not an appreciable amount compared to the pressure of just the water in the tank. You also angle the WAVs so the stream hits the front at an angle toward the center. It creates a nice chaotic flow. Part of the time I run them in sync with Maverick, part of the time I run them mirror in Pulse mode.

New User
    Anyone running their WAV's on a 105? Looking for ideas.

New User
    IMG_4278 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Good stuf Broadfield, care to share tank information/what kind of profile/intensity you're using?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    How is your tank so clean?
    Chad

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    How is your tank so clean?
    LOL, I get that question a lot. I keep it all pretty darn clean:

IMG_7088 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
    LOL, I get that question a lot. I keep it all pretty darn clean:

IMG_7088 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
    That is unbelievable man, just gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    No really how? That is so funny as I did the exact same thing with the orange pvc and grey sch80 fittings. I got it all from BRS. The only complaint I have is that I got a major diatom outbreak right after as I plumbed it after I had cycled water in the tank so I couldn't flush it first.

I see GFO on the back left, is that a Biopellet reactor on the front and I know you'll be swapping out that Vectra once the Cor comes LOL...
    Chad

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    No really how? That is so funny as I did the exact same thing with the orange pvc and grey sch80 fittings. I got it all from BRS. The only complaint I have is that I got a major diatom outbreak right after as I plumbed it after I had cycled water in the tank so I couldn't flush it first.

I see GFO on the back left, is that a Biopellet reactor on the front and I know you'll be swapping out that Vectra once the Cor comes LOL...
    Yeah, I wish the darn COR would come out already! I saw it at MACNA 2015 and have been waiting for it ever since.

I run GFO and biopellets... that's about it. I have the 3rd reactor if I need to run GAC in an emergency or something. I do a 13% water change every Sunday. That's all I do for algae control.

Toby could you provide the wav settings you have please? What reefer is this 350?

Regular Vistor
    Old thread but going to give it a try.
    Just replace my mp40's with a couple of this. Have to say that the flow is amazing, the look not so much. I went for the wav kit as one power supply is enough for 2 power heads and my doser.
    I placed them on the back pane , and been black is helping a lot as doesn't show the power heads much...
    Just wondering what settings you guys are using for an sps dominant tank & just a few chalices in the bare bottom ...
    have a centre overflow, do anyone have also some recommendation for placement?
    Thank you

I'm mostly LPS but if you look in the settings you can download users setting they've uploaded

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    I'm mostly LPS but if you look in the settings you can download users setting they've uploaded

Ok thanks, going to take a look.

New User
    I have a 180 reef ready tank going for sps dominate reef tank. I Have the Neptune Wav in the overflow in the back about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way downpointing up on both sides for back flow looking for a good program to run .I also have gyres xf250s up front.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I tried this placement on my RSR 350, but have sand blowing up from the front corners. Any other tips? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12