Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sync vs anti-sync

New User

Sync vs anti-sync

I'm still confused on the whole sync, anti-sync setup. I have two MP40's in a 68 gallon tank. When would it be best to use those and in what mode? I;ve read the forums and the getting started guide, but still can't wrap my head around this.

Thank you

Sync means both pumps operate exactly the same. Antisync means when one pump is high, the other is low, but the pattern is the same. Most people use antisync, but it's really a matter of personal preference and how your tank reacts to either.

New User
    Thanks for the quick reply as always Zombie!

So if I set the left profile with various settings at say 50&, I could either duplicate it for the other side or just put in sync and the other side would automatically match it?

For the slave pump to EXACTLY match the master pump , it should be set to Sync 100 % for them to work together .
    Alain

That's the jist of it.

New User
    So if want them to share the load should i drop it to 25% so both go at a combined 50%?

Set the slave pump (in your case right) to sync at 100%. Then play around with the left pumps intensity until you find an intensity that works well for your tank (something that is strong and mixes the tank well, but doesn't create a sandstorm) While you are playing around with it, try out antisync too on the slave pump and see which gives you better flow patterns for your tank.

New User
    Will do, Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    So, can each pump be set to its own speed, whether in sync or anti sync with the vortech module? I have a mp60 and a mp40 in my current tank. If I remember correctly, when I was considering connecting them wirelessly, the slave pump will run at the same percent as the master pump, no matter the configuration. I'd like to be ableto run the mp40 at a higher percent than the mp60, especially in antisync. Is this possible with a module?

Quote Originally Posted by tige21v View Post
    So, can each pump be set to its own speed, whether in sync or anti sync with the vortech module? I have a mp60 and a mp40 in my current tank. If I remember correctly, when I was considering connecting them wirelessly, the slave pump will run at the same percent as the master pump, no matter the configuration. I'd like to be ableto run the mp40 at a higher percent than the mp60, especially in antisync. Is this possible with a module?
    Yes it is possible , however in your particular case the master pump should be the MP40 and the MP60 should be set as slave with a much lower pourcentage . Sync or anti-sync .
    Alain

Frequent Visitor
    So....if i have my MP40Right set to Pulse at 80% and then set MP40Left to SYNC at 50%. Will MP40Left run at 50% of MP40Right set speed? Thus only operating at 40%? or will it run at 50% of the pumps max speed?

I thought this use to be the case, but with EcoSmart things changed?

If i want MP40Right and MP40Left to run at the same speed, will need to make the PUMP set to SYNC/ANTISYNC to be at 100% speed?

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramshock4932 View Post
    If i want MP40Right and MP40Left to run at the same speed, will need to make the PUMP set to SYNC/ANTISYNC to be at 100% speed?
    Yes this is correct.
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    Yes this is correct.
    That makes for a really deceiving and silly looking fusion graph. same goes for Eco-Back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    I am having this same confusion and I thought I knew as well. My experience has been that in Fusion, I will just click the "copy" program button and then go down and select anti-sync the %'s are already populate and things seem to be balanced. If I go down and select 100% for all the modes in my Fusion program the "anti-synced" pump runs much higher constantly than the other. So I have left the %'s the same as the pump you are slaved to. So I may be misundertading Alain or I don't have something set up correctly but the pumps are connected my WXM with no apparent issues.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    sorry. APP doesnt like my phone

Frequent Visitor
    I think we need confirmation from others. I was with the understanding that in Fusion whats on the graph is the real Speed of the pump not the percentage of the master. because in this case, all pumps are the slaves to the WXM.

Frequent Contributor
    Here is a copy of my Fusion wizard for the WAV pumps but they work in the same concept as the Vortech's...In the picture you will see that my left is the master pump and my right is the slave set to 100% Inverse (same as anti-sync) so it will do the opposite of my right pump at full strength that the left master pump is set to.

Capture.PNG
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmos75 View Post
    Here is a copy of my Fusion wizard for the WAV pumps but they work in the same concept as the Vortech's...In the picture you will see that my left is the master pump and my right is the slave set to 100% Inverse (same as anti-sync) so it will do the opposite of my right pump at full strength that the left master pump is set to.

Capture.PNG
    I dont think this is helps determine the answer to our question.

Specially if you run both at 100%...if i wanted to do that id set both of mine to 100% and wipe my hands of it. At one point with the Apex, when setting master to 80% and slave to 50%...it would only run the slave at 40% total power. but now with fusion....i think this has changed. My slave would now run at 50% of its power not just 50% of the "masters" setting

Frequent Contributor

I don't run both at 100% only my Inverse...

so in the Fusion wizard I run 5% rincon (this is my night mode) on the left pump and 100% inverse on my right pump.

At night my left pump will we at 5% and my left at 1% then as the programming goes and the left pump goes down to 1% my Right (Inverse @ 100%) goes to 5%

Master = Slave 100% Inverse/anti-sync
    100 = 0-1%
    90 = 10%
    80 = 20%
    70 = 30%
    60 = 40%
    50 = 50%
    40 = 60%
    30 = 70%
    20 = 80%
    10 = 90%
    0-1 = 100%

Now say you set the master to 80% and the Slave to 100% anti-sync your slave will only get a max flow of 80% when the master is at to 0-1%
    but if you set the master to 80% and the slave to 50% anti-sync your slave pump will only get a max flow of 40% when the master is at 0-1% in its program cycle
    Jon

Frequent Contributor
    My slave would now run at 50% of its power not just 50% of the "masters" setting

The best way to test this is to turn on your your master to constant at 100% and use the classic dashboard and the slider to change the % of power and see what the slave pump does...as the classic dashboard will give you almost instant changes in value and Fusion has a delay that has messed with results before.
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Okay, If by testing like that.....This would confirm what i thought. When i set my MP40Left to constant at 100% and my MP40Right to SYNC. MP40Right didnt change its speed. It stuck at the same speed. So this should confirm my thinking that the % in SYNC/ANTI-SYNC is not the percentage of the "MASTER" but it is the percentage of the true power going to the SLAVE

however, I found that the best way to test is to set one to PULSE and the other to ANTISYNC. Set the ANTISYNC to 100% and the PULSE to 100%. Obviously they both go 100%. Then when setting the PULSE to 10% they both slow down even if ANTISYNC is at 100%.

so........I was wrong. ANTISYNC is working off a percentage of the PULSE pump. Sorry if i confused anyone.

Frequent Contributor
    I am not saying that there could be an issues as I don't vortech pumps anymore....

I just was checking on your verbiage of sync...this would be the slave does exactly the same as the master (master 100% - slave 100%) (master 50% - slave 50%)

did you test anti-sync (master 80% - slave 20%) (master 20% - slave 80%)
    Jon

Frequent Contributor
    so........I was wrong. ANTISYNC is working off a percentage of the PULSE pump. Sorry if i confused anyone.
    Sorry didn't see this addition to your post when I was responding...so it is working for you now?
    Jon

Frequent Visitor
    Although....can you see why it would be nice to know....It would be awesome if these numbers made sense....but i cant seem to figure it out

speeds.PNG

Frequent Contributor
    Ramshock I would need to see the full graph on the pump wizards but looking at the MP60_Left code it starts off at 36% @ 18:55 and will slowly increase power up to 100% @ 19:37 when it will then change to Anti-sync with MP40BLeft...then the power will decrease from 100% down to 55% @ 21:03...and so on.

When using the graphs they do not stay at any one percentage of power they always slowly rise and fall depending on the graph.... unless make two points in a straight line like what I did in my earlier post (but that is why I use a mix of the wizard and advanced programming to rum my WAVs)

Using fusion can skew the numbers as there is a slight delay and refreshing that Fusion does and the pumps can change power percentage in real time is it hard to get them to match that is why I also use the classic dashboard for these cases and the refresh rate on the classic dashboard is almost instant...
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast